dash lights no work!!!

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
88gtz

dash lights no work!!!

Post by 88gtz »

Hey guys I bought that 90 GTZ from Geoff he thought the fusible link was popped behind dash but when I turn on the lights the backlight for headlights comes on so I woukd think that's not the case, any help greatly appreciated also this car was swapped to newer interior. Thanks, Joe

91 GMC Syclone
88 GTU 330k
89 GTU 5 speed
93 GTZ quaser quad
93 GT Garnet 5 speed
01 2500 HD
77 K-10
64 El Camino Ls1-T56
94 Z26 (parts car) rust belt rust bucket
DemoOfWings

Re: dash lights no work!!!

Post by DemoOfWings »

I'm having this same issue in my 89 Base. The headlights come on but the dash lights and any other lights don't work. The dimmer doesn't also do anything. Checked everything I can think of(Fuse, Wires, Lights, Grounds) will replace light switch tomorrow and see if that's it.

DemolitionOfWings
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

There is a metal bar that contacts the circuit on the dial of the dimmer. My guess is that it is no longer contacting.
However my problem on the 90GT was not the same. Some how the interior lights were staying on. There is a bump on the back of the dial that raises the bar up and lets it drop on to a contact point(you can feel that when rotating the dial). Moving the dial to that point and back did nothing, so it must have had something to do with the bar contacting before the bump. Bent the bar and made sure it was in contact with the dial circuit. That fixed it.
It's not hard to take the lights and the dimmer switches out. They only look to be one piece. As for taking the dimmer apart it is also not a hard thing to do. After over ten years I can't give a step by step, sorry.
Could jump the connecter and see if that turns the lights on. That is all I've got guys, good luck.

Joe, no work has been needed on my 95 so not sure how it is set up. Rip it apart and look, post what you find if you can.

keep'em flying!
DemoOfWings

Post by DemoOfWings »

I have already tried doing that but it doesn't seem to work. Do you know what wires I can jump?

DemolitionOfWings
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

That I'm not sure of, never had to do that. If you can get a cheap multimeter or just a noid light(looks like a pen that has a light in it) you can test to find the power. Then find a ground and use a short wire from the ground to the power. Basic stuff, but it's the only way.
Well there is trying to look up a wiring diagram on line. That could be hard to do.

keep'em flying!
DemoOfWings

Post by DemoOfWings »

Well I figured out that the switch had a couple corroded point so I soldered them back together, then I found out that the actual dimmer board had a broken trace on it. So I wired a switch and put it in the dash to turn the lights on or off. Problem solved!
I guess that's just the problem with cars that have been sitting in a lot for years on end.

DemolitionOfWings
ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

If my 88's dash lights, ever stop working I know where to look thanks for posting.