Good winter tires

Archived topics from the Wheels and Tires Forum

Good winter tires

Post by Guest »

Hey guys, my tires are damn worn, and I should get some better winter weather ones anyways.  I live in iowa which means a mean as hell winter.  Not looking for studded tires or anything, just something with good grip in winter, and something that doesn't ride like granite in the summer (we have really rough roads)

Thanks for the input guys,  someone at frickin tire place tried telling me a performance 80$/tire +mounting&balancing etc. was the best tire for the winter, I looked at that thing and my tires wich are nearly slicks look like they have more tread and better grip in the snow.

I hate idiots....

--FlymoN--

Canada

Good winter tires

Post by Canada »

Look around at tirerack.com. There are tons of reviews and reports from previous owners of the same tire.

Which part of Iowa are you from? I from the Northeast, I go to school at ISU. Dustbunnie & 89GTZ are from Dubuque. KLFO and Baims are near Ottumwa. Bonecrrusher is near Moline.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta
stang&2Birds

Good winter tires

Post by stang&2Birds »

There is only ONE WINTER TIRE:  Blizzaks!!!

I DARE you to find ANYONE that has ANY complaints about using NEW Blizzaks!  BTW:  These are REAL SNOW TIRES!!   People that use them during the summer are *STUPID*!  REAL SNOW TIRES wear Quickly!  They wear VERY VERY VERY QUICKLY in warm weather.

I've been driving in New England winters for over 15 years.  When Blizzaks came out, I got them for my parents (I paid for the tires, rims, mounting, etc) for my parents to use in the winter.  Need I say more?

Joe -- 94 Olds Achieva Quad 4 HO ; 92 Olds Achieva Quad 4 SOHC; '69 Firebird 350 ; '77 Olds Cutlass (Yes, I have *4* GM cars. ).  86 TBird & 86 Mustang GT with Cobra brakes & ABS.
FREE Pace Calculator program for running/walking/etc

Good winter tires

Post by Guest »

Thanks!, I'll check into them.  Hopefully they're not too expensive...  

Canada:  I'm from Cascade Iowa, which is near Dubuque..  like between Dubuque and Cedar Rapids on hwy 151  (the one getting turned into a 4 laner)

This town sucks by the way, absolutely nothing to do, it's so darned small.  Dubuque is the closest real city, and there's nothing really great to do there either :\

okay, I'll stop complaining

anyways thanks for the tips guys

--FlymoN--

stang&2Birds

Good winter tires

Post by stang&2Birds »

Some other notes if you are talking about *real snow tires*:

o  Since they should not be used in the summer (unless you want them to be useless the next winter) and tire should not be taken off/on rims multiple times, you should (really must) have a set of rims for the winter tires.

o  If you have ABS:  ALL FOUR TIRES MUST have the SAME DIAMETER within ~3%.  The rims do NOT have to be the same size.  But, the Tire DIAMETER does, but not the rim.

For just about all snow tires, you have the SNOW tire tread *materal* for the first ~60%-75%.  The LAST ~25% is ofetn more ALL SEASON-like than snow tire like.  Snow tire tread material is soft.  For Blizzaks (and the 1-2 other so called "ice grippable snow tires") the top most tread (first ~75%) has the cells (whatever) that allow *some* gripping on ice.

You can find rims at:
http://car-part.com/

Joe -- 94 Olds Achieva Quad 4 HO ; 92 Olds Achieva Quad 4 SOHC; '69 Firebird 350 ; '77 Olds Cutlass (Yes, I have *4* GM cars. ).  86 TBird & 86 Mustang GT with Cobra brakes & ABS.
FREE Pace Calculator program for running/walking/etc

Good winter tires

Post by Guest »

I got a set of HANKOOKS for the front of my car last winter, they worked really well, a little noisy on the highway, but not too bad. Last winter we would drive from Worcester MA to Sunday River in Maine almost every weekend. I was alway the first one down the driveway to the cabin, even if it had snowed. I was very impressed with these. Had them mounted on my old 14" rims and i think they only cost me $30 each or something