Educate me on N20 kits

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
DanteGTZ

Educate me on N20 kits

Post by DanteGTZ »

Alright - we all know how nitrous helps an engine produce power. But - I've never investigated a kit for any of my cars - primarily because I don't know enough about the kits that are available or how they work [exactly] on a car. I get the basics of a bottle, supplying nitrous via jets/nozzles but how do I know choose a kit for my car? At what point do I need a wet kit? If I wanted to add a 50/75hp shot, where would I start??

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
woody90gtz

Re: Educate me on N20 kits

Post by woody90gtz »

I would always go wet. Nitrous makes more power by supplying more oxygen, which will allow the burning of more fuel. A wet kit lets you match the nitrous/fuel ratio independent of the engine fueling.

A fogger nozzle is the easiest solution for a Beretta. It's one nozzle that you plumb into the intake pipe before the throttle body that supplies both nitrous and fuel.

Rule of thumb for v8s is most any engine will survive a 100shot. I would think 50 or more would be ok in a 4cyl.

You'll also want colder spark plugs, and it's best to reduce timing by a couple degrees as well. I don't think Jon changed timing on his 95 though. He will have more Beretta-specific knowledge.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Engine masters did a show on this with a v8 engine:
https://www.motortrendondemand.com/deta ... _dyukbedc/

I agree that a wet system will be best for starting as it delivers the proper fuel/nitrous ratio. Colder plugs are good to help keep from melting things as it will get hot.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

1 step colder for a 75 shot and 2 steps for a 100 shot...

Yes wet kit all the way... Otherwise you will have to find a way to tell the ECU to provide more fuel when the system is engaged, OR you have a pig rich N/A tune at WOT... neither is ideal.

Any universal fogger kit will work... To this day that is all I am running... the original kit I got way back in 2003 or something... I honestly don't remember when I bought it.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

3X00-Modified wrote:1 step colder for a 75 shot and 2 steps for a 100 shot...

Yes wet kit all the way... Otherwise you will have to find a way to tell the ECU to provide more fuel when the system is engaged, OR you have a pig rich N/A tune at WOT... neither is ideal.

Any universal fogger kit will work... To this day that is all I am running... the original kit I got way back in 2003 or something... I honestly don't remember when I bought it.
Is it necessary to retard spark timing for Nitrous?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

depending on how large of a shot you administer yes... That's like asking do you have to retard spark when adding boost... Eventually you do because combustion chamber pressure will increase, and too soon of a spark and you can crack a piston.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

3X00-Modified wrote:depending on how large of a shot you administer yes... That's like asking do you have to retard spark when adding boost... Eventually you do because combustion chamber pressure will increase, and too soon of a spark and you can crack a piston.
About how much did you spend in total for your Nitrous system on your 3500?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Hard to really calculate... I bought a universal 50-100 shot kit YEARS ago and added to it over time... Purge valve, Nitrous progressive controller, Bottle warmer, bottle pressure gauge... and god who knows what else I've bought over the years.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"