No Other L Bodies?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
MikeH

No Other L Bodies?

Post by MikeH »

I know that there was a Pontiac version of the Corsica that was sold in Canada, but why were there no other versions sold in the U.S.? I've read some old articles and Chevy seemed very proud that there would be no other versions sold by the other GM divisions, but no explanation was offered.

Mike
1993 Chevrolet Beretta Base V6
Obsessedw/Berettas

No Other L Bodies?

Post by Obsessedw/Berettas »

The short-lived Pontiac Tempes (Chevy Corsica clone) was sold in Canada only.

Other than that, I'm 99.9% certain all L-bodies were Chevrolets.

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."
- C.S. Lewis
MikeH

No Other L Bodies?

Post by MikeH »

(Obsessedw/Berettas @ Apr. 12 2008,11:36)QUOTEThe short-lived Pontiac Tempes (Chevy Corsica clone) was sold in Canada only.

Other than that, I'm 99.9% certain all L-bodies were Chevrolets.
I know about the Tempest. I was just curious as to why there were no other divisions that sold a version of the L Body in the US.

Mike
BerettaLove32

No Other L Bodies?

Post by BerettaLove32 »

GM had plenty of small FWD cars like the beretta so, there probably wasn't a need to go make more of them. Why did only Pontiac make a GTO from 04-06, and no one else?

snowblindburd
Administrator

No Other L Bodies?

Post by snowblindburd »

(BerettaLove32 @ Apr. 12 2008,12:52)QUOTEGM had plenty of small FWD cars like the beretta so, there probably wasn't a need to go make more of them. Why did only Pontiac make a GTO from 04-06, and no one else?
Lol except for holden, vauxhall, opel, etc.

I dunno the reasoning but I always found it pretty cool that there are no other cars like ours.  I used to think the Grand Am was an L-body, which of course they are not.  They do seem somewhat similar though.

1991 Beretta GTZ
Obsessedw/Berettas

No Other L Bodies?

Post by Obsessedw/Berettas »

It's unusal for GM not to badge-engineer the hell out of everything they make, so it is really odd that there's not an Oldsmobile or Pontiac version of the Beretta.

I guess GM figured that Olds had some version of the J-body for a while and it didn't sell and Pontiac's Grand Am was selling like crazy so there wasn't a need for them to have the Beretta.

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."
- C.S. Lewis
MikeH

No Other L Bodies?

Post by MikeH »

(Obsessedw/Berettas @ Apr. 13 2008,16:44)QUOTEIt's unusal for GM not to badge-engineer the hell out of everything they make, so it is really odd that there's not an Oldsmobile or Pontiac version of the Beretta.

I guess GM figured that Olds had some version of the J-body for a while and it didn't sell and Pontiac's Grand Am was selling like crazy so there wasn't a need for them to have the Beretta.
What got me thinking about it was that in the article I read the guy that was being interviewed made a point about none of the other divisions having a version, but they didn't get into why they made the decision.

Mike