Anyone using a performance rad?

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
Alpinestar10

Re: Anyone using a performance rad?

Post by Alpinestar10 »

3400tz on here or 91z24 on v6z24.com has a griffin aluminum radiator. Actually a couple peopleon that site are using that radiator. Just search over there by his user name and griffin

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I haven't used an all-aluminum radiator in one of these cars, but I've been eye-balling one for my old Plymouth, and have talked with a couple of people that use them. I hear nothing but positive feedback from those drivers. But if your turbo/exhaust components are that close that they are destroying the plastic OEM tanks, I would seriously recommend putting some kind of heat-shield in place to protect whatever radiator you do go with.

I have three third-gen Camaros in the family, so I am very well versed in dealing with cars that run too hot because of insufficient air-flow through the radiator... GM's solution for those bottom-feeding heat-beasts was to place an air-dam underneath the radiator core-support to help create a larger pressure-differential. At higher speeds (like racing), it is extremely effective in increasing the airflow, and even adds to the aerodynamic qualities of the car to a very minor degree. It would be cheap and easy to modify or fabricate an air-dam for a Beretta -I will probably build one for my V-8 Indy, now that I'm thinking about it, just because I've had concerns about keeping that engine cool. I've never had problems with either my 3800 SC GTU, or my 3.4 turbo 'Retta getting too hot though...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
nocutt

Post by nocutt »

Rettax3 wrote:... GM's solution for those bottom-feeding heat-beasts was to place an air-dam underneath the radiator core-support to help create a larger pressure-differential. At higher speeds (like racing), it is extremely effective in increasing the airflow, and even adds to the aerodynamic qualities of the car to a very minor degree. It would be cheap and easy to modify or fabricate an air-dam for a Beretta -I will probably build one for my V-8 Indy, now that I'm thinking about it, just because I've had concerns about keeping that engine cool. I've never had problems with either my 3800 SC GTU, or my 3.4 turbo 'Retta getting too hot though...
This perhaps is for the 1% that race their car(s)...but just to mention something about aerodynamic quality. On my car, which was born a GTU, but with a GTZ front fascia...the air dam while it may help with creating a low pressure area behind rad, it also increases front end lift...big time!!

The OEM "bottom breathers" of yesteryears at least on these cars (gtus, gts especially) are not worth keeping if u race your car...well this is complicated, but for the most part 'boxin-in' or shrouding/ducting the radiator is better for both aero and cooling...assuming one can get the post-heated air out of the engine bay effectively...

wicked-irocz

Post by wicked-irocz »

I run a stock rad, fan, heat wrapped exhaust pipes, 180* thermostat, GTZ grill with the upper section of Z26 ducting removed, Cowl hood, and never have overheating issues unless I'm road coursing it. Oh, no turbo blanket.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

The stock Z bumpers had a plastic air dam under the core support to help with air flow to the rad. Mine is long gone and I replaced it with a 1/4" piece of plastic sheet that is like a belly pan for under the car and brings the air from the front bumper to the rad. The wife's Cruze has a similar setup.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
nocutt

Post by nocutt »

woody90gtz wrote:The stock Z bumpers had a plastic air dam under the core support to help with air flow to the rad. Mine is long gone and I replaced it with a 1/4" piece of plastic sheet that is like a belly pan for under the car and brings the air from the front bumper to the rad. The wife's Cruze has a similar setup.

Hi Woody do you mind posting a full pic of setup, I kind of remember this but it has been years. This is not a splitter right? so it fold under the front ground effect!?!??!

A friend of mine has a setup on a mustang, he took out the air dam and did something like a skid plate...he will overheat while racing (intercooled-supercharged car)...our solution was to make a splitter and box in the ic, oil cooler and radiator...
Regardless this is a project I will like to look into give air minimal route to escape except through the these cores...
thanks

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Whats that one rogue Phillips head screw in there... LOL

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"