Help please 89 Chevy Beretta

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
BerettaGT89

Help please 89 Chevy Beretta

Post by BerettaGT89 »

Hey Beretta fam. I am in dire need of some assistance. It seems my 1989 Chevy Beretta GT is and has been having issues for the past 6 months. I have taken it three different mechanics now and they can't seem to fix the problem and only make matters worse for my bank account. To save you the boring stuff here is what is going on. My car revs high, low and repeats before it dies. Here is what I have done to it to correct this problem and now with all of that done I am still having an issue.

Replaced the following:

EGR
TCC Solenoid
Battery
Spark Plugs
ICV (Idle Control Valve)
Fuel Pump

With those being replaced and hearing from numerous people in the Beretta world that could cause that. I am here back at square one asking for assistance. Unfortunately I can't afford anymore money right now but anything would help as to what is still making my car rev high, low and eventually die once this happens a few times.

Thank you,

BerettaGT89

Money pit Beretta

Re: Help please 89 Chevy Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? There is a vacuum fitting on the intake near the TB that has three lines going to it. Sometimes they pop out or the gasket becomes too small to fill the void. Other than that you must look around and check the main lines. Small ones would not be enough to cause what is happening. You must also check the EVAP lines, there is a diagram on a sticker on the hood or in the engine compartment. Sometimes the lines to the vapor canister crack(which would cause two problems).

Not sure if you can do it, but you could try to unplug the MAF. Those things tend to go bad on the early years.

keep'em flying!
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Have you pulled the codes as of recent?

I'd guess at TPS or ICM for being the culprit. Where are you located? If local, I may be able to assist you with troubleshooting.

_________
-------------
BerettaGT89

Post by BerettaGT89 »

We checked for leaks and couldn't find any. Checking the EVAP right now. Where is the MAF located?

BerettaGT89

Post by BerettaGT89 »

Unfortunately we don't have a way to pull codes. I replaced the TPS 2 days ago and that didn't help. Did another relearn on it as well. What it's doing is when I brake ands then take my foot off the brake it just dies. The idle seems to be fine now otherwise. I'm located in Gardena CA probably to far. My number should you want to reach out is 310-803-2523 my name is Jarrod

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

The MAF is located between the air filter housing and the throttle body.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3112041957 ... rmvSB=true

keep'em flying!
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

External to the trans, unplug the TCC Solenoid. Test drive for a normal commute & report results.

_________
-------------
BerettaGT89

Post by BerettaGT89 »

Ok. I was told this was it but sounds like it's not. We're just about done with the car haha. 6 months of this. Replacing parts, removing every thing inside and out and still nothing.
Attachments
20160102_140853.jpg

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

BerettaGT89 wrote:Ok. I was told this was it but sounds like it's not. We're just about done with the car haha. 6 months of this. Replacing parts, removing every thing inside and out and still nothing.

http://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 59#p116459

Click the link

_________
-------------
ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

He said he replaced the TCC in his first post. So unplugging the TCC should make no difference.
Maybe he could check the connections for corrosion at the ECM, especially if he has firewall leaks.
Maybe unplug,look for corrosion spray with WD-40 and see if there is any change.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

If in the last post by BerettaGT89 represents the "TCC" and it being replaced, then I don't feel confident that the correct part was replaced. If I am tracking incorrectly, do tell.

Also note, installing new parts can be defective or not installed correctly. Leaving the original fault still lingering about.

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

If this is an idle in park stalling condition then that would exclude the TCC all together... but if this only happens after driving at a steady speed then coming to a stop I would have to agree that the TCC is not unlocking as it should. Another way to test that if you can not find/unplug the TCC (not the sensor pictured above, that is the Intake Air Temp sensor) try just putting the car into neutral when coming to a stop and see if it stays running that way. It will probably still stall as soon as you try to put it back into drive if the solenoid didn't release.

The fact that this car has not been fixed by any shops just amazes me that Mechanic's these day's can't troubleshoot and figure out the most basic systems... They rely on the most complex computer controlled setups to tell them whats wrong and what to replace... I'm loosing faith in that trade very quickly.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"