Computer Tuning Question

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
BLK96Z

Computer Tuning Question

Post by BLK96Z »

Hey, whats the word on tuning for the 96 OBDII cars??? I have a 96 Z26 i wanna start playing with and i want to be able to tune. HPTuners does not support the 96 PCMs. Can I swap out my PCM for one from like a 97+ car and flash my program on it??? Anyone know anything about this topic?

1996 BERETTA Z26
Asylum

Re: Computer Tuning Question

Post by Asylum »

Just keep playing the Jeopardy song in your head waiting until Lil'Jon, or Geoff or one of the guys who are chapter and verse on this subject to step up.

But YES it can be done by folks way smarter than me.

BTW.., Welcome!

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Acquire a used DHP unit and tune all day on the 96 PCM, or swap to a 97 Venture PCM and tune all day...

OR buy a brand new HPTuner and install a 1997 Monte Carlo 3100 4t60e ecm and tune away... There may be some codes you'll have to shut off but I'm not certain on that one, I know there were 2 or 3 I needed to disable on the 97 Venture file I'm using.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
BLK96Z

Post by BLK96Z »

3X00-Modified wrote:Acquire a used DHP unit and tune all day on the 96 PCM, or swap to a 97 Venture PCM and tune all day...

OR buy a brand new HPTuner and install a 1997 Monte Carlo 3100 4t60e ecm and tune away... There may be some codes you'll have to shut off but I'm not certain on that one, I know there were 2 or 3 I needed to disable on the 97 Venture file I'm using.

Sence I am new to the tuning game, I have two questions. First, what is a DHP? I am assuming its a tuning program like the HPTuners. And second, will the Venture and Monte PCMs just plug into my factory harness, or are mods required? Oh, and would you guys happened to know where the PCM is on a 96Z? Me and my buddy looked around for it and didn't find it. He has a Redline Ion he is tuning with HPTuners and he said it should be in the engine bay like most new cars, but I think mine may be in the car. Maybe under the dash on the pass side??? Thanks guys! I really appriciate your help!

1996 BERETTA Z26
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

It's in the kick panel on the passenger side.

That much I can tell you. :unknown:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
BLK96Z

Post by BLK96Z »

Nice! I knew it! LoL Thanks buddy!Me and my friend are heading to the junkyard now. Gonna go hunt me down a PCM. Hey, do I have to enter like my vehicle VIN in the new PCM for like emissions testing??? I know when they hook it up to the machine they get all kinds of info, but does the machine know what car it is on, or just the engine?

1996 BERETTA Z26
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

It plugs right into your harness... And the HPtuner wont work unless he has enough credits to add another vehicle to it.

As far as vin goes, they never plugged my 96 in when I had my 97 ecm in there, so honestly I can't tell you the answer to that... Also I'm not even sure if you can change a vin using HPtuners like you can with a DHP unit, and yes DHP is a tuner that is now out of business, hence finding a used one.. (aka Digital Horsepower)

Tuning is not an easy endeavor... be ready to read and learn a lot.

And technically the ECM is behind the glove box, not the kick panel... remove glove box, Voila there it is, you need to take the lower cover panel off underneath to get it out though.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
BLK96Z

Post by BLK96Z »

Nice! Well i don't know much about tuning so i am not even gonna try. I am gonna be learning around my budy with the Ion who will actually be tuning the car. I knew about the credits and Ill just buy those so its not big deal. Thanks for all your input. Any recomendations on what we should chance? Rad Fan on temp? Top speed limiter? Rear O2 delete? Those are all things he has done on his redline. Just figured id ask. :-)

1996 BERETTA Z26
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

If you are still using the factory 3100 engine the only things you will probably need to modify are the transmission controls. The stock autos leave a lot on the table. I found that out when I drove Jon's car compared to my stock 4t60e with otherwise similar drivetrain.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Trans tables FTW! Adjusting shift up and shift down points and WOT max RPM shift points change everything for those cars...

2nd 02 delete does nothing unless its missing and throwing a code, top speed limiter... i just bumped mine to 155, because seriously who wants to go faster than that... fan turn on temp... well not that necessary unless your cooling system is sub par and you spend a lot of time in traffic.

You can go through the books and do a VE and MAF tune to fine tune your mileage, I've done minimal things on my old 3400 thats in the red car now and I've been averaging 25mpg or higher every tank, when before I would get 19 when I first swapped it in. I'm sure I can get better too since I was able to pull off 28mpg on the hybrid in my pink car on my way to Raleigh last year with the 3.42 gearing too.

BUT to tune WOT your walking into the dark with no flashlight if you don't have a wideband O2 sensor... If you get a wideband, then you can tune WOT to a constant 12.8:1 a/f and maximize power... Looking at A/F commanded in the ECM is not what your getting, and looking at the factory O2 is useless since it's only accurate in the Stoich area which is 14.7:1

If you have an intake an exhaust you can benefit from a VE and MAF tune some. It wont be night and day difference since those mods are not radical to the point where the ECM couldn't compensate, but it will help with mileage and some power.

You will need to correct your PPM setting for your speedo, since most of the 97 cars have different sized tires and a different tooth count on the differential.

Let me know what ECM you end up with and I'll let you know what codes you probably need to shut off right in the beginning... I do it under the "reporting" section too, I'll just change them to no reporting and leave the DTC enabled, so if they do scan my car as a 97 venture it will show up as "ready" for emissions testing and pass... If you "disable" the DTC the system automatically shows up as "not ready" and you will fail if they test it by the car ECM you have.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
BLK96Z

Post by BLK96Z »

Wow... I am so glad there are people like you guys who know all this stuff. I can do anything with mechanical, but this whole OBDII stuff is still a bit over my head. I just got back form the junk yard. Got a PCM from a 1997 Monte Carlo with a 3100. :-) Please let me know what tunes i should change right off the bat. The car starts and runs, but is running very rich and has a SES light on. Thanks guys!!!

1996 BERETTA Z26