High Flow Exhaust

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made
hacknfrack

High Flow Exhaust

Post by hacknfrack »

I've been urged by my local shop to replace my exhaust system due to some burn holes at the joints. I figured while I was doing this, I might look into seeing if a high-flow exhaust was worth it.

My engine is a stock 2.2 4-cyl. Stock air intake, ECM, and fuel management. Would I see any advantage from a high flow exhaust, or would it more likely create a vacuum and cause me to lose power?

Thanks.

rweatherford

High Flow Exhaust

Post by rweatherford »

If you don't plan on doing anything else I would just go with a stock size pipe.  If you want to do lots of modifications then you might go up a step in size.  Most mufflers will flow plenty, so just pick the one that sounds good to you.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

hacknfrack

High Flow Exhaust

Post by hacknfrack »

What other modifications are we talking about?

I do have a K&N air filter.  Not that that's much, but it's a basic start.  Actually, I do notice a performance difference with that alone.

Jeff P

High Flow Exhaust

Post by Jeff P »

Modifications like porting & polishing, etc....internal engine stuff, or power adders like turbos.  Basically big modifications that will cause you to flow a lot more air that would require a more free-flowing exhaust system....OR if you're thinking about an engine upgrade (to a 3400 or something) anytime soon.  If you're thinking about things like that, it probably wouldn't hurt to go up a 1/4" or even 1/2" in diameter and get a good cat/muffler.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi