Rear brake adjustment

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum
98beretta kid

Rear brake adjustment

Post by 98beretta kid »

I need to know how to adjust the rear brakes on my '89 Beretta.

-Bryan

1989 Beretta GT (Money pit #1)
1996 GMC Sonoma (Money pit #2)
1993 GTZ ( Couldn't ask for a better Car)

The 3 reasons why I'm broke
Chris88CL

Rear brake adjustment

Post by Chris88CL »

I'd go out and buy a haynes manual.  Its too hard to explain online.

98beretta kid

Rear brake adjustment

Post by 98beretta kid »

Quote (Chris88CL @ Jan. 10 2003,15:47)I'd go out and buy a haynes manual.  Its too hard to explain online.
Its pretty difficult im guessing, huh?

-Bryan

chevythunder

Rear brake adjustment

Post by chevythunder »

Quote (98beretta kid @ Jan. 11 2003,15:13)Quote (Chris88CL @ Jan. 10 2003,15:47)I'd go out and buy a haynes manual.  Its too hard to explain online.
Its pretty difficult im guessing, huh?
Have you ever done it before ??on any car ?It isn't that hard .There is a rubber plug on the back of the backing plate pop it out and use an adjuster to spin the star wheel and bam
you are adjusted ..But this should be happening by itself .What exactly is going on with the brakes ..Just your emergency brake or what ??

Rear brake adjustment

Post by Guest »

Put car in reverse, back up @ around 5 mph, apply brakes many times.  Should self adjust.  If not, spin star wheel (adjustment wheel) until drum turns w/resistance.

98beretta kid

Rear brake adjustment

Post by 98beretta kid »

Quote (lilguido1 @ Jan. 13 2003,14:59)Put car in reverse, back up @ around 5 mph, apply brakes many times.  Should self adjust.  If not, spin star wheel (adjustment wheel) until drum turns w/resistance.
Thats what a friend said to do but i didnt believe him. I know they need to be adjusted because in my mechanics class i had my car on the hoist and with the brakes applied, the rear tires could still be spun by hand.

-Bryan

Rear brake adjustment

Post by Guest »

If you can turn the wheels with the brakes applied, then something needs serious attention.  If it's that bad, you're not going to be able to spin the adjuster screw b/c it's most likely rusted and won't turn.  

You'll probably have to take off the brake shoes and all the springs and hardware that hold them on, remove the adjuster screw from the shoes, and try to break the screw free.  Take the screw out of the sheath and clean the rust off it with a wire brush.  Put some quality lubricant on the screw (anti-seize lube may work well) and put everything back together.  Adjust the screw outward until the wheel turns with slight resistance, as suggested by lilguido1.  

This is about the best help I can give you unless you have some more specific questions.

Good Luck!

Mike

Rear brake adjustment

Post by Guest »

It would be a good idea to replace the springs and other hardware if they are original or noticebly rusted.  You can usually pick up a kit for $5 or less at a local parts store.   And while you're at it, check the wheel cylinders to make sure they're not leaking brake fluid.;)

Rear brake adjustment

Post by Guest »

I agree with everything above, but having done rear brakes on many cars. I find that usually the back brakes get severely neglected until they dont work..  My recommendation.....Go spend 40-50 bucks and put on new shoes, springs and adjusters, Hell have the drums turned while your at it (should run @ 8 bucks each at NAPA) Clean and assemble..Look at it this way...  If you do it know you shouldnt have to mess with them for a couple of years

98beretta kid

Rear brake adjustment

Post by 98beretta kid »

Quote (Y???me @ Jan. 22 2003,02:09)I agree with everything above, but having done rear brakes on many cars. I find that usually the back brakes get severely neglected until they dont work..  My recommendation.....Go spend 40-50 bucks and put on new shoes, springs and adjusters, Hell have the drums turned while your at it (should run @ 8 bucks each at NAPA) Clean and assemble..Look at it this way...  If you do it know you shouldnt have to mess with them for a couple of years
Im not confident enough to do rear brakes. Front ones are no problem. The rear ones look to complicated for me

-Bryan

Rear brake adjustment

Post by Guest »

Their really not that bad... The main thing is to remember where each spring goes and use a good pair of pliers or vise grips..   They do make a special tool but...:p .  Also use several cans of good brake cleaner and DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR OR INHALE BRAKE DUST!!!!!!!  Asbestos is still around and even if its not asbestos you dont need it in you! :0

98beretta kid

Rear brake adjustment

Post by 98beretta kid »

Quote (Y???me @ Jan. 22 2003,19:57)Their really not that bad... The main thing is to remember where each spring goes and use a good pair of pliers or vise grips..  They do make a special tool but...:p .  Also use several cans of good brake cleaner and DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR OR INHALE BRAKE DUST!!!!!!!  Asbestos is still around and even if its not asbestos you dont need it in you! :0
In my skill center class we use a wire brush and have a vacuum hose close to the brush sucking up all that crap, just a tip for some of you guys. Ive decided to go ahead and change all my brakes, the pedal is starting to get soft and is almost to the floor.

-Bryan