Project B - 1991 3400 OBII 5-Speed

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
Luckymc420

Project B

Post by Luckymc420 »

I can't keep updating like pics and things of that nature because it just to much computer time. I will try to keep this updated.  I will have the BStuff Page to be updated on pics.

Project B!

1991 5-Speed Beretta with a 2002 3400 OBDII In progress.....
Money pit Beretta

Project B

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Sounds like DHP is the way to go. I was looking into HP tuners for my 04 Cav LS, but I don't know if I'll get it because it's more for boost and I have a auto trans. Looks like there is alot of info on BSuff. The Cav sits and the Beretta is my driver and the one I like the most (FYI).

keep'em flying!
Luckymc420

Project B

Post by Luckymc420 »

Yea I am going to have to go with the DHP.  I just hope i can get this engine in here soooooon. I feel like I am not doing anything.

Project B!

Money pit Beretta

Project B

You are doing more than you think. I need a rebuild and work inside and out. Hey, just don't burn out! Take some time off if you need to. A few days won't hurt. Sometimes you just need to clear your head so you can move on the right way. Not right now, but someday.

keep'em flying!
Luckymc420

Project B

Post by Luckymc420 »

OK tonight wow.

That crankShaft pully was a SON OF A _ _!!!_!_!____!

I spent so much time on this damn thing.

Ok I used a tool from work to pull the pully off. Um yea Looks like i owe work a new puller.

I broke it in two different places. The first time I could still us it but had to use vice grips. The second one yea that one took the cake.

Look in the middle where the bolt should so.

Also do you see the outer part of the pully missing yet that came off. So I heat the pully and hit it with hammers to try to loosen it up. NO GO.

i tried bolts to push it out. Broke them.

Also broke Crankshaft POS sensor.
Also broke the timing cover.
Then I used the tourch to cut into the pully.

That worked ok I guess.

So my dad comes out because he hears me cussing the pully out. The pully finally comes off. I go inside to take a piss. Come back out and my dad is tapping the crank to help fix the threads. Basically I think he F'D it up. He didn't get the right pitch on the threads and just made the wrong size 2 big. So now I am thinkin new crankshaft. If I do that I will prolly just do the whole engine rebuild with better pistons and the whole shabang.

I think I am going to stop working on it tonight and drink/think. Kinda Pissed off.

Project B!

Cliff8928
Administrator

Project B

Post by Cliff8928 »

Wow, what a mess. ÂÂÂ I know the puller that I used from Autozone wouldn't fit in that hole the bolt goes in.  And why is that bolt screwed in so far into the timing cover?

the puller should look like this...

Cliff Scott
Luckymc420

Project B

Post by Luckymc420 »

yup I also think the puller is for a steering wheel. well used to be.  After calming down and drinkin some beers, I am going to find a bolt that will fit the crank threads and use that for now.  Get the engine installed and get everything running. Then pull engine back out and do a tear down.  I don't think it is totally F'd up but not something I like.
Oh also I broke the tone ring on the back side of the crank pully.

Project B!

Money pit Beretta

Project B

Yes I'd say a new crank. Man that happend to me on my 83 Z28 it was the same, but I broke two dill bits also trying to get an eazy-out in to take the broken end of the puller out. The box said it was for both and it was Craftsman, so I trusted it. Also it's not good to bang on the end of the crank. The thrust bearings hold the crank in line and it may be out of line now. You don't want to run the car with the wrong size bolt in the end of the crank something might come loose and take out other things a cause more work.

keep'em flying!
Luckymc420

Project B

Post by Luckymc420 »

Well where could i pick up a new crank?  I know i cant afford the engine project.  so ill just get a crank.

Project B!

Money pit Beretta

Project B

I don't know for sure, I'd check GM online first. If you can't find it, tell me and I look also(don't have alot of time though). PAW may have a rebuild kit. Hey, what compression do you need for the turbo? I would also think that you would need better pistons and rods. Camshaft set up for turbo also?

keep'em flying!
Luckymc420

Project B

Post by Luckymc420 »

im not Turbo knowledge but yea pist. rods. head, pisrods well for me i plan on doing a major swap about 4 grand.

Project B!

1988GTU

Project B

Post by 1988GTU »

It might actually be cheaper to pick up an used 3x00 long block.  Around here a crank goes anywhere from 100.00 to 250.00.  A long block is from 150.00 to 450.00 depending miles and who you talk to.  
Just a thought.

_________
-------------
Luckymc420

Project B

Post by Luckymc420 »

Will a long block 3400 fit in my car?

Project B!

wicked-irocz

Project B

Post by wicked-irocz »

you have a long block 3400 right?  a long block means it has the heads installed.

Theres nothing wrong with drilling the bolt out and re-tapping it.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
Luckymc420

Project B

Post by Luckymc420 »

Yea It came basically all together.   Heads, bla, bla, bla.

I got some bolts that have some bigger threads on it.  But before I do all that drilling.  I am going to napa and picking up a some tapping tools that will fit.

Project B!