Should I fix or sell?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
96B-Mike

Should I fix or sell?

Post by 96B-Mike »

Okay so yesterday my car over heated.. But it just didn't over heat it blew a head gasket.. I got a quote for $900 to fix... A little over a year ago i brought a brand new (refurbished motor)(a '96 lumina apv) from advance auto parts.. It has roughly 17k miles on it (i have exact milage written down where i log everything i replaced)
So i had this car for about 3-4years..originally a base, did z26 body kit conversion and a paint job.
I spent about $6000 for my car up to date.
I make about $330 a week n i currently have a loan n two maxed out credit cards lol.. I do not have the tools to fix it myself... Im just speechless on exactly what to do.. I might sell which i believe i can get $1500-2000? Maybe no?
My car is actually #8 on the calendar voting thread..
Suggestions?

96B-Mike

Re: Should I fix or sell?

Post by 96B-Mike »

Also brand new A/C $500 a month ago lol

ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

engine warranty?

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

You wont get 1500-2000 with a blown head gasket that's for sure. Critics on here wouldn't even give you that if it were in perfect running condition.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

If you're gonna sell use Craigslist or similar or even the local classified section of your news paper. With a blown headgasket $800-$1500 (if in nice condition with the rims pictured and whatnot) would be more likely. Definantly won't get that here as 3x00 said. To me the only perk of selling here is that you can be assured its most likely in good hands and you can possibly follow it's progress. but you'll get less money in the process.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

ErichZ26 wrote:engine warranty?
No joke. It had to have something and it should be more than 17k. Have them replace the whole thing.

keep'em flying!
96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

I got a 3yr 36k miles. But it overheated.. Its nothing internal?

96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

Well i only said that price only because its a 3400 (already swapped) with that many milage with the body condition.. But i guess im talking way out of my range haha

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Ok First things first! Fix the car!
Now. Why did it overheat? The headgasket or something else?
You can't get another car for $900 and to be honest that is NOT an unreasonable price.

But we are back to WHY DID IT OVERHEAT?

More info needed Bud!!

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
Money pit Beretta

96B-Mike wrote:I got a 3yr 36k miles. But it overheated.. Its nothing internal?
What about a wrong torque sequence? Or wrong torque in the first place? A head that is not flat(or the block)? That would be "their" fault and they should replace the engine. You need to start contacting people(those that sold or made the engine,really both). If you can have the guy at the shop contact them. That way they know that a pro did it and you didn't pull it apart just to look around. If you have a recept for the engine and the work make copies. Never send the real thing in to them. The can "lose them" so they don't have to replace the engine.

keep'em flying!
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Asylum wrote:Ok First things first! Fix the car!
Now. Why did it overheat? The headgasket or something else?
You can't get another car for $900 and to be honest that is NOT an unreasonable price.

But we are back to WHY DID IT OVERHEAT?

More info needed Bud!!
X2 on this! Save that car. You have way more into it than you will ever see back out of it, so unless the thing is nickel-and-diming you to death, fix it and love it. $900 for a head gasket seems a little steep to me, but then most garage rates always did to me. I know doing the work yourself can seem overwhelming, but the only real 'specialty' tool you need to fix a head gasket is a torque-wrench; about $15 for a Harbor-Freight cheapie that will get the job done. $10-20 for the head gasket, those head bolts are NOT torque-to-yield (aka 'stretch' bolts), so you don't need to replace them, especially on a budget. Do the LIMG with steel, if not already done (we talked about this before, didn't we? I remember you were looking at doing something with the LIM, because you had a 3100 'M' intake on it or something?).

Even IF they honor the engine's warranty, it will cost a grand, or more, to have it swapped (guessing on the price, from $900 to fix the head). Buy a Haynes or a Chilton's manual (they are lousy on ebay or Amazon for <$10 most of the time), spend a weekend and get to know your car. Also buy a decent straight-edge ruler, and follow the procedure in the book on checking the head for warpage -the 60-degree engines don't warp heads typically, so there is a good chance you are still good there, although my '95 Z-26 had been overheated so badly before I bought it that the valve-guides had come loose %) , so I needed new heads and a new piston.

A head gasket swap isn't that bad, so long as you take your time and have the tools and info you need. Now figure out how much you will be 'paying' yourself to do this job, and remember that you do have support from the community here if you run into a snag. Either way, good luck.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

my intake manifold gasket was leaking (not too bad), which i wasnt stressing it too much cause i was gonna swap out it anyways to put in the metal gaskets i brought along with putting in the 3400 manifolds in...apparently i wait too long and it got too hot and yeah...you know

96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

and i agree with Rettax3...its kinda pointless for the warranty part unless obviously the motor blows lol. and honestly its going to be really hard for me to do the labor myself since i go to school full time also work full time..i made a deal with him
I would pay for the parts (head gaskets kit) n (sending the heads to the shop)..then make payments for the labor

know anyone that sellling any aftermarket heads!? for $200!? :)

Money pit Beretta

I'd still try the warranty, then move on from there.

keep'em flying!
96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

Money pit Beretta wrote:I'd still try the warranty, then move on from there.
yeah i hear ya..it was my fault really, i shouldve changed out the manifold gasket before it got too bad