header constuction

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made
HateMyAuto

header constuction

Post by HateMyAuto »

So, I'm almost at the point where I could get some headers put on my car, I have all the tools needed where I work, it's just a matter of getting pipe and doing it. But first, a few questions. Specifically, what is there to be improved from the stock headers? Better flow? How? Also if anyone could give me ideas on ideal sizes, lengths and bends for fitting, I don't exactly have the time to leave the car inoperable for a week or so while I sort this out in my spare time... Thanks.

'96 Z26 Now with 10% more displacement
'94 Camaro
HateMyAuto

header constuction

Post by HateMyAuto »

Hijacking my own thread here, but a few more questions. If the old exhaust is replaced, do the O2 sensors need to be the same distance apart as they originally were in order to function properly? Also, does it make a difference in sound if you have a short exhaust/long tail pipe vs a long exhaust/short tail pipe? To clear up any confusion, by tail pipe I mean anything past the muffler, and exhaust would be anything before.

'96 Z26 Now with 10% more displacement
'94 Camaro
wicked-irocz

header constuction

Post by wicked-irocz »

1 5/8" primarys are what most have been going with.  Merging them on top of the trany to a flex joint is a good idea then feed the front banks exhaust in after the merging of the rear bank.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
gtuturbo

header constuction

Post by gtuturbo »

The upstream O2 sensor can be put anywhere in front of the catalytic converter. Since the downstream is for catalyst effenciency , I would keep it as close to the converter as possible on the downstream side. I'm just guessing here, but I could see the emission gasses changing do to cooler temperatures while travelling through the exhaust pipe that could give an altered reading? ÂÂÂ
Maybe you could research some catalyst equations and let us all know. ÂÂÂ

Paul Keller
1988 Chevrolet Beretta GTU (turbocharged) (bought new in August 1988)
1966 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT
2017 Kia Sorento V6 AWD
2017 GMC Acadia SLE-1
leadfoot93

header constuction

Post by leadfoot93 »

on the subject of header construction, does anyone know of a good pipe kit to cut/weld the primary's and collector.   Like the ones that just come with a bunch of pipe curls and the collector

foot in the floor mpg about 8
docrodg

header constuction

Post by docrodg »

Jegs sells some decent kits.  I wouldn't go above 1 5/8 inch or your velocity could drop way low on the exhaust gases causing backflow.  You can get 1 3/4 header plates and do a backflow ledge on them for the 1 5/8 pipes too to help.  For primary and secondary length get the equations and figure out the tuned length for best performance.

piaras

header constuction

Post by piaras »

Check out my posting called "header pics" in the exhaust section. I used 1.5" pipe and placed the O2 sensor where it would see the two banks as well as possible. The header are coated in and out which helps in keeping the heat in, and the engine runs cooler as well!

Had 88 Beretta GT since new, Updated to 93 brakes in 94, Reinforced front lower control arms, All poly bushings fr/rr,
Long tube headers in 1992, CAI setup from Honda CRX