Finally - A BERETTA OWNER ONCE MORE! :)

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
DanteGTZ

Re: Finally - A BERETTA OWNER ONCE MORE! :)

Post by DanteGTZ »

Well, she's running but I may have to pull the engine out... She's got a bad oil leak right where the cam towers meet the timing cover. No, it doesn't REQUIRE pulling it, but I think it may be a hell of a lot easier than trying to wrestle everything aside in the car.

Oh, and my supposed HO injectors were just 19# weenies. Gotta find some correct injectors.

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
GTZryda

Post by GTZryda »

DanteGTZ wrote:Well, she's running but I may have to pull the engine out... She's got a bad oil leak right where the cam towers meet the timing cover. No, it doesn't REQUIRE pulling it, but I think it may be a hell of a lot easier than trying to wrestle everything aside in the car.

Oh, and my supposed HO injectors were just 19# weenies. Gotta find some correct injectors.

Did you put those gaskets on backwards? I did and it leaked bad in the same spot. It'll take about three hours or so to fix it. I reused the old gaskets and used permitex black gasket maker, its your friend

90 GTZ W41
96 Z26
96 Twin cam
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

The joys of pulling crap back apart...

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

Well, I figured since it's been almost a year, I'd post an updates (if you hadn't seen it already on Facebook).

Well, I managed to find all of the missing parts that were SUPPOSED to be sold with the car but were clearly for an earlier year Quad4. This included finding the correct intake manifold, TB, fuel rail, injectors, injector harness, misc brackets, etc. As mentioned in previous posts, I had a few problems with the motor. When I first started the motor, it had no oil pressure - I apparently forgot a large bolt that was supposed to go back as the oil gallery cleanout plug. With this missing, it had no oil pressure. Even after replacing the bolt, ultimately, the damage to the bottom end bearings was already done. even though the bearing life was shortened some from the initial lack of oil, the engine still ran, so I was initially planning on running it long term while I could formulate a better plan.

Going forward, I bought another long block (with 086 head and W41 cams) from another member here but it turned out to need a lot of machine work as well. I kept looking and stumbled upon a brand new crate engine in California. I was able to buy the engine and have it shipped to TN. Since it had a much more restrictive head (#303), I decided I would put the 086 head and W41 cams in it. The crate motor was sold as an LO Quad4, but after tearing into it, it actually turned out to be an HO. I had the 086 head pressure tested and completely rebuilt. I did have to helicoil a couple locations on the head where the cam towers attach, but they worked fine. I also installed head studs in this engine as well.

After bolting the engine/trans into the car, progress had stalled for the past few months. I finally got back to it a couple weekends ago and got everything back together and was able to fire it up. This go around, I decided to make sure the oiling system was 100% good. I pulled the plugs, ignition coil plug and the injector harness plug. I cranked the motor for about 30-60 seconds to ensure that the engine was building oil pressure. The engine showed 60-70# of oil pressure, so everything checked out.

Aside from a little bit of lifter noise (think I had a stuck lifter), everything ran fine and eventually quieted down. I am still in the break-in process so I am trying to take it easy and keep the RPMs variable up to about 4000 rpm. I've still got to figure out why my cooling fan won't come on, but other than that, the engine is doing fine... *fingers crossed*

Here is a video of the engine running:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cwDBTyncbo

It still needs a few things before Bfest2014 but it is soooooooooo nice to be back driving a Beretta again. This thing feels so much like my old GTZ that I don't feel like I was ever without it!
Attachments
2014-05-11 19.42.49_resize.jpg
2014-05-11 19.43.53_resize.jpg
2014-05-11 19.54.41_resize.jpg
2014-05-11 19.55.30_resize.jpg
2014-05-11 19.55.59_resize.jpg

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Thank you for the update. Man, a easy project that just went wrong. Sounds like what happens when I try to do something. So far I have yet to forget a bolt, but I don't go that deep into the engine.

keep'em flying!
weba

Post by weba »

DanteGTZ wrote: Aside from a little bit of lifter noise (think I had a stuck lifter), everything ran fine and eventually quieted down
I've always had the same thing, so much lifter noise when you cold start it, that makes me think something has failed, but once it heats up, all fine.. Also a good reminded, not to beat it until it's at operating temperature. :)

The car looks great!

DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

Thanks for the compliments. I've only been able to put about 100 miles on the car so far. I replaced the turn signal switch last night so I'm eager to put some more miles on and not have to worry about no brake lights or turn signals!

I've got to really hustle with the mileage so that I make sure I'm ready for Bfest!