99 3400 swap

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
beretta

99 3400 swap

Post by beretta »

I know this has been a topic of many, i cant find any of my older post about this subject.

My dads got a 99 grand am with a 3400. hes selling me the engine for $250 bucks. runs good, has coolant leaking somewhere, the people bought a new car didnt want to sink more money into it.

Will that engine bolt directly into my 96 ? i only have to change the injectors so it will run off my ecm ?? no other sensors ect need changed ?

And it has the 4T45-E.. Applications:

3.63:1

Pontiac Grand Am
1 2 3 4 R
2.95 1.62 1.00 0.68 2.14

Would this be a better trany to use in the beretta ? just drop the whole motor and trany in together or am i better off using the trany in my car ?.

I have the 2000 + upper intake ill be putting on the engine. and suspect it needs intake gaskets. it has a leak under the throttle body side dripping onto the trany.... my beretta just was leaking in that area and it was the heater line so might get lucky.

And whats your thoughts on a cam for the 3400 or just drop it in and go as is ?

scd88ga

Re: 99 3400 swap

Post by scd88ga »

Seeing as it's a 99, you don't have to swap the injectors, 99's have the older style like your 96! They Plug right in! A mild aftermarket solid cam would be an improvement over the hollow POS that's in there now! lol

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
beretta

Post by beretta »

well this sounds simple and painless... i think right now i just want to put it in. if i wait to put a cam in before installing.. it will take me all dam summer cuz i barley have free time as it is with work. i figured i could just go to the shop, pull the 3400 out of the grand am and pull the one out of my beretta and have it swapped in over night and drive it home the next morning that would be cool. its got to be an improvement over the 3100 and last me the summer as is. then in the winter when i park the car ill pull the engine and do some work to it then.

Would be even more cool if its not the intake gaskets leaking.. i think it could be the heater line.

Go figure though..... i just spend all weekend ripping my 3100 apart to put intake gaskets in and timing cover gaskets.. ive been wanting and looking for a 3400 for ever, my dads been looking for ever to find a scrap car with a 3400. and now i get new gaskets in my car and spent all that money and time into it now he finds the motor lol..

240,000 k on it or so.. been having a slow leak of coolant for a while, they had rad hose and stuff replaced and other stuff and still leaking, dad says it looks wet on the driver side on the trany, so im guessing and hopping its just the coolant line.

$250 bucks with the trany.. i just wasted that much for gaskets on my 3100. at least i know the 3100 is a good strong engine.. ill probably keep it and swap it into my 88 5 speed in place of the old school 3.1.
And the trany from the grand am ill stick away some place as a backup for the 96.

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

beretta wrote:well this sounds simple and painless... i think right now i just want to put it in. if i wait to put a cam in before installing.. it will take me all dam summer cuz i barley have free time as it is with work. i figured i could just go to the shop, pull the 3400 out of the grand am and pull the one out of my beretta and have it swapped in over night and drive it home the next morning that would be cool.
It's NOT that simple... But you having a 96 car and a 99 engine is about as simple as it gets when it comes to this swap. Do yourself a favor and read one of the 3400 swap guides so you don't start 10 million threads asking questions that have already been answered! :roll: :wink:

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Please use the search function next time.

http://www.beretta.net/forum/search.php ... mit=Search

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"