Camber

Archived topics from the Suspension and Brakes Forum
3100SFI

Camber

Post by 3100SFI »

How do I adjust the camber on a 96 base?

Kyle
2003 VW New Beetle

Camber

Post by Guest »

the lower strut bolt holding the strut to the spindle should be slotted if the car has aftermarket struts on it---if it still has the factory struts on it you will have to slot the holes or replace the struts.

3100SFI

Camber

Post by 3100SFI »

The struts are factory. I had my lower control arm bushings replaced. They had also done an alignment the best they could and the mechanic said the camber was off. He wrote: "Struts need knock-outs removed to adjust camber." Does that mean anything to you? He mentioned spacer plates too. I know NASCAR uses spacer plates to adjust camber. Is that bascially the same?

Kyle
2003 VW New Beetle
Canada

Camber

Post by Canada »

Quote (3100SFI @ June 18 2002,8:09)The struts are factory. I had my lower control arm bushings replaced. They had also done an alignment the best they could and the mechanic said the camber was off. He wrote: "Struts need knock-outs removed to adjust camber." Does that mean anything to you? He mentioned spacer plates too. I know NASCAR uses spacer plates to adjust camber. Is that bascially the same?
that sounds like what BerettaGT/14ASEcerts just said, you pry should go with new struts, improves the feel and ride, dramatically. how many miles are on it? mine went till 80,000

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

Camber

Post by Guest »

Replace the struts and you will not have to worry about "knockouts". The lower mounting hole on the aftermarket struts is already slotted so there is room for camber adjustment. The shims are for the rear camber adjustment. When getting an alignment always ask for a before and after print out also just to make sure they actaully did something. Most vehicles, unless they have had parts replaced, usually just need the toe setting done.

3100SFI

Camber

Post by 3100SFI »

Cool, thanks. I've been wanting to change to stiffer springs and get new shock/struts anyways, so I'll do that. Does anyone recommend a certain brand and where I can get them? btw my ride has 52,000 miles on her.

Kyle
2003 VW New Beetle

Camber

Post by Guest »

Depends on what you wnat your car to do...do you wnat to improve the handling??? keep the stock ride???I would start a post in the suspension section and see what those guys recommend as far as performance struts and shocks go. I put Monroe's on my car for about 50$ each strut. They are factory replacement equivalents and do not improve the handling over stock.