ATTENTION AC DELCO OIL FILTER USERS

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: ATTENTION AC DELCO OIL FILTER USERS

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I only change my oil once a year... This year was an exception because I went to TN then drove around a bit, beat on it at the dragstrip in Sept, and then when I went back this Oct I though it would be a good idea for fresh oil since I had changed it back in June.

For the daily as noted I use the WIX filters, and I have about 4 WIX HP filters for the retta's... I'll probably keep using those as well.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
neech

Post by neech »

I've been using either wix...or purolator full syn filters depending where Iam when I need a filter...anybody know if the purolators are any good ? I haven't had a prob...

93 retta gt quasar
whiteretta

ATTENTION AC DELCO OIL FILTER USERS

Post by whiteretta »

Purolators (especially the Gold's) are good filters too, keep using what you're using.

1994 Chevy Beretta, mild 3500 swap.
https://youtube.com/@MurphRocks86?si=mpCQc0DnEitPx3Jg
ronaconda

Post by ronaconda »

3X00-Modified wrote:Napa Gold is made by WIX that is correct, I've heard that elsewhere.

I also buy my oil filters in bulk online... I just ordered a whole case of WIX ones for my legacy and forester for 4 bux each. (The 23PSI bypass valve setting is the reason why I use WIX on my subaru's. Say what you will but that is not created equal across brands and will pump unfiltered dirty oil into your engine if it's not right.)

Case of 6, long S10 style filter XP version

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix51036xp.html

OR just get it from Rockauto at $7.42 each.

If WIX alone is good enough then http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix51036.html $3.58 each.

I'm also a bit confused... PF47 is still listed on RockAuto for the beretta, the PF47E is actually more expensive, Yet you say it's discontinued... A PF52 is also available for 5 cents more than the E version.

For Reference
ACDelco PF47 OEM, PF52 S10 style Longer filter
WIX 51040 OEM 51040XP Extreme performance OEM, 51036 S10 Longer 51036XP S10 Longer Extreme performance.

I guess to sum it up, you back yourself in a corner if you only buy filters from a box store...
That's good info given how much i change mine in a year!!! Thanks Jon!!!

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

3X00-Modified wrote:Napa Gold is made by WIX that is correct, I've heard that elsewhere.
I also buy my oil filters in bulk online... I just ordered a whole case of WIX ones for my legacy and forester for 4 bux each. (The 23PSI bypass valve setting is the reason why I use WIX on my subaru's. Say what you will but that is not created equal across brands and will pump unfiltered dirty oil into your engine if it's not right.)
Case of 6, long S10 style filter XP version
http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix51036xp.html
OR just get it from Rockauto at $7.42 each.
If WIX alone is good enough then http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix51036.html $3.58 each.
I'm also a bit confused... PF47 is still listed on RockAuto for the beretta, the PF47E is actually more expensive, Yet you say it's discontinued... A PF52 is also available for 5 cents more than the E version.
For Reference
ACDelco PF47 OEM, PF52 S10 style Longer filter
WIX 51040 OEM 51040XP Extreme performance OEM, 51036 S10 Longer 51036XP S10 Longer Extreme performance.
I guess to sum it up, you back yourself in a corner if you only buy filters from a box store...
I don't recall hearing about the S10 long-body filter used on our engines before... That is a good tip, I will likely switch over to those -I did the same thing with my 'old' '88 Camaro and '89 RS Camaro (both are 350 engines sourced from other vehicles), using the larger truck/van 350 filters instead of the pax-car filter. Thank you.

You also need to watch out for shipping costs on some of these internet sites (I have no experience with the fleet-supply company you mention, but that sounds like a great deal), as some of them charge enough to make it about the same cost as doing business locally.
Usually, I just get the filters when they are on sale and stock-up, or just buy the filter when I get the oil, usually lately as an 'oil-change special' to make it cheaper. For example, I picked up five quarts of Castrol full Synthetic and a WIX filter for both our GSX-1100F (Suzuki Katana, actually a 1236 now) and ZX-6E (Kawasaki Ninja) for $32 per bike, and will be getting $20 total rebate back too, hard to beat that deal, basically the filters are free. Rock Auto is a great resource too though, I stocked-up on fuel filters for my cars from them not long ago -I have something like ten cars that all use the same filter, so I just ordered a case of that one. Best thing is to shop around and watch for a sale -oil changes aren't like a break-down on the side of the road, you usually know 3-5k miles ahead of time that you are going to need one, so why not get what you need a little cheaper by planning ahead? :wink:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

With shipping the standard wix S10 filter came to 4.97 each, it was 16 bux to ship a case to me... that's still cheaper than the K&N at Autozone, Purolators are 8 bux, mobil 1's are 13.... and Yeah every once and a while you get a decent oil and filter deal but it seems like every time I go to get my oil change the deals suck ass... I've been buying my oil from Wal-Mart and I get the filters online.

I'm seriously contemplating getting a 5-gal pail of oil next time around... At least for the Daily cars. I use Rotella T6 on those. Don't really have a standard that I use on the Beretta though... I will swap between Valvoline Mobil 1, and Royal Purple... Haven't broke it yet and I'm not easy on it so I guess they are all good oils... LOL

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"