considering a 3500 swap

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
themixer

considering a 3500 swap

Post by themixer »

I am seriously considering purchasing LX9Power's 1996 3500 auto beretta.

I would be planning to do a swap to either my 1991 or my 1989 beretta

My largest concern would be keeping the OBD1 setup that's currently in my cars. I would not be planning this to do anything crazy just stick with stock 3500 power.

I would like to get him an answer soon and from the research I have done I just have a few things I want to double check.

1. For obd1 I will need to get a chip from WOT-tech
2. I will have to switch my injector plugs for the 3500 ones
3. I will need a 3400 mount
4. Some wires for sensors will need to be lengthened.

Does the 3500 external crank sensor plug into the same OEM harness?

Otherwise having the complete car for swap will be very helpful for all the misc parts like the coolant bottle.

I have never done a engine swap before but I am sure I can figure it out and have lots of friends that have.

Thanks for the help in advance!

themixer

Re: considering a 3500 swap

Post by themixer »

anyone? I really would like to know these things for sure.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

1. Yes
2. You need to have larger injectors yes... I recommend 28lb or so. 22 would be ok but your on the fine line, and the only injecors that size are the small pencil ones so you need to swap the plugs yes.
3. You need similar mounts as the 3400. I'm not sure if that front mount will be exactly the same, OR if the rear one will even fit a 3500 block... that's where it may get interesting. And unfortunatly I can't fully answer this question.
4. Not typically, mostly just the ICM stuff needs to be re-located but quite possibly not lengthened.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

The mount u can buy from a guy on v6z24.com and as far as the back mount u will have to oblong the holes some to get it to work properly but everything else of what jon said

themixer

Post by themixer »

So just making the holes bigger will do the job for the rear mount? Anything else anyone thinks I should buy/replace to make this better? I just want to know exactly what I am in for, and buget accordingly

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

If you are buying LX9's car for the engine, we may need to talk (there are some other parts on that car I wouldn't mind having).

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Travelor
Global Moderator

Post by Travelor »

What am I missing here..? Is that car made out of a gold brick or something?

1988 GTU
1990 GTZ
Beretta Preservation Society Chairman

"Have you painted your car in a parking lot today?"
LX9Power

Post by LX9Power »

Travelor wrote:What am I missing here..? Is that car made out of a gold brick or something?
Price everything on the car and you will understand.

And I Got 36lb injectors that is included with he car, but I had problem making them work. ( I think One was leaking or something) so I went back to my 3400 injectors.

Everything is pretty strait forward since you will have a car that is similar. everything is plug and play, the only thing that would be missing is the second coolant sensor for the dash. pretty easy fix.

themixer

Post by themixer »

I thought the mounts that are in the 1996 are different than the 1991/1989 setup. I don't really have a garage to change the engine over myself, so I have found someone willing to do it with a lot of experience. I want to tie up all the loose ends before jumping into this, not looking for a lot of power, it will be nice to have a newer more engine. So 3400 injectors as long as they do not hurt the motor I would continue to run these

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

you can run 3400 injectors but you will see they are a on the limit of maxing out if you start tuning, which needs to be done anyways. And yes the 89's had different motor mounts than the 96, Look at Robert's build thread to see what I had to work with and what the mount looks like for the front and the rear.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
LX9Power

Post by LX9Power »

3X00-Modified wrote:you can run 3400 injectors but you will see they are a on the limit of maxing out if you start tuning, which needs to be done anyways. And yes the 89's had different motor mounts than the 96, Look at Robert's build thread to see what I had to work with and what the mount looks like for the front and the rear.
yes they are a limiting factor,hence the 36lbs. You should get them cleaned or fixed. I was using the 3400 injectors because I had no headders and in the tune it seemed enough...but I soon as I got headders I saw the limit quick.

Robert 89gt

Post by Robert 89gt »

28lbs injectors are good for 250whp.So 36lbs would be overkill with just headers.

LX9Power

Post by LX9Power »

Robert 89gt wrote:28lbs injectors are good for 250whp.So 36lbs would be overkill with just headers.
my 'goals were not to Only get a headers ,It was to get a Supercharger on it as well. you can still tune the 36lbs to work, my problem was leaky injectors.

Robert 89gt

Post by Robert 89gt »

LX9Power wrote:
Robert 89gt wrote:28lbs injectors are good for 250whp.So 36lbs would be overkill with just headers.
my 'goals were not to Only get a headers ,It was to get a Supercharger on it as well. you can still tune the 36lbs to work, my problem was leaky injectors.
Yeah I know you can tune for 36lbs injector.Sorry to hear you fell short of your goal.And now you sold your car.That sucks!!!!

LX9Power

Post by LX9Power »

Robert 89gt wrote:
LX9Power wrote:
Yeah I know you can tune for 36lbs injector.Sorry to hear you fell short of your goal.And now you sold your car.That sucks!!!!
Thanks.well I couldn't have 2 beretta. And the other well... it's simply too much of a beast. I want someone in the community to keep on going further with another shell, but me, I don't have a garage nor the place to do what I did again.