89 GTU fuel pressure specs

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Pcolucci

89 GTU fuel pressure specs

Post by Pcolucci »

Hello, new to the blog so hopefully we can get some help. We are looking for the fuel pressure specs on our 89 GTU. We are thinking we have a bad fuel regulator. 60+ lbs at the pump but only 37 pounds at the rail. No fuel in the vacuum line that we can see or any leaking out when the key is on. Does the regulator have to be leaking to be bad? The car will start if you step on the gas while cranking and stay running but it will not idle, let off the gas and it does. We have ohmed the injectors all read 12.5, any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Stencil
Administrator

Re: 89 GTU fuel pressure specs

Post by Stencil »

I believe the 2.8 is rated at 40PSI @ the rail. When my pump went bad in my 92, the car would start and idle-ish but would die when you pushed on the gas. I was seeing about 9PSI at the rail when that was happening. I don't think the regulator needs to be leaking to be bad - I'd probably pull the injector rail out and put it in a bucket and then crank the car and see if the injectors are actually working. It's not uncommon to have 2-3 go bad and while they ohm out OK. I just did one the other day that was causing the car to idle very rough and get really bad mileage - ohmed out fine, but when I took them out and checked I saw that it was leaking fuel (dripping hard) when it had pressure and when it sprayed it was a squirt not a fine mist like it was supposed to be. Changed that out and all was well.

-Aaron
'92 Beretta GTZ 2.3L 5M - Undergoing "unibody off" restoration ATM (almost done!)
'93 Beretta GT "MISEREE" 3.1 5M
'95 Beretta Base DGGM 2.2 5M
'96 Beretta "FAUXZ26" 2.2 5M