3400 install. My Z26 is slightly less crappy!

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
Godlike

3400 install. My Z26 is slightly less crappy!

Post by Godlike »

I blew a head gasket in my 3100 at 176000 so rathar than scrap the car (I should have scrapped the car) I decided to pick up a 3400!
I sholdn't have done this because the paint is gone, the car has cancer poking out here and there and the rockers are compeleatly gone. The side skirts are probably holding the car together.
The car was pretty damn relyable up till about 3 years ago. Since then ive replaced alot of crap including brake lines, calipers and rear slaves, ps rack, master cyl, trans, and then the motor. I wanted to keep it going because I just like driving it and of course everything broke one at a time.

Heres the new settup 04 Alero engine with 76k on it.
Last edited by Godlike on Wed May 29, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godlike

Re: 3400 install. My Z26 is slightly less crappy!

Post by Godlike »

MT engine bay
ImageMilled a EGR adapter at work
ImageImage
Last edited by Godlike on Wed May 29, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Godlike

Post by Godlike »

-swapped oil filter adapter
-swapped chain case housing
-new knock sensor, t-stat, plugs, wires, water pump, coolant bleeder screw, felpro gaskets
-tapped t-stat housing for burrito heater core tube
-new 3 wire cts
-Ford orange tops
-swapped 3100 throttle body shaft and arm (whatever its called) into 3400 TB
-installed block heater (wisconsin)
-Dexcool conversion
-tweaked trans dip stick to clear 3400 manifold
Junk yard
Pulled a flange and down pipe off a grand am
Power steering heat wrap
extra random heat wrap for near by hoses and wires
Blazer 3 wire CTS plug
z26 fuel lines (one of mine leaked at the crimp durring startup)
Waited 2 months for cack to not send me injectors so I got board and fixed a dent form a deer hit on my fender. And the same a-hole deer knocked the projector lens loose in my left head light so i fixed that.

ImageImageThats right. I painted it right in the shop! screw it

Also my horns were rusting out so I found some off a 05' impala at the yard. Found some horn leads that plug straight into the Beretta harness too but cant remember what they came off of. Then finally I gave up and bought a set of fox body injectors for $50
Last edited by Godlike on Wed May 29, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

car is looking awesome glad you're saving from scrap n enjoying it lil more

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Sweetness.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Godlike

Post by Godlike »

Thanks.
Don't really have any good pics of this car handy right now
Now Ill have to do something to the rockers to make the car safe. This car will hopefully be taking me to bfest. It needs front brakes too.

Berettas#1

Post by Berettas#1 »

Nice garage!

1995 Z26 auto 3100 spfi (sold)
1989 GT 5 speed 2.8 mpfi (crushed)
1993 GT 5 speed 3.1 mpfi (dd)
1988 GTU 5 speed 3500
1996 Base/Z26 hybrid 3400-3500 turbo 5 speed

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

whats up the black car under the z i don't think we ever seen that car

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

Glad to see the 2.4TC base still around!

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
themixer

Post by themixer »

twin cam base is kinda a neat swap

SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

The guy that had the 2.4 base before had a mint Cayenne Z26. Dang if I wasn't where I'm at now financially I could have bought it when he sold it lol

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

-Shawn
Been on the Beretta Forums since '04
94 Black Quad 5 spd Z26 ->3500 6 spd ZR6

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
Godlike

Post by Godlike »

Ya that pic is a few years old. The Twin cam is mine now but had a rough life when it was my sisters. Its been in 2 front hits. The first one was structural and we had to send it to the body shop to pull it straight again. And after I hung new parts on it she went through a fence so now it needs a hood, fender and a door. I got it after the brother in law broke a shift cable and drove around in 4th until the clutch was gone. So ya its a fixer upper now.

It is a neat car though. I like the mid range power band. It really pulls just leaning into it a little at 3k and its always quick to break traction on wet roads and in corners without trying.

bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

I forgot about those body painted aqua gtz wheels!

Shop is looking good.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
Godlike

Post by Godlike »

Thanks. Ive done a lot of projects in that shop already. I need a much bigger one though. The lift is probably the best $1800 ive ever spent but 2 lifts would really be great. And I badly need to have a spray booth.

Anyways I meant to describe the last week of the 3400 project...
Once I got my injectors I cleaned them up Ohm'ed em out installed new o rings and popped them in the rails. Everything looked good so I installed the assembly and hooked up the lines.
I primed the system to look for leaks and found one right away at the origional feed line under the crimp. :shock: Luckily I found a nice set of lines on a car at the yard the next day. So once I got that on I tested the system again and had a leak where the return comes out of the rail. No bid deal. Replaced that o ring again and everything looked good.
So finally I bolted up the Im, TB, Coil packs all that crap and fired it up with no intake or IAT sensor. It ran but "idled" at 2500 and all the gauges were whacking out. So I put the intake on and started it back up and pulled out of the shop. It ran like crap! I had to give it gas to start it and every so often i had to blip the throttle to keep it alive.
I spent a while burping out the cooling system with the engine running loud as hell as it had only a 3" long (not wide) down pipe off the flange at the time when suddenly I noticed my new dex cool running out from under the passenger side. Oh good the heater core line is cracked. :Yahoo!: So back in the shop we went. Lying upside down under the dash of a beretta with your back arched over the kick panel is always painful! It never gets less painful.
The next day I got it all back together and had it running again but it still didn't run right. But the gauges randomly started working properly one by one. And after chocking on exhaust for a while I gave up and towed the car to the muffler shop to quiet her down.
I got it back the following Friday and drove it to work running like crap hoping it was just bad gas or my ecu was a slow learner or something.
Saturday it got fresh gas and I bombed around a little but it never got better. Also with a full tank of gas it started leaking fuel from a hole that is evidently on the top of the tank. Good! Now I have to put a gas tank in this crapsandwich. :o It would still die alot and was way over sensitive to throttle angle. It ran smooth for the most part and idle and WOT and not anywhere in between.
So I just started swapping parts. First the TPS then the IACV then I cleaned the old IACV then I messed with the 3 wire CTS because my fan had yet to come on...
Finally I noticed my 3100s MAP sensor in my spare parts box and went to swap that out. Thats when I noticed that my old plug off the harness was kind of crumbling apart and the locking clip had broken off. Plugged it back in and wire tied it on for the time being and it fired right up and ran perfect. I did a quick break torque in the driveway and lit the tires up for good measure. Ya the extra power is definitely noticeable.
I ordered a MAP plug from rock auto. It came in today. Wondering if I can unlock the pins and just swap the plug? I don't like splicing.
Now I have 2 issues left. I didn't realize my 04' motors oil pan doesn't have a oil level sensor. So next oil change Ill have to deal with that.
And Ill probably make another post but my cooling fan still hasn't come on! I jumped it to a "hot in run" spare terminal on the fuse block for now but ive tried letting the temp get up to 3/4 and it never came on. After searching this forum I unplugged my CTS to lie to the ecu and the fan comes right on so my circuit is good its just not calling for it. Wondering if my two temp. wires to the ecu could be crossed but I can't imagine that would matter.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I had crap luck with two brand new 3-wire CTS when I did my first swap. Said piss on it and went back to two sensors (original 2-wire in manifold and original 1-wire in the block drain plug rather than the head) and it was great.

I fixed the oil level sensor the redneck way. I zip-tied it in the full position and tucked it away.

On my second 3400 swap the heater core went about a day after the swap was done. Maybe it's a curse?

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube