89 retta gt gettin a new turbocharged heart

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
TooManyCars

Post by TooManyCars »

OK I have the motor and tranny out of one of my parts car tgps sitten in the shop lookin all lonely and I got thinking that I should put the motor and tranny into my retta..

Now I did a search and found a few things... One being the crossover problome. should be ok since I have the hole setup and will just transfer any of the needed parts from one of my parts cars.

So What do I need to know .. what should i look out for.. I will be haveing Jeff M. make a crossover . I will be useing a disco potato in place of the t25. and will be installing a BOV.

I am going to try to transfer some of the other componets from the tgp such as the the rear disk brakes and master clinder.. and anthing elaes I can upgrade..

well thats all for now I will post some pics latter..

91 cavaliver z24 5 spd,
89&90 TGP auto
90 olds toronado trofeo auto,
86 GLX RX7 5 spd,
85 nissan 300zx 5spd,
84 dodge ram,
http://www.kustomdreamzcc.zoomshare.com/
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

Sounds like you'll need a custom crossover and you got that solved.
What is a disco potato??
The rear disc brakes will be a problem most likely as the grand prix's have differen't hubs bolt patterns etc. But if you can make it work by swapping the whole axle and it fits, then props to you. You'll have to run different wheels on the back though for the bolt pattern and that might look funny.

You can swap over the chip into your computer if you don't have it from the TGP then there is someone online that burns them and sells them with tweaked code that fixes some GM bugs and inproves stock performance.

Other than that swap the motor along with the sensors. Shouldn't be too drastic since you're replacing a 2.8/3.1 with a 3.1turbo which are very simalar of course.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
89GTZ

Post by 89GTZ »

SCC loves the disco potatoe.

89GT(Z)
15.904@85.15 - many years ago
TooManyCars

Post by TooManyCars »

this is a disco potato
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....meZWDVW

A Garrett GT28RS .. Will bolt up. Jeff M. burns chips and lives very close ..check out his page
http://www.turbograndprix.com/

He is a Very busy guy but likes to help with a good project.. I have worked with him befor .. Very good guy knows what hes talkin about ...

Now I need to start looking around the junk yards for a body kit..

91 cavaliver z24 5 spd,
89&90 TGP auto
86 GLX RX7 5 spd,
85 nissan 300zx 5spd,
84 dodge ram,
z284pwr

Post by z284pwr »

Lets see here.....

Crossover won't work, transmission mount is in the way, have to get a custom one built that will put the turbo infront of the mount or weld in the newer style mount...

Okay, moving on, umm, you want to put a PMIII master cylinder in your car, are you nuts?  haha, wow, just wow, not a good idea, generally people take them out, they are cool and all being hydraulic instead of vacuum assisted but they suck, you tried stoping a 3400 pound car with no assisted braking, just suddenly, yeah not fun
Anyways, seriously, like mentioned, the brakes are 115x5 lug pattern as to where the Beretta is 100x5 so no they won't work unless you plan on doing some custom modifications and want to use 115x5 lug pattern or dual pattern lug wheels.

Make sure you install the TGP memcal and electronics.  The Boost Control Solenoid in other words, oh and fuel injectors, don't need to be running 16 lb/hr injectors with boost, they already getting close N/A as it is.  Anyways, good luck

Oh yeah, and yes Jeff is a good guy, knows his stuff, now if only he would release that damn turbo upgrade for the TGP and include a chip that will actually run, damn having a stock chip in an upgraded engine, terrible boost ramp control, and rev limiter, it sucks....

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
TooManyCars

Post by TooManyCars »

So what is the deal with the tranny mount.. I have the motor and tranny still bolted together as it came out of the car .. If i worked in the tgp what would be the dif in the retta.. other then  the down pipe being closer to the fire wall and posible stearing rack clearance problomes..

What brake MC would you use.. I know that the bolt patterns are diff. I dont plan on useing the hub and rotor. Just converting the drums to disk useing the caliper and other hardware.

I have jeffs topgun chips in my tgps and they are runing with out a problom.. I dont know what I will use in the thrid tgp thow.. that one is going to be mainly stip ran and with all the upgrades I Would like to use a piggyback setup...

91 cavaliver z24 5 spd,
89&90 TGP auto
86 GLX RX7 5 spd,
85 nissan 300zx 5spd,
84 dodge ram,
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

Ah you know of Jeff. Cool. Anyways the problem with the trans mount is that unless you have a 92-93 car it will be in the way of the TGP crossover. You can modify the mount, as I've heard some do, or moddify/make a new crossover that clears it.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
TooManyCars

Post by TooManyCars »

I was planing on removing it compleatly and going about it the tgp way.. I have the rad suport that I will weld into place to use the two dogbone mounts.. . I have A good welder and A good chop saw and grinder so Im sure i will figure something out...

91 cavaliver z24 5 spd,
89&90 TGP auto
86 GLX RX7 5 spd,
85 nissan 300zx 5spd,
84 dodge ram,
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

It would probably be easier to just fab up a crossover.

_________
-------------
TooManyCars

Post by TooManyCars »

maybe.. I will bring the car into the shop tomarrow before I go to work and get it ready to pull the motor and tranny .. after thats done I will see what will work best.

91 cavaliver z24 5 spd,
89&90 TGP auto
86 GLX RX7 5 spd,
85 nissan 300zx 5spd,
84 dodge ram,
TooManyCars

Post by TooManyCars »

Today I cleand up a spot in the shop, and got everything preped.. (aka Cleand up my mess).. I finaly got all my new toys on my sled and put it out in the side shed.. I will take as many pics as I can and post the progress.

91 cavaliver z24 5 spd,
89&90 TGP auto
86 GLX RX7 5 spd,
85 nissan 300zx 5spd,
84 dodge ram,