Tylers (aka Slinkys) Build

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

And so it begins...

Drove out to Allentown PA to meet Tyler and pickup basically his whole drive line so I can drop it at the machine shop and start building it soon so when the weather breaks and is a bit nicer to allow me to have space in my garage he will drop off the completed shell that he is still chugging on and I'll mate the two together and hopefully get a decent tune on it. I foresee this tune taking a while since it's a one off setup and very unique to what a 97 ECU can interpret.

This was posted on Facebook just before I went to meet him by some other user... How appropriate.

Tyler's Geo all packed up.

The dis-assembly of the short block...

Pretty caked up with oil residue... Not sure if I should trust the 60k note he was told on the mileage... I think it had more than that.

Old Pistons

You can see the new forged ones with SCAT rods in the bottom left of the photo and in the bottom of the first dis-assembly photo.

Hope to drop off block on Monday since the shop isn't open on the weekends... Main journals are a bit in question by me, may just need oversized bearings, as well as he had a bad lifter starting to take out the lobe on the cam... Good thing he decided to rebuild this winter.

I still haven't looked at the cam bearings... I'm curious to see if they look similar to every set I've pulled or if the stock GM ones held up better than the aftermarket 3400 replacement ones. Every set I had went to crap that's why I got the SBC aluminum ones for my car. Tyler got the teflon coated SBC ones.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
bonecrrusher

Re: Tylers (aka Slinkys) Build

Post by bonecrrusher »

Jon - do you know what causes the marks to occur on the cam?

Is that just what happens with the metal on metal contact?

I am wrapping up my engine build - and my stock LS2 cam looks like the one you posted - but I checked my lifters and they looked fine - and my car only has 42k miles on it.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

Woot, keep up the good work Jon!

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

Those lifters n can don't look good at all, was it making any noises or lose power?? Are you doing the upgrade on the lifters while you're at it?? And what are plans for pistons n rods?? Might as well go with arp stuff since its this far apart n cometic gaskets??

Guess Chris Everett wont have respect for.tyler either since he not buildin his own motor lol. Looks good can't wait to see what u have planned.for.the way the car looks also as the build is crazy. Wish I didnt have a 3yr old soaking up my money for.daycare which is 800 a month which would make for nice build for me

Slinky

Post by Slinky »

Engine did make some ticking/slapping noises before i tore it out but made a good bit of power @7psi :D

Im doing plenty of work on my end LOL
But i will admit, I do not have the tools, a clean enough space or anywhere near as much knowledge as Jon and
i did not feel comfortable enough with the knowledge i do have to do the engine/trans build, which is why he is doing it, not to mention the fact that the machine shops around here are few and far between.

There is alot of arp stuff going in, gm graphite head gaskets, Jon had issues with MLS in the past and also people around where I live had also had problems with them, pistons and rods are forged as he said with napier rings, and yes brand new AC Delco lifters with the LS spring mod for my cam :Yahoo!:

Jon will explain it all
Last edited by Slinky on Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Craig the marks on yours are the Ok marks produced by rollers, look closer to left upright lobe there is a groove worn onto it from the bad roller pictured on the right.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

I fully understand Tyler and you have done quite a bit of work yourself I was being smartass just in case he reads this. I may look to Jon this coming winter myself after I finish the paint/interior/suspension before bfest. Except I wanna do high cr build with 3400 lower end with 3.4 pistons and 3500 ported top end and 70mm tb and I have a set of togs and s&s headers now to see what may be better. Its awesome that most of the fast beretta are here in the ne region too, must be something in the air. Lol

bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

Jon - makes sense.

How do you like that parts washer?

Not sure if thats the one from HF - but looks like it.

Cleaning up oily parts with brake cleaner gets old quickly....

Nice plans for the build up so far.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
Z26_T

Post by Z26_T »

Are those custom spec pistons or were you able to order the forged ones off a shelf somewhere?

heavywoody wrote:Beretta, fast, reliable, and cost effective are words that should not be used in the same sentence.
95' BRM Z26. cammed/ported 3400/3500 Hybrid. HM282, OBD2, Garret T3/T04E 60 Trim, IC.
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

Are diamond forged from wot-tech with the coating on the top, I bought them with the forged rods and gapless rings assembled for $750 shipped from someone who built an engine and then had an incident with their car and so they parted out the engine, engine was never started their brand new

zcylex

Post by zcylex »

Im watching this, im taking my 2.8 out tomorrow gotta change pretty much every gasket and lifter in it LOL pics soon on my thread :) (i just an axle away from taking it out lol)

Cool build btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1988 Beretta GT 2.8L V6 - Yeah my Retta is a year older than me! :)
Work in Progress
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

Thought i would join in on this thread pic wise and show my end of the build as Jon shows the engine portion.

The old setup before removal

Than the removal

Rust free shell from Chad

Stripped the interior

New interior went in aside from door panels

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

bonecrrusher wrote:Jon - makes sense.

How do you like that parts washer?

Not sure if thats the one from HF - but looks like it.

Cleaning up oily parts with brake cleaner gets old quickly....

Nice plans for the build up so far.
I don't know if its a HF one but I got it years ago from my ex's mom's BF at the time... He had it taking up space in his garage so I took it.

The only thing I would like to add to it is a more powerfully pump that runs through a good filter. Right now it's just the standard pump with the positioning arm and of course those are only filtered through a rough net which really isn't that much. Gotta drain the fluid often and run it through a paint filter and such to get the large crap out of there.
Z26_T wrote:Are those custom spec pistons or were you able to order the forged ones off a shelf somewhere?
There is no such thing as forged pistons for our engines sitting on a shelf... We are lucky that Diamond and a few others will even make pistons for our setup... Forget stocking something though, it's all custom order.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Gave all the parts and a list to my Father In-Law, he's dropping it all off either today or tomorrow at the machine shop so hopefully I'll have some clean parts to start some stuff on mid next week. For now I'm heading up to VT till Friday. Time for a Vacation.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
speedy

Post by speedy »

you came to allentown? WHEN???? you were littlerally right next to me, i work in allentown, i live 20 miles from allentown! tyler lives in allentown????? since when? damnit!

1991 beretta GTZ- 2.3l w41 cams, ported 086 head with a 3 angle valve job, fidanza flywheel with exedy racing clutch, 3.94fdr from and scx, so much more..