'90 GTZ W41 (bought back afters years i sold it) from AUSTRIA, EUROPE

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
michi

'90 GTZ W41 (bought back afters years i sold it) from AUSTRIA, EUROPE

Post by michi »

Hey guys, i guess some of you already seen my post in the Facebook group but ofcourse i wanted to post it on the forums also.
After 5 years i bought my first car i have ever owned back. Its a black 1990 GTZ with the Quad4 and W41 cams which got swapped in 2008 or 2009.
I bought the car RIGHT AT my birthday when i turned 19 (driving license is only possible at age of 18 here) after i searched months for a Beretta thats in good condition.
Short story why i am a beretta enthusiast since lil kid:
My Dad (R.I.P) bought his 91 GT new back in 1991... i am a 1988 so you can image how i enjoyed to be the co-driver over my kid years :D
One day when i was 15 my parents sold the car cause some problems and my mom didnt very liked it much to drive it so something new and smaller car traded in for the beretta... that was like a shock for me. Pretty much after that i knew i want a Beretta as my first car. Always loved the V6 sound and all so i searched for a GT but then saw this GTZ and knew i got to have it.

After all these years as a Beretta GTZ owner i did some modifications and kept repairing what was broke... One day i searched for Berettas for sale here in Austria and so i found THE 91 GT what my parents sold when i was 15!!! I was soo happy and just went there and bought it! At this moment i had 3 Berettas, 90 GTZ, 91 GT and a 92 GT(was meant as a daily) which i parted out for parts for the 91 GT.
Some years later i wanted something faster and rear wheel driven, so i got a 4th gen LS1 Camaro and the GTZ had to go cause i couldnt sell the 91GT which i liked so much... lots and lots of memories.

And well... after all these years and always seein nice quad GTZ's i was like "hey, lets give the GTZ buyer a message to see what he did with his car" so i did that and got a message from him back that the still got the GTZ but he want to sell it. I was wondering how much he was asking for cause i could use some parts off it. He told me he doesnt know how much its worth anymore after 5years or not beeing driven and said its not starting anymore so he said maybe $530. I was thinking like "holy hell thats cheap" but lets try to get it for less... so i said i would get that car this weekend for $270 :D. He said OKAY COOL but you need a trailer... its not running cause of bad batterie and starter.
I was sooo happy so i just HAD to get it buying it back. 4 days later i went there with my buddies (only ~25miles away from me) with a trailer, went into the garage, got it started(that guys look was awesome cause he said its not running) and drove it out of the garage, loaded it on the trailer and went home.
Now i am a GTZ owner again :D :beer: :Yahoo!:

After checking this car out on the lift i knew i cant part this car out. I have to repair and drive it.

Lots of words and i hope i didnt made you bored, lol.
Here are finally pictures:
Trying to get this thing running.
Loaded on the trailer :)

Got home to our garage
These seat covers have to go, lol.

That looks so badass!!

Batterie swapped in...

And went on the street for a just a few meters to get some fresh gas.

There are some thing i have to do but its not really that bad at all. Ofcourse needs new tires, all new fluid in engine and trans, new brakes(pads and brake lines), exhaust and some interior/exterior work and MAYBE a new clutch. It also will get lowered in the next few months. Lowering springs are already on the way so it should be ready for the street by next year summer :)

Will keep you updates on whats will happen with that car and hope i didnt bored you too much! :D

1988GTU

Re: '90 GTZ W41 (bought back afters years i sold it) from AUSTRIA, EUROPE

Post by 1988GTU »

Congrats! Those type of reborn memories are great!

_________
-------------
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Love a good come back story! In this case it's a come back home story(in a way). Looks to be in very good shape up top.

keep'em flying!
ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

The car looks to be in darn good shape for a $270 car.
It started up after sitting for 5 years?!
I would have thought the gas would be bad.
Nice find! Interesting story.
Good luck with it.

snowblindburd
Administrator

Post by snowblindburd »

Yaaay! Such a pretty car! I'd love a '90 GTZ someday, but I bet for a couple hundred bucks in the states all I'd end up with is chunk of rust with some Beretta bits attached to it.

1991 Beretta GTZ
michi

Post by michi »

Thanks guys. Yeah that car really sat for 5 years and ran with the old gas, i was abit wondered too. When that guy bought the car from me he put the car in that garage and moved it 1 or 2 times out of the garage and back in, lol. And yeah, pretty awesome deal if you ask me. That guy hadnt it up for sale offically and looked like he didnt even was motivated to take some time to get pictures and put it up for sale... anyways, my luck :D
I sold him the car for $2200 5 years ago... :D he wanted around $550 first since he he couldnt get it running and was parked for that time so i talked to him and said i will get it now and bring a trailer for the money i paid :)

I wasnt really able to do anything in the last week cause of work so yesterday evening i had some free time and made it to the garage to get some things done. Nothing major but a good start anyways.

Went into the garage to get some new oil... :)

quad oilfilter vs. 3.1 V6 :D

So yesterday it got new engine and transmission oil and got some spare parts out of the car... I had some weird "whining" noise from the transmission when the engine was running... now its gone with the new oil. Lets hope it was just the oil... it looked pretty nasty.

This weekend i should be able to swap in some nice headlights, put my W41 IDI cover back on and some other little things ;)
Needs a bath pretty bad too... havent seen a car thats that dirty as the GTZ, lol!

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

I like the work area. Is it at home or off at a different non living residence?

It's cleaner than most DD's i've seen around here that are from the 90's! lol

_________
-------------
michi

Post by michi »

Yeah its at a garage i got with some buddies, already over 3 years now. Lots of space and 2 lifts...

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Places like those dont stick around long. Seems most get slapped with code violations or the building owner ends up in a legal matter resulting in forfeiture of property.

Will you need to change the rear bumper to mount the hideously long plate or are the plate sizes like our U.S ones?

_________
-------------
michi

Post by michi »

Yeah true but i think we can have that place for a long time... well lets hope, lol. Here you dont find much places like that... its pretty damn hard to find anything like that. The cool thing here is nobody cares if you work on your cars till in the night or even on sundays. Most people i know which also got a garage like that always have problems with neighbors.

Well the thing about the lincense plate... its a bit a problem. Here in Austria we can register up to 3 cars for ONE license plate... so i always switch the license plate on my cars to drive them. Saves alot of money... Its pretty expensive to have 3 cars and 3 licenseplates.
Here you pay the tax for horsepower.. means my Camaro is the most expensive of my cars, lol. I got 3 cars registered at one license plate but always pay the one that has most horsepower, means it costs me about $190 a month and i can drive the Camaro and other 2 cars.

So i have to look if i eighter convert the GT and Camaro back to "US style" ones or the GTZ to euro spec license plates... seems to be easier to convert the GTZ, lol. OR get a seperate license plate for the GTZ which would cost me another $120 a month... well i have to see which way i am going.

The "US style" license plate looks a bit shitty too... we just have way too big license plates here... that sucks.

Found an old picture of my GTZ where you can see the license plate.
Notice the finns(weba) is also sitting on the back seat of my car :)

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

I'd price out a Austria spec'd bumper for the camaro and GT then the cost for the GTZ separately. Divide it thru the time duration (annual) while planning fleet downsizing (selling off the RWD soon?) as a factor.

Is it legal to make a bracket to accept the plate onto a bumper that isn't equipped with such provisions?

Make a rectangular bracket with stanchions to fill in the gap for bumper clearance like in the link below. ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-108-11 ... 3cb51e0c37

_________
-------------
weba

Post by weba »

Here you have to have separate plates And insurance And taxes for every car, swapping plates would be really smart idea...

michi

Post by michi »

1988GTU wrote:I'd price out a Austria spec'd bumper for the camaro and GT then the cost for the GTZ separately. Divide it thru the time duration (annual) while planning fleet downsizing (selling off the RWD soon?) as a factor.

Is it legal to make a bracket to accept the plate onto a bumper that isn't equipped with such provisions?

Make a rectangular bracket with stanchions to fill in the gap for bumper clearance like in the link below. ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-108-11 ... 3cb51e0c37
I have to see how i will get this done... The idea is good but i need to have the license plate lightned too and also have to get this TÜV proofed... which means some engineers look at it at a inspection place and decide if its good or not, then i have to pay them to get this legal, lol.
Its very normal here but sounds so fucking strange to tell this to an american and realise how stupid these laws are here :D

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Some are a bit strange. Missouri makes you inspect a car every year. Some things can be repaired, but too much rust in the wrong areas ends the car's life. That is why cars in my state look better, but sometimes are not kept up well. That's the reason I've had to do tons of work on mine. It would pass in Missouri right now. Not going to spend the money to check though.
Oh man guess you have never looked at California's laws. CARB is stupid strict on what aftermarket parts you can put on. Even if they would help MPG and lower emissions(or keep them the same). Which is rare for an after market part, but still.

keep'em flying!
michi

Post by michi »

Its the same here. Inspection needed every year too and they also check the condition (mechanic, rust, emission) of the car and decide if the car is allowed to drive it on the street.
Here you also have to get every aftermarked part you install on the car inspected, legalized and have to pay for it so its legally installed on the car. Alot of people dont do that, lol. Basically you cant even swap to a different exhaust muffler because it could be too loud for the car. I really wish i would live in the US sometimes... :D

Anyways...
Yesterday i cleaned the interior some more... some mold was growing on the dashboard and some plastic parts... thats just gross. No wonder, that guy parked the car in a garage for 5 years with closed windows.
Also found some rust... i knew there was a little hole on passenger side rocker so i looked at it again and it surely, was even bigger now. Drivers side is all good, which wondered me.
Anyway, i decided to get the car inside the garage (its now parked under a carport)in the next few days, get the door and fender off to start some rust repair.
I will post some pictures then.