Gauges don't light up......

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Post by Guest »

All the rest of my dash lights work, uses look good, is there a bulb I can replace? Any place else I should look?

Thanks, Eric.

Kevskate99

Post by Kevskate99 »

There are two/four bulbs behind the cluster that can be replaced depending if you have a full cluster or not. I am assuming you don't have the digi dash also(did they even offer the digi dash in 88?).

Post by Guest »

all four bulbs are in a parallel circuit, which means, if one burns out, the others can still work. i think either your power or ground to those lights must be broken, causing all of them to turn off. especially since all other interior lights do work.
pull out your instument cluster. once you get it out, flip it over and look at the electrical connector on the back. not the red or the green clips, this one is huge and has two ribbon style cables going to it.
make sure all of the conductors are flat and straight, if they look corroded, you can use a pencil eraser to clean them (gently). i think this is where you will find your problem. if not, you will need to check with a multimeter to make sure you have proper power and ground connections on the harness in the dash. post your results, maybe we will be able to point you in the right direction. good luck.:)

Post by Guest »

Thanks, I'm going to do as you said. I'll let ya know how it goes......

Eric.

BerettaSS

Post by BerettaSS »

also check the individual contacts, in the big bulk connector fixed to the dash board, to see if ne of them is pressed down were it wouldn't make good contact.