still problems

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
JeffD

still problems

Post by JeffD »

hey guys, i still have some problems. the car still shakes when i step on the gas! i think its one of the motor mounts, but which one? help please!

1988 Beretta GT 5 speed - 1st car... Gone to the crusher. :(
1989 Beretta GT Z-51
1994 Beretta Z26 getting FE7+Z51 goodies
1987 Pontiac Bonneville LG3+4T65-E
1987 Chevrolet Celebrity Wagon L36+4T65-E
1998 Chevrolet C1500 5.7L L31+ built 4L60-E
docrodg

still problems

Post by docrodg »

Have someone shift the car in drive and reverse, step on the gas etc. with the front wheels up on jackstands.  Watch the engine and look at the mounts to find if they are bad.  Could also be a harmonc damper.

still problems

Post by Guest »

i've replaced the upper and lower right side mounts and reinforced them with poly but noticed that the tranny mount is still pretty bad, lots of back-forth movement right at that mount (its on the drivers side bolted to the side of the frame). I'm going to replace it soon, as well as the CVs (which are clicking) and pray that several years of driving the car with bad mounts hasn't ruined the balancer as well.

whitetalonb16g

still problems

Post by whitetalonb16g »

don't know if it will help or not, But I once had a 1990 Dodge Shadow that had a bad CV on the passenger side and it would click pretty bad around a turn and upon giving it a decent amount of gas it would vibrate like a mofo. After I fixed that axle vibrations/ clicking gone.

docrodg

still problems

Post by docrodg »

Definately replace that CV.  If left it could fail entirely and cause a bad accident.  I take a scrap piece of metal and bend it to fit over the boots when working on the font end so I don't mess up a good boot.  Even cardboard could help there as the split replacement boots are almost all worthless and the solid boots are a real pain to replace.  While at it check the lower ball joint for wear, it really sucks when the wheel tries to come off at speed.

The damper should not be affected by the mounts.  But age can deteriorate it and cause it to fail, give it a good eye when you do the axles.

still problems

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the advice, within the next few weeks: both driveshafts, new control arm assemblies with ball joints and bushings which i bought several months ago, a new tranny mount with poly reinforcement, poly tie rod boots, and a front end alignment. Also, the exhaust needs to be tweaked as the intermediate pipe is bumping against the frame after the cat right before it goes over the rear axle. I'll need to realign the whole system from the front pipe connection and tweak that hanger on the rear pipe before the muffler, and the muffler sounds loose and poppy inside as well, probably replace it as well.
For scberetta3800, take docrodg's advice and check out those mounts, do it now before they destroy your whole driveline like they did mine.