17K mile GTZ

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
NJ93TY

17K mile GTZ

Post by NJ93TY »

As some of you may already know I recently purchased a super low mileage 90 GTZ. Here is the story behind it. It was on Long Island craigslist. Listed with 17K original miles but needs work. Ok no problem. I called that Monday but got no answer. Kept calling every hour or so but still nothing. Tuesday rolls around and I start calling again. No answer all day, so I'm listening to his voicemail and turns out he own a business in Long Island. I google his business and a work number comes up. Call that, no answer on that number either. So now I call my uncle and ask him to go the business address and see if there is someone there. He does and there is no one there. Now I'm frustrated because I want this car, have cash ready and this guy does not answer his phone. Finally around 4pm the guys calls me back. I tell him I want the car, and want to drive out there that night after work to leave him a deposit. He agrees.
As were talking he tells me he is in Glen cove. I said I know that. Then he says I'm on East Ave. I said holy crap, I have seen that car before. Turns out when I was out there for Christmas visiting family I happened to drive by a GTZ thinking to myself ( I want to get a picture of that when I come back through) It looked decent. But when I came back from where I was it was gone. Damn! Well it was the same car and his son was driving it at the time and was there visiting for Christmas also. He started laughing. So I drive out there that night, leave him a deposit and come back that following Sunday to get the title and pay the balance. The car sat at my Aunts house for a few weeks until I titled it and got it registered. Now its finally home and I thought I would share a few pics.
Yes it was in rough shape but the mileage is accurate, I ran a carfax. Came back clean. Turns out the original owner was an elderly guy who barely drove this car. Unfortunately he hit the garage several times tearing the mirrors off the car more then once. Below is the carfax report to show you how low the mileage was. On 9/01/2011 this only had 8064 miles on it! So for whatever reason this guy finally sells the car to the second owner ( A Plumber) From what I remember that guy let one of his kids drive the car for a while. They didn't like it then let it sit for several months. Third owner buys it for his kid (the guy I buy it from) He puts a new headliner, brakes, tires, battery and alternator in it. After a few months of driving his kid gets hit slightly in the left front. Damage not bad but the guy collects about $3500 from insurance, decided he is done with the car and just wants the money back that he put into it so sells it for $1500, to me.
Now unfortunately the car does need some work. One door panel is ripped, other door panel is falling off, dash is warped, carpet is dirty, just total disrespect for the car. The kids who were driving it obviously didn't give a &%#&% about the car. Under the hood almost everything is original except for battery and alternator. The air filter is original as it the belts and hoses. But regardless of all that it is very clean under the hood and no matter how hard I tried I can NOT find any rust on this car. Underside is clean, bottom of doors, rocker panels, rear suspension. No oil leaks anywhere. Its the interior and exterior that need attention.

My plans with the car are slowly restore it. Replace the carpet, new floor mats, remove door panels and have them fixed along with the dash. I found a local guy that does interior's and he says he can take care of all these things. Change all the fluids, belts and filters. I have new front end lights and a fender. Bumper has some rips but is repairable. Would love to paint the whole car but for now I will probably just do the front end for now. I don't plan to DD this and will keep the mileage low. One day I hope to make it out to a Beretta-Fest with it.

09/16/1990 4 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Bayville, NY Title issued or updated
First owner reported
09/08/1998 2,337 New York
New York City Area
Inspection Station Passed safety inspection
Passed emissions inspection

View what was inspected
09/14/1999 2,535 New York
New York City Area

State safety inspection completed
09/20/2000 2,734 New York
New York City Area

View what was inspected
09/27/2001 2,872 Robert Chevrolet
Hicksville, NY
516-931-1145
robertchevrolet.com State safety inspection completed
Oil and filter changed
09/27/2001 New York
New York City Area

View what was inspected
10/09/2002 3,686 New York
New York City Area

View what was inspected
02/20/2003 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Bayville, NY Title issued or updated
04/14/2004 4,456 New York

View what was inspected
12/19/2005 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Locust Valley, NY Title issued or updated
New owner reported
12/21/2005 4,487 New York

View what was inspected
01/17/2006 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
12/07/2006 6,178 New York

View what was inspected
08/10/2009 7,774 New York
Failed emissions inspection

View what was inspected
08/10/2009 7,776 New York

View what was inspected
08/11/2009 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
09/01/2011 8,064 New York
Emissions inspection performed
View what was inspected
09/22/2011 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Glen Cove, NY Title issued or updated
Registration issued or renewed
Registered as
personal vehicle
Passed safety inspection
08/16/2012 14,707 New York
Emissions inspection performed
View what was inspected

themixer

Re: 17K mile GTZ

Post by themixer »

such a good starting point g/l with the project

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Very clean. Reminds me of my first car.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Damn that is one nasty dent. So the headlights are new?

keep'em flying!
themixer

Post by themixer »

is that a GTU spoiler?

NJ93TY

Post by NJ93TY »

I have not changed the headlamps yet but I have a set of nos ones ordered. I also have a new header panel, fog lamps, marker lamps and clear side markers. The spoiler is not a GTU spoiler. I wasn't going to let a neglected low mileage go into the wrong hands.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I think that kind of damage would smash the drivers headlight or the mount. They look brand new to me, but with miles that low they should. Just thinking that they had already been replaced.

keep'em flying!
1990BerettaGTZ2.3L

Post by 1990BerettaGTZ2.3L »

Wanna trade haha that's my favorite color of GTZ I thought about painting my black one kandy brandy wine same as maroon candy or garnet candy my buddy has a 69 chevelle that was painted 30 years ago kandy brandy wine using gold as a base, most beautiful color and chevelle I've ever seen

1990 Beretta GTZ Quad,226 cams, 3.94 W-41 trans
1990 Beretta GTZ Quad 4, 3.61 muncie 5 speed (project)
1968 Chevelle 300 deluxe 327ci 4 speed M-21, 12 bolt 4.10 posi
1978 Chevy K10 Z77 Sport 4x4
1977 GMC Sierra Classic 25 454 crew cab
-Ryan
Robert 89gt

Post by Robert 89gt »

I can't wait to see it.We need to have a photo shoot:)Maybe if woody finishes his soon we can all meet? Like a bfest Northeast;)

_M9|GTZ

Post by _M9|GTZ »

very niice find ! Should clean up very well and the biggest headache looks to be the doors. All the best !

snowblindburd
Administrator

Post by snowblindburd »

Wow, I wish I could find a deal like that!

weba

Post by weba »

Thanks for saving that car, I hope you restore it to the glory it deserves!

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

Hows the car.coming along??

themixer

Post by themixer »

i would also like to know

NJ93TY

Post by NJ93TY »

I did all of the maintance items last year, fluids, plugs, belts, replaced sending unit because fuel gauge was inop. Interior is all out, I am in the process of repairing the door panel map pockets, new carpet is ordered, and new shift cables. Once it warms up a little in April I will begin the body work. I have a new fender, headlamps, fog lights and marker lens's. Front bumper has some damage so that will also be repaired. I do plan on having the whole vehicle painted and would like to try to have that done this summer. When I get the car back at my work I will get some pictures and update this post a little more.
Vehicle sits in storage now and I think I put about 100 miles on it since I picked it up last January.