My 96' Z26 *Updated WITH PIX*

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Squeeze

Re: My 96' Z26 *Updated WITH PIX*

Post by Squeeze »

Money pit Beretta wrote:Oh, thought there was a bit more than that. I agree that there is no need to go crazy for a DD car.

So you are saying that the car is pulling to one side?
Well it pulls to whatever side I've made a turn in.
Like if I make a left turn then straighten the wheels straight, it will start veering to the left. And same if I make a right turn. If they are slight turns it won't do it, it will actually stay straight.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I'd start with the suspension components that 1988GTU posted but also have you simply checked the toe? For best results you should have a 1/16-1/8 toe in so it will pull the wheel back straight and track straight, anything Zero will dart around and toe out will feel really funny.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Squeeze

Post by Squeeze »

3X00-Modified wrote:I'd start with the suspension components that 1988GTU posted but also have you simply checked the toe? For best results you should have a 1/16-1/8 toe in so it will pull the wheel back straight and track straight, anything Zero will dart around and toe out will feel really funny.
Thanks, yeah I'll be sure to start in that direction for sure. And I haven't been able to really check anything as of yet but I'll keep that measurement in mind when I get to checking on it, probably be next weekend or so, but I'm def going to fix it one way or another.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Squeeze wrote:
1988GTU wrote:Lca bushing fatigued or strut mount bearing being stubborn.
Thanks! I haven't been able to crawl back under the car yet, but that helps narrow things down to check and point me In the right direction. Take it that's common for these cars?
Usually common with what you're describing for symptoms.

_________
-------------
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

3X00-Modified wrote:Toe out will feel really funny.
It's not that bad, just realize the car will track any of the road imperfections. My GT has a little toe out and negative camber.

Cliff Scott
Squeeze

Post by Squeeze »

Welll, just a little bit of an update. The motor has been running pretty good and strong past few weeks. Only now the age of the car is starting to show after not being driven for a good number of years lol. Ive begun hearing and feeling a ticking ish sound when the car is in motion. I either am guessing CV axle or Wheel bearing OR both! lol Only because it starts to vibrate more and more and when i let off it shakes worse and when i get on it not as bad but still vibrates. I also noticed my outer tie rod bushings are pretty much worn out lol so need a new pair of those. So yeah, the list keeps growing but i expected repairs down the road just not so freakin soon lol.
ANYWAYS! more pix i took. My actual camera's batteries died, so i had to use my cell phone again. Enjoy!

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Does the solid grille need to be adjusted?
Damn man, charge up that camera!

keep'em flying!
Squeeze

Post by Squeeze »

Money pit Beretta wrote:Does the solid grille need to be adjusted?
Damn man, charge up that camera!
yeah i was noticing that gap after the pics, so ill have to fiddle with it.
and turns out my problem with the vibration was one of my wheels was about to come off. apparently 4/5 lug nuts were backing off, so the vibration was caused by that , thank God it didnt come off on the high way! lol

Money pit Beretta

Oh wow that is bad. Just check them for two weeks after they have been off the car. It's 100ft/lbs, no more and no less. If you don't have a torque wrench Christmas is coming soon!

keep'em flying!
red91gtz

Post by red91gtz »

Wow. Clean and very beautiful car!! So was the new engine swap plug and play? What did you have to do?

92 GTZ 3.1/auto, no real mods other then a strut bar, I fight hard enough to get it road worthy!
Squeeze

Post by Squeeze »

red91gtz wrote:Wow. Clean and very beautiful car!! So was the new engine swap plug and play? What did you have to do?
Sorry im just now seeing your comment lol
It wasnt completley plug in play, but for the most part it was. The things that we had to do to get it to fit and work, was swapping out the Malibu injectors for the original beretta ones, the upper intake was slightly bigger than the original motor so we had to move some small brackets around, and some of the brackets on the pulley side and motor mounts swapped from the old motor. It really wasnt hard once the motor was pulled.
But its been running and driving fine, i think the only issue ive had is that the TPS sensor keeps messing up. First one was a cheapo $6 one lol and the second one was an Oriellys house brand, which worked longer but last night i had to warranty out only after 2 or 3 weeks. So if it messes up again, im going to get the step up and so on until im back to the AC Delco one, and if that screws up then i know there is another issue causing them to mess up.

Squeeze

Post by Squeeze »

Here is a new updated pic: 1-28-15
I added LED head light bulbs, LED fog light bulbs(had to clean the rust off for them to work on the ground connection), and I made aluminum brackets for the bumper so it wouldnt sag anymore.

Money pit Beretta

I had a problem with the TPS. I buy the best stuff(house brand is junk). Turns out one of the wires connecters had come loose. Breaking contact every now and then. The 5v ref was ok and so was the ground, that left....well you can guess.
That bumper looks better!

keep'em flying!
CorvetteBeretta

Post by CorvetteBeretta »

man that thing is clean..

Squeeze

Post by Squeeze »

Money pit Beretta wrote:I had a problem with the TPS. I buy the best stuff(house brand is junk). Turns out one of the wires connecters had come loose. Breaking contact every now and then. The 5v ref was ok and so was the ground, that left....well you can guess.
That bumper looks better!
Thanks for the info! Yeah when it started happening again after i bought the house brand i was like "really car?!" lol I swear this car has not wanted to rejoin the streets since i first got her. Everything has been a task to do. I even bought a set of 4 tower LEDs for the tails and ended up breaking one because the factory bulb socket had too much plastic, so i had to grind 1/4 of plastic off so the LEDs would actually seat all the way in, but not before breaking one lol
But i Keep pushing, I Like this car too much to give up with the stubbornness lol, ive already dumped so much money in getting her back on the road its just to the point where im like, well guess well do it the hard way haha
and the bumper i just measured and cut strips of aluminum and bent them and riveted them to the bumper so you wouldnt see any screws. Im eventually going to paint them so they dont stand out so much and maybe play around with an old phantom billet grill and might cut and add some billet to the bottom grill just to see