Addco rear swaybar

Archived topics from the Suspension and Brakes Forum
CoolZ26

Addco rear swaybar

Post by CoolZ26 »

Ok, if anyone has had this problem, could you please let me know how to solve it.  The other day I was walking to my car and noticed the end of the swaybar on the passenger side of the car slid out of the holder underneath the pass. side shock.  I was thinking...hmm what the heck is this about?  The other end of the swaybar was pushed out to the right.  I don't really understand how this shifter like that.  
  So later I jacked it up and loosened the u bolts and the holders underneath the shocks.  Pulled the swaybar into position, and pulled the u bolts to the outer most edges.  Then I tightened the nuts down to more than the "reccomended" 15ft pds.  I think thats weak.  So I torqued it down.  I noticed like last time that the swaybar makes popping and flexing noises when going over bumps or when turning into lower driveways or roadways.  Also, today the driver side of the swaybar is starting to stick out and looks like the passenger side is going to fall out again!  What the heck is up with this?  Did anyone else have problems with this or like this?  HELP!  

Thanks

'04 RSX Type S
14.2@99mph w/ horrible 60'
Injen CAI
Hondata ECU reflash
Hondata IMG
Greddy EVO 2 exhaust
DC Raceheader
ESMM
Eibach Sportlines
AIM= andy4483

Addco rear swaybar

Post by Guest »

Sounds to me like you don't have the hangers positioned at the extreme ends of the bar before it turns. Center the bar so the same distance sticks out on both sides of the outer bushings set, then tighten the outer bushings down. Then, move the inner bushings as far as they will go before the bar starts its bend. That's probably what the problem is.

ErichZ26

Addco rear swaybar

Post by ErichZ26 »

This happened to me at bfest in St louis.  The bracket on mine slipped over though.  I corrected this and retightened the clamps.  I think there was some stretching.   I think it would be a good idea for anyone doing this bar to check the torque after installation and driving a bit.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26

Addco rear swaybar

Post by Guest »

This also happened to me . I called Addco on this and they suggested putting bar clamps to the insides of the brackets tohelp stabilize it .

MAD MARK

Addco rear swaybar

Post by MAD MARK »

OOO Andy, just take the bar off and sell it to me. Saves you time and gives you money.

MAD MARK
industrialstrength

Addco rear swaybar

Post by industrialstrength »

How much are these bars and where can I call to order one?

91 GTZ Q4

Addco rear swaybar

Post by Guest »

Yup. It's the center mounts. Move them out to the fartest point they will go right before the bend in the bar. My Z51 bar was doing this allthough it didn't fall out of the mount. After I corrected this I noticed my car handled better!! Now it only rolls a bit and then stops and holds firm. I've broke the rear end loose going around corners several times now and all I have is Z51 bar with FE3 springs and monroe sensitracs. Of course having worn tires doesn't help, but I like the way it handles when the tires brake free, less body roll

And I also have about 100lbs or so of Subwoofers and amplifiers in the rear. Don't know if that hurts or helps..

One thing I wonder about the Addco bar, that the bends start in the middle of the axle sooner than the Z51 bar. Yes the Addco is thicker but the angles start sooner from the middle of the axle. Does that help or hurt in minimizing twist? I would figure the Z51 would twist less due to the design, but the addco might make up for it in thickness...

Addco rear swaybar

Post by Guest »

The Z51 bar actually isn't as stiff as the Addco for that very reason. Lets say that the Addco bar was 22mm, like the Z51 bar. Now, looking at the picture below, and realizing that triangular shapes are Mother Nature's strongest geometrical shape, which would you think is stronger? Yep, the Addco would be. So you add another 4mm onto the diameter of the bar, and whalla! You have one meaty bar, that reduces roll better than the Z51 bar.

*For all intensive purposes, the bars pictured are a 19mm bar (NOT A Z51), and an Addco bar. Even though it's not a Z51 bar, it still has the same shape as the Z51 bar.*

CoolZ26

Addco rear swaybar

Post by CoolZ26 »

Ok, Thanks for the info guys.  Yesterday I took it off b/c I need to find a correct nut for one of the U bolts.  I did have the brackets set really far to the outside...basically up against the bend.  Is that where they should be, up against the bend in the bar?  Thanks for the input, I'll be reinstalling the bar Monday before I head back to school.

'04 RSX Type S
14.2@99mph w/ horrible 60'
Injen CAI
Hondata ECU reflash
Hondata IMG
Greddy EVO 2 exhaust
DC Raceheader
ESMM
Eibach Sportlines
AIM= andy4483

Addco rear swaybar

Post by Guest »

yes as close to the bends as possible.
I was thinking "boy that bar in that picture looks small compared to my z51 bar"