Cai for 1990 gtz

Post information about intake systems. Either purchased or custom made
weba

Re: Cai for 1990 gtz

Post by weba »

I actually tried to make one with industrial vacuum cleaner hose back in 2005, with overly complex routing.

I went straight down from the throttle body, in front of the drivers side tire to behind the fog light.

That would not work with aluminium do-it-yourself CAI kit, way too many pieces that can leak and fell apart. Maybe if you weld all the pieces together and mount it properly.

Here's the only picture I could still find up.

Styluss
Global Moderator

Post by Styluss »

They ran coolant lines into the 2.8 and 3.1L engines too. I live in Colorado and see some cold ass winters and I have never had an issue with having removed that damn thing. And I concur, EGRs are the devil. I can't wait to get the one off my Rally car.

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
1989 GTU Mock - The Neglected Car
1989 Base Model - The Rally Car
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Styluss wrote:EGRs are the devil. I can't wait to get the one off my Rally car.
On my 'new' Yellow Indy, I just pulled the EGR off of the intake, Dremeled-out the gasket just a little, and put in a penny. The car had over $7 in change under the seats, under the center-console, etc, and I dug through it until I found a 1990 penny -I'm just weird that way :wink: . The copper of the penny crushes just a little between the EGR and the intake, sealing really well, like the copper crush-gaskets on brake-hoses. I remember we talked a bit about this on bstuff, I was joking that I was going to develop a 'kit' for this, and charge $9.99. :D I didn't bother blocking-off the exhaust-side of the mount because killing the gas-flow from the intake side is just as effective and ensures no air leakage into the intake, but dropping a coin in between the nipple on the exhaust manifold and the supply tube should work too, IIRC either a nickle or a dime fits right in. I haven't had any problems with the ECM expecting exhaust-gas flow causing the the engine to run weird at highway speeds (where the EGR would typically operate) or other low throttle-settings, and in fact the car seems to be getting better than 30MPG on the highway, despite having the three-speed TH125 auto (for now), so no performance complaints at all.

-Sorry, not trying to thread-jack at all.

Warm-air intakes also help keep throttle-bodies from icing up, whereas a true CAI might be more prone to that problem, but as I said, it takes a very specific condition within certain ranges of atmospheric conditions to actually cause a problem on port-fuel-injected engines (the TBIs on two of my Camaros have never iced over either).

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

if you think a 1990 penny is copper your nuts...
If your Lincoln Memorial penny has a date before 1982, it is made of 95% copper. If the date is 1983 or later, it is made of 97.5% zinc and plated with a thin copper coating.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Styluss
Global Moderator

Post by Styluss »

Rettax3 wrote:
On my 'new' Yellow Indy, I just pulled the EGR off of the intake, Dremeled-out the gasket just a little, and put in a penny.

Dropping a coin in between the nipple on the exhaust manifold and the supply tube should work too, IIRC either a nickle or a dime fits right in.

Warm-air intakes also help keep throttle-bodies from icing up, whereas a true CAI might be more prone to that problem...
1. You're nuts. If that penny ever comes loose it's going in your engine.
2. Just got to Home Depot / Lowes and buy a plug for the exhaust manifold. I have forgotten the size you need, but it screws right in and is like $2
3. Again, I live in Colorado and have seen some damn cold winters. I have had my CAI on the car, with no coolant line running to the throttle body, and I have never even remotely seen this issue.

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Styluss wrote:
Rettax3 wrote:
On my 'new' Yellow Indy, I just pulled the EGR off of the intake, Dremeled-out the gasket just a little, and put in a penny.
1. You're nuts. If that penny ever comes loose it's going in your engine.
2. Just got to Home Depot / Lowes and buy a plug for the exhaust manifold. I have forgotten the size you need, but it screws right in and is like $2
3. Again, I live in Colorado and have seen some damn cold winters. I have had my CAI on the car, with no coolant line running to the throttle body, and I have never even remotely seen this issue.
Ryan, check the size of the inlet port into the intake manifold. The penny would have to fold itself in half to fit into the intake, so I think I am pretty safe. About the worst that can happen is the EGR comes loose and I loose my penny. :roll:

Jon, you are right about the penny's alloy. But the penny's shell is still soft enough to seal really well against minor surface variations, or maybe the intake is softer than the penny's core and deforms to hold the rim of the penny, either way, I'm not having any problems with it, and I can keep my $1.99.

On my '90 turbo LG5 'Retta, I actually tapped the EGR port on the intake manifold for a fitting for the boost-gauge, otherwise I would have had several years of experience to prove that this is a viable solution to having EGR gasses dumped back into the engine.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
Styluss
Global Moderator

Post by Styluss »

Ah... My whole thought process was that you removed the EGR and hammered the penny in the hole. That's half the "benefit" of the EGR delete... actually deleting the EGR! Why have it on there if it's not doing anything? I completely removed mine and put it in a parts box for when I need to have my emissions tests.

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Styluss wrote:Ah... My whole thought process was that you removed the EGR and hammered the penny in the hole. That's half the "benefit" of the EGR delete... actually deleting the EGR! Why have it on there if it's not doing anything? I completely removed mine and put it in a parts box for when I need to have my emissions tests.
Okay, now I understand your concern, yeah, that would be bad... I'm not too worried about the aesthetics of the Yellow Indy's engine-bay right now, and it is the build-up of muck inside the intake from the EGR that I want to avoid, especially with how good this engine is running right now. I want to paint the upper intake manifold and front valve-cover yellow and black to make it look better, but I'm not too worried about 'tricking-out' a stock 3.1, so it will wait until I'm bored enough. I saw a twin-turbo Volvo in the junk-yard this week, and it really got me thinking though... I can tell you one thing for sure, I won't be building another set of turbo headers anytime soon, that was a PITA! But a twin-turbo 3.1, that just sounds like fun.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
Koots

Post by Koots »

No EGR, especially if you are running a turbo.

You guys should see what an EGR does to a big turbo diesel. Just think of all the soot they can produce being shoved back into the engine to make even more dilute sooty exhaust and so on and so on....

carolinaskies

Post by carolinaskies »

Going back to the original post on a CAI,

I would suggest removing the original airbox and moving the battery back about 4 - 5 inches. This would allow you to run a duct through the inner fender and decide where you want to pick up your air from either underneath or through fog light.

I had a '90 GTZ brand new, miss the performance even all these years later and never got a chance to modify it back in the day. I had considered a turbo, brake upgrade, etc, but had to trade the car off to get rid of my car payment so I could afford getting my Bachelors degree. I rarely see them, the last one was in pretty sorry condition and didn't have all the options like sunroof that mine had.