Smooth Shifting?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
pkintigh

Smooth Shifting?

Post by pkintigh »

GM Advertised the Getrag 5 speed as smooth shifting. I own or have owned 3 of them and I have found them to be somewhat balky as one road test article described. They work ok but do leave something to be desired. There are 2 areas the problems likely come from. First of all the clutch needs to go clear to the floor to fully release. I have replaced the clutch as well as the fork and fork needle bearing on the 88 2.8 car and somewhat better but not real good. On the 90 2.3 cars one I converted one to internal slave and one had a new clutch with fork and they are always near the floor for full release. I have driven other cars with manual transmissions and the clutches seem to release sooner. The other area is the shifter itself. They don't seem to be quite as smooth as they could be. Has anyone had success on improving on the shifting? I have tried the oem MT lubricant as well as redline synthetic in the gearbox itself. Any Ideas?

Money pit Beretta

Re: Smooth Shifting?

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Do they still make Booger Bushings? Those were said to help the feel of the shifter. Making it a bit tighter than the sloppy OEM bushings. Their site said that they were for a Dodge, but would work with GM FWD 5sp's too.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Moved this out of the forum rules section.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
themixer

Post by themixer »

Money pit Beretta wrote:Do they still make Booger Bushings? Those were said to help the feel of the shifter. Making it a bit tighter than the sloppy OEM bushings. Their site said that they were for a Dodge, but would work with GM FWD 5sp's too.

i believe these were for the 2.2 shiftier cables.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Booger Bushings ® also fit some GM cars with the Getrag 282 and 284, ie Lumina Z34, Cutlass Supreme, etc.
Many of these cars have only one cable and only use 2 small bushings. Continue on to the Order page to order these "1/2 sets".

As someone with an auto trans and has forgot more than I'd like to admit, I've got no idea. That quote comes from their site.

keep'em flying!
Stencil
Administrator

Post by Stencil »

I'd switch over to some Redline MTL trans fluid - it's always helped my shifting smoothness.

-Aaron
'92 Beretta GTZ 2.3L 5M - Undergoing "unibody off" restoration ATM (almost done!)
'93 Beretta GT "MISEREE" 3.1 5M
'95 Beretta Base DGGM 2.2 5M
'96 Beretta "FAUXZ26" 2.2 5M
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

It was this way with the 1988 GT with 2.8 v6 manual, and the 90 GTZ I currently own also does this: It feels like th syncros don't fully match rev when shifting, and the clutch is verified to be fully engaging and disengaging. Reverse always seems to have no syncro.
I feel like that is just how these cars are, I know of a 95 I4 with manual (Not the quad) and it behaves the same way as well when shifting.