Beretta Z28

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
jjanke

Beretta Z28

Post by jjanke »

so here's the plan. wide body Z28 Beretta. powered by a built 5.7 liter LT1 V8. I've been thinking about doing this for a long time and finally have acquired what i believe to be the pieces to the puzzle. I will do my best to document this transformation and pray that it is even possible.
Attachments
1995 Chevy Beretta Z28
1995 Chevy Beretta Z28

Travelor
Global Moderator

Re: Beretta Z28

Post by Travelor »

I wish you good luck.

Others have tried to build more then a few RWD Berettas/V8 Berettas in the past, only to abandon the projects after realizing it can't be done.

1988 GTU
1990 GTZ
Beretta Preservation Society Chairman

"Have you painted your car in a parking lot today?"
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

http://www.smithperformance.com

Fred will have alot of parts you will need. The Grand Am sub-assemblies all fit Berettas too.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
speedy

Post by speedy »

it can and has been done, just takes a lot of time and patience. there was one for sale by me a few years ago that was rwd with a 350 in it, street legal car too. if you can fab, have the time, money and the means, i say go for it. where are you from? i can help you unload some parts you may not need, especially if its a quad 4. lol

1991 beretta GTZ- 2.3l w41 cams, ported 086 head with a 3 angle valve job, fidanza flywheel with exedy racing clutch, 3.94fdr from and scx, so much more..
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

It can certainly be done. Most just don't have the time or dedication.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Travelor
Global Moderator

Post by Travelor »

To be fair, I know there have been RWD Berettas, but most were tube frames within a shell. Is that really even still considered a Beretta at that point? Looking back at old threads, some tried to convert the uni body to RWD, or use the shell to cover a Corvette or S10 drivetrain. None of these panned out. I think the closest I've heard of being even close to complete is the sideways z26, and that has been a long ongoing project.

1988 GTU
1990 GTZ
Beretta Preservation Society Chairman

"Have you painted your car in a parking lot today?"
jjanke

Post by jjanke »

If all goes well the plan will be to use the camaro z28 "parts car"......hahahaha....... which i recently bought.......for all the under body and structure.......the floor, firewall inner fenders......basically all unibody will be preserved from the camaro in an effort to not have to modify or jepordize the structure or "frame" of the car. The engine and suspension and rear end and all underpinnings from the camaro will hopefully stay as one and with some narrowing........be able to have the beretta body dropped onto it. This will leave me with only the exterioir appearance of a beretta while the interior will probably be more stripped down, cage and seats with some kind of custom dash cover.....My beretta is way past the point of having a "preserved" or stock look anayway.......might as well go all out and make this car into what it was really ment to be. Now that I have the two cars......I just need some garage space in order to make them one.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I really like the concept art you have, the way you want to put these two Chevys together sounds interesting, maybe even unique. RWD Berettas have been built in almost every way they can be; RWD sub-frames grafted in, unibody strengthened and modified, S-10 frame with a body dropped on, shelled-out Beretta on a tube-frame (as Travelor mentioned -and no, those aren't Berettas anymore, I agree). Does anyone remember what happened to that blue show-car RWD Beretta with the Grand National turbo 3.8 that was for sale a few years ago? Did that stay in the community? Good luck with this, I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
jjanke

Post by jjanke »

thanks rettax :D and glad you like the art work !!!!! I will defiantly be posting updates as this project gets underway.

bagged_and_loud

Post by bagged_and_loud »

Any updates on this build? If youre going all out, why not awd?

jjanke

Post by jjanke »

no major updates yet ....just bought a house (which is a project in itself) and getting the garage set and wired for 220. deconstruction will begin on the camaro soon. I will be posting pics as soon as i can.

thanks

jjanke

Post by jjanke »

and its gonna be RWD just cause thats what the donor car is 96 Camaro Z28 with a built LT1

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Well good luck with this project. Seems we both are after the same dream.

Mine will be done in the early spring. and it's about $35K done right.

LS-3/4L75e, Moser 12 bolt on an unequal length 4-link.

http://smithperformance.com

Good luck!!

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
jjanke

Post by jjanke »

@ asylum ....thats awesome!!!!!! i was just reading through ur post a lil earlier sounds like its gonna be epic!!!!!!! i really wanted LS but the LT kinda fell in my lap.......and not to mention was pretty affordable....... It will be really interesting to see these two RWD Berettas together......that is if i can monster garage mine together......i can imagine it will be two different ends of the spectrum and both well worth it....Best of luck to you on your project and try to document the transformation as much as possible.

jjanke

Post by jjanke »

small update.....the 220 is installed in the garage/work shop and welder and air compressor are finally in working order....... Just another piece to the puzzle.. I have also been removing some parts from the Donor z28....and refining the plan in my head.....This thread is not dead yet hahahahhaaa.......hope to be posting some real progress soon.
Attachments
plug.jpg