Hood release

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Hood release

Post by Guest »

The hood release requires an excessive amount of pull to pop the hood. I'm guessing the hood release cable is on it's way out, at least that's what it sounds to me. I got pricing, and it seems like it's only $12 bucks to buy new.

I'm just wondering, is this a pain to replace? What all is necessary in removing it? It looks like just pull it out with a string attached to it so the new one can be pulled in. However, I'm not sure where the cable is located. I know it runs through the bottom driver side of the interior, but where does it run into the engine bay? Any special tools needed? I want to replace this, because the force required to pop the hood is ridiculous.

-Steve

Kevskate99

Hood release

Post by Kevskate99 »

I did this to a 96 grand prix and it took about an hour. You will probably need a long regular screwdriver to pry some of the clips that hold the cable in its place(Some might be hard to reach). You will need to remove the trim peice and fold the carpet away(and kickpanel speaker possibly if you have it). And when I went to put the new one in I cut the wire where the hood lever is and tied it to the new one(the old one where it was cut got tied to the latch end on the new one). And I then proceeded to remove the end where the latch is under the hood and then pulled it through a little at a time, of course sometimes it was REALLY hard but I kept trying and eventually got it. Although what I did it on had alot less space to work with under the hood than the L-body. But I wouldn't take the old one out and then try to get the new one in, I would definetly use the old hood latch cable as the "string" that you mentioned. Also before you change it, try lubing the hood latch under the hood with PB Blaster and WD-40 or something, see if that works. Mine has been really hard to pull ever since it got cold too. :rock:

88GTRacer

Hood release

Post by 88GTRacer »

The hood release cable isn't that much from your local dealership.  I would advise that the hood cable be replaced soon before it snaps on you.  You will need a flat head & philips screwdriver, ratchet with sockets (Replaced on an 88GT).  First, pop the hood, remove the panel underneath the steering wheel column.  Second, remove the door trim and the 3 screws holding down the the hood release latch.  Now, under the hood using a flathead or a tool of prefference; pry the cable upward from the securing clip.  Third, get underneath the the steering column and follow the cable until it reaches to an end.  Unscrew the rubber grommet counter clockwise and pull on the cable from the inside until it comes out.  You might have to remove some caulking insulation surrounding grommet.  Installation is reverse of removal.  88GTRacer

"It is one of the most beautiful shapes on the road. Aero, alluring and very aggressive.
It is a Beretta, the new performance coupe from Chevrolet."

Hood release

Post by Guest »

Thanks, definitely something I'll have to do when it warms up a little, or next time I'm at my bud's work.

Thanks for the advice.

-Steve

Hood release

Post by Guest »

Thats all Good Advice but you might want to try this..  Most small engine, motorcycle, and bicycle shops have a little contraption thats really neat.  Its a block of steel or aluminum that split with a special piece of plastic inside.  You clamp this contraption on the end of a brake, accelerator, clutch,  (HOOD?!?!?!) cable and insert the straw,that comes with your favorite can of Penetrating Lubricant, into a special little hole and proceed to fill the cable housing with lube!!!  I know this having worked at both a small engine, and bicycle shop.  Most people have never seen one.  Ask around and you might be able to save time and A little money...

Chris88CL

Hood release

Post by Chris88CL »

That might work, but odds are that with a vehicle this old the cable has broken and begun to fray inside the housing and thats why its becoming difficult to pull.  Its just a matter of time before it snaps in half (probably pretty quick actually).  My housing is broken and has allowed some water to enter the cable and I can see its starting to rust.  I need to buy a new cable.  Let me know the part number if you buy it from the dealer please Puck (PS: Pm me about the shifter plate please)