Planning my 3400 swap

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
red91gtz

Planning my 3400 swap

Post by red91gtz »

I decided I would like to have a thread to collect all the info I can find so I can gather parts. ( I did lots of searching so sorry for another thread)

A bit of background on my car. 92 gtz with a 3.1 and automatic transmission

So fars what I've gathered I need to buy is these parts, including-

Throttle cable
Coil pack mounting equipment
Montana lower radiator hose
3 wire coolant sensor/pigtail-found a P/N GM/Delco Part # 10096181(from themixer's thread)
I'd like to delete the ac system so I need the pulley and bracket
EGR delete plate
Chip with a tune for the 3400/EGR delete
3400 manifolds with custom down pipe
(I'll add onto this once I do more digging)

Heres things that are blury to me-
Do I need a custom motor mount? I read 87-91 do but nothing on a 92 with a auto
Do I need a new kick down cable for the trans?
What can I use for vaccum tubing, all the stuff on my car is old and brittle and could I replace it with rubber lines?

Thanks for all the help, its greatly appreciated.

92 GTZ 3.1/auto, no real mods other then a strut bar, I fight hard enough to get it road worthy!
Money pit Beretta

Re: Planning my 3400 swap

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Use your stock throttle shaft and put it into the 3400 TB. That way you can keep your cables. There are places that sell the hard plastic vacuum tubing or you can use rubber.
WOT-Tech has a 3400 swap chip for the 5sp if you have thoughts of keeping the that trans.

keep'em flying!
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

Can you put a 3.1 throttle body shaft on the 3400?

Cliff Scott
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Oops must have been half asleep. Think those shafts are much longer. Sometimes in the morning the brain is in default mode.

keep'em flying!
themixer

Post by themixer »

i am interested about the 1992 mount a friend is performing a 3100 swap on one.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

If the 92 mount is the same as the 96 one then there is nothing special you need to do... Bolt it to the side of the motor and your done.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
red91gtz

Post by red91gtz »

3X00-Modified wrote:If the 92 mount is the same as the 96 one then there is nothing special you need to do... Bolt it to the side of the motor and your done.
Awesome. And i can reuse the lower torque mount then?

And your mr. pink has a automatic right? Did you do that with a quad throttle box?

92 GTZ 3.1/auto, no real mods other then a strut bar, I fight hard enough to get it road worthy!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

yes you can re-use the lower torque mount and no I don't have a quad throttle box, I have an electronically controlled transmission without the kick down cable. 94-96 is a completely different swap, even more plug and play when it comes to a 3400...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
red91gtz

Post by red91gtz »

3X00-Modified wrote:yes you can re-use the lower torque mount and no I don't have a quad throttle box, I have an electronically controlled transmission without the kick down cable. 94-96 is a completely different swap, even more plug and play when it comes to a 3400...
Oh i see. Thanks for the info

Outlaw1846

Post by Outlaw1846 »

What is your 3400 coming out of... i did the 3400 swap in my car using the guidebook that floats around and it was alot of help. the mounting was a last minute surprise once the cradle was out of the car and we went from a hopeful weekend swap to about a month of nights a weekends due to a planned trip and my father fabircating a new front mount (passenger side of the car) and notching the oil pan, the engine was out of about a 2003 grand am gt.
original lower monunt
chopped up
notched pan
completed mount, i was outta town when this happened and therefore dont have anything more then that for mount build progress but my dad assured me that it would actually hold factory engine again (like that is gonna happen :P)
A/C side of the 3100 without the compressor.
this is the lower and upper mount on the new engine with A/C delete pully ( you can get this at most parts stores if you look up by car application of the engine or rockauto carries it as well i believe) . this is something i just remembered looking at the photos, we had to chop the upper mount extension that goes down the block behind the delete pulley.

i'll admit that i totally forgot the temp sensor and we did a wire extension and pipe adapters to a available water jacket access in the front of the block and my temp gauge only really works at running hot or when the car is sitting at idle for a minute or two and it gets a chance to read the temp going by. between the pipe adapters and the location being next to a cylinder wall we don't have the sensor actually in the block really to read the collallant easily.

i stuck with the coil pack mounting i left stock from the grand am setup. rear of motor when mounted. i had to pull it out of the way when doing plugs and wires a couple months ago but really is a good spot and clearance for it.

for EGR delete we just cut up the egr and welded the whole shut from the pipe and has worked just fine, unless you want something that is going to look nice and shiny or no access to a welder.

We cheated and just trimmed the factory upper hose for the radiator and it only has a slight kink, nothing that would really hurt anything.

Your heater hoses are a trick and all we did is hook to the factory in and out on the engine and we ended up extending the hoses around the brake booster used just a cheap doorman heater hose-to-hose adapter but the coolant will wear these out and burst on you ( :P "oh that truck overheated must be why i smell antifreeze" fast forward ten minutes " i'm reading hotter then normal -stops in parking lot for booze- thats steam under my hood .... sonofaf***")

I sadly cannot help with your automatic transmission, My car already had a 5spd in it.

If you think of any specific questions that seem to pertain doing this on a 92 shoot me a message and i'll try and remember what we did on mine, it has been a couple years