Help me assemble these struts!

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
DanteGTZ

Help me assemble these struts!

Post by DanteGTZ »

As part of my Eibach install, I am replacing ALL of my strut components... and I mean EVERYTHING (bearings, bump stops, bellows, spring insulators, etc).

I have looked at the GM diagrams, but I'm not 100% comfortable with the way everything has come together. Starting with the spring position/lower insulator - Is there a specific orientation this needs sit in on the spring perch on the strut? Comparing the new one to the old one, it doesn't seem to sit any particular way (there is no stop like on other struts I've worked with). Next item of confusion for me is the bump stops - I bought new ones but am not sure where/how they mount. I've seen some videos (other GM cars) where the bump stop fits into the upper strut bearing assembly. I have bought two sets of bump stops/bellows (DuraLast and Gabriel brands - both are slightly different) but neither fits INTO the upper strut bearing assembly - They basically bottom out on the metal of the bearing assembly itself, but don't fit inside it. I know that probably isn't described the best, but if you've seen these assemblies before, you probably have a good idea of what I mean.

Anyhoo - I've assembled the new struts the way I *think* they need to be put together but when comparing the factory strut set to my new Eibach one, they seem like their ALMOST the same overall height (not on the car yet, just comparing the two side by side).

Can anyone help here? I'm at a loss and am getting entirely too frustrated over a pair of struts.

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
Chad91GTZ

Re: Help me assemble these struts!

Post by Chad91GTZ »

The replacement bellows you got are probably wrong. I got some from Rock Auto and they were wrong and I put the old ones back on because I had no other choice.

There should be a lip on the bottom spring perches of the strut to start everything off from. It's just a small bump.

Don't pay much attention to uncompressed height.

My Motortopia

Bfest Committee 2012, 2013, 2014
Bfest AND Bust 2012 Winner: First ever clutch swap at Berettafest!
Bfest 2013 Watermelon Award: Boob shaped hood dents FTW
ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

I can't believe you still can buy everything new. I had to scavenge parts from used strut assemblies to get some of my cars done.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

Erich, everything is still available new, but aftermarket, not GM. Moog still has the upper and lower spring insulators - Monroe still has the upper strut bearing assemblies. The bellows are available from multiple places.

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

95+ but same general idea.

http://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4239

I've never actually taken apart and done 94 and older setups sorry.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

The upper seat should have a slight bump that the spring will use as a stopper guide. The lower part of the spring rest on a rubber pad that all fits in a groove stamped into the strut body plate. The Bump stop sits at the top of the polished shaft tapper end down and the dust boot snugly fits on the bump stop covering the shaft 100% and should cover some of the strut body but not touch the base (strut body plate) . The bearing plate spins freely and only goes in one way unless you start using drills and a BFH lol.

If you have the Endlink brackets, those only go on one way and are side specific.

Now get to struttin your new struts!

_________
-------------