Q about order...

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
Twitch21

Q about order...

Post by Twitch21 »

Yes, I know, another odd, random, almost pointless post from me. Hopefully my last for a while (so you're rid of me) unless some stuff comes up.

Probably most of you know that I'm starting to look into aftermarket parts and things to do for my Beretta but something has been bugging me lately. I know there's only so much I can do to my 2.8L without hitting a wall then having to do a swap anyway. Is it worth it to swap in a 3400 first THEN look into intake/exhaust etc. Or is that basic stuff easily xfered over to the new block? My 2.8 has a few miles on it already so going all out on it won't be my best option right now.

Well it all boils down to:
1) Save up for swap?
2) Go for the basics now then swap later?

If swapping is the way to go what sort of stuff should I look into doing while I'm dropping a new block in? Is it good idea for turbo or anything right away or do some other upgrades first?

Thanks again guys.

'88 Beretta GT
5 Speed
2.8L
Stock everything except the sound system.
z284pwr

Q about order...

Post by z284pwr »

Save up for a swap....even with stock exhaust and intake, you will make A LOT more power with a 3400 than a 2.8.  With the cost of a good exhaust and intake, you could have gotten a 3400, which will net you somewhere around 2 seconds off ET, BerettaSpeed went from like a 16.2 or so to a 14.3 with the engine swap

Edit - Scratch that, I did further research....

16.509@82.09MPH with the 2.8
14.598@93.27MPH with the 3400 as close to stock as I could find, and eventually down to 14.313@95.37MPH with an intake, clutch and open exhaust

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
Asylum

Q about order...

Post by Asylum »

Do the swap. It will end up costing you ALOT less than trying to get a 2.8 anywhere near the power available from a dead stock 3400.

Plus it will be a fresher engine and should add years of life to your car.

Eric

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
Twitch21

Q about order...

Post by Twitch21 »

What's the labour involvement on that sort of swap. I can probably get around to finding the engine itself, but I definatly know that I won't be able to put it in myself.

'88 Beretta GT
5 Speed
2.8L
z284pwr

Q about order...

Post by z284pwr »

(Twitch21 @ Oct. 06 2005,18:40)Q
U
O
T
EWhat's the labour involvement on that sort of swap. I can probably get around to finding the engine itself, but I definatly know that I won't be able to put it in myself.
Honestly, to tell you the truth, its not nearly as hard as it looks.....
If you have a set of metric tools, you could do the swap more than likely.  I think the hardest part in the whole thing is popping out the CVs from the trans....*easier to pull the engine and trans out togther from our experience*, which is easy to...but anyways, to have someone do it, you will probably pay double what you get the engine for

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
Twitch21

Q about order...

Post by Twitch21 »

Ooch, well I'll talk to my pa (this'll be a sort of project car for us). I know I really want to do up a 'retta but mine really isn't worth it as of yet. If I'm to put a whole lot of time into mine I'll need to repaint and fix a bit of rust appearing on my driver door first. Then pull out pretty much my entire interior for something a bit more classy.

Chances are I won't get around to the swap, if I do it, until spring. But I really look forward to having a Beretta that'll take my friend's new '95 integra. (Unless he does work on it too). Actually I could probably beat him right now. But that's only because he can't drive stick very well.  

'88 Beretta GT
5 Speed
2.8L