1992 Beretta unusual setup

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
themixer

1992 Beretta unusual setup

Post by themixer »

A member on here that doesn't post often and is local to me is building something unusual with leftover parts.

Acquired a 1992 Beretta originally from Texas for $200 with a blown motor + trans

Time to build something weird:

Motor 1998 grand AM 3100
Trans 1992 Beretta 2.2 automagic TH125c

So the car is together as he works quickly, now to figure out the tune. I contacted Ben from WOT tech thinking this wouldn't be a big deal, he brought up an interesting point about the 2.2 auto trans, the speed sensor.

Cannot figure out the proper input parameters for google to give me the information I need. Ben also says the factory service manuals do not have what I need. Says "There is a divisor and a PPM".

Does anyone know if these transmissions would output the same signal? I do realize this is a bit of an odd setup, but its all parts that fit together and didn't cost much.

Asylum

Re: 1992 Beretta unusual setup

Post by Asylum »

That trans likely has a fairly high RPM stall and an "interesting" FDR.

It is not electronic, so it can't be that hard to figure out.

May need a throttle cable/kick down box and a couple cables, and that can be a friggen PITA to get set up.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
themixer

Post by themixer »

All of that is done the car, parts are already installed and kick down is taken care of. The only thing is the tune !

Car currently runs just poorly which is to be expected.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Try a quad 4 memcal from an automatic equipped vehicle. But its a far reach.

_________
-------------
themixer

Post by themixer »

I don't think that is going to help, really just need to know if the VSS output is the same as the the 3.1 transmission of the same year.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

No reason whatsoever the VSS would be any different 2.2 vs 3.1. Check the parts on Rock Auto or O'Reilly for compatibility -same VSS, and the reluctor ring should have the same number of grooves. Why not just plug it in and try it? If you do have issues with it, due to PPM (Pulse Per Mile) differences or even signal differences (square-wave DC vs sine-wave AC, etc) GA vs Beretta, which I doubt you will face given the years of the parts, a Dakota Digital SGI-5c will be able to correct them all. I use one in my '90 Turbo 'Retta, 3400/3.1 turbo hybrid, original five-speed car using an older Cavalier five-speed which uses the wrong type VSS to talk to the Beretta speedometer. Worse, I switched my cluster out with an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme International full digital cluster, so everything related on that car is mismatched. But the speedo works flawlessly, thanks to the SGI-5. ~$80 if you look hard enough. But I still doubt you will need it.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26