Battery in trunk

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum
MAD MARK

Battery in trunk

Post by MAD MARK »

I would like to see some pictures of how people placed their battery into their trunk. I know a couple of you have done this. Lets see some pics!

MAD MARK
z284pwr

Battery in trunk

Post by z284pwr »

Was a use what ya got thing when we were doing the CRX intake thingy...so just used the 4 guage amp wire we had, just re-wired it that way....works pretty good so far...you wanna see anything else, just say, I'll get pictures...

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto

Battery in trunk

Post by Guest »

Quote (MAD MARK @ Feb. 03 2003,11:45)I would like to see some pictures of how people placed their battery into their trunk. I know a couple of you have done this. Lets see some pics!
I thought you looked at how mine was done when we were at bfest, Mark?

badbluballinGTX

Battery in trunk

Post by badbluballinGTX »

i used 4 gauge amp wire too but i think 2 gauge would be better cause it seems my stereo isnt getting enough power. it dims when the bass hits and i'm only running 6x9s also i used the original battery tray just did a little cutting and put a small piece of 2x4 to level it. i cant upload pics but if you email me i'll be happy to send mikedamageinc@hotmail.com

1994 Z26
MAD MARK

Battery in trunk

Post by MAD MARK »

No I did not check yours out. Anyone else have pictures?

MAD MARK
Chris88CL

Battery in trunk

Post by Chris88CL »

I will have pics as soon as I figure out how to mount it in the trunk.  Im trying to find a nice box like Brian but all I can find is stupid hold down J bolts.  I've got the wiring run now though....

z284pwr

Battery in trunk

Post by z284pwr »

Quote (Chris88CL @ Feb. 04 2003,14:49)I will have pics as soon as I figure out how to mount it in the trunk.  Im trying to find a nice box like Brian but all I can find is stupid hold down J bolts.  I've got the wiring run now though....
Is what we did is took a trip down to the local Autoparts store, went to the battery/oil/all that good stuff section of the store, and found a Marine battery box, that's all it is, its make for a top post battery, so we had to cut some off the sides so the battery cables fit...but works fine, good thing now is that when the battery does die on us, we'll just be able to get a Top Post battery....Then we just drilled 2 holes through the trunk, bolts them down real good, and that problem was done...Then just put the battery in, and used that little lid thingy to make it looks good...I can get some better pictures if you need to see what to get, the pictures are so dark thanks to the black carpet in the trunk against a white car...anyways...the battery fits in great, I've got atleast 2 inches of room in there for a bigger battery...Only problem now is I need some stiffer shocks/springs, the drivers side is obviously  lower than the other side, thats alright, after the motor is done, suspension is next, bastards at Koni had to stop making the struts from what I understand, and I really wanted to get something built for lower or better suspension than the KYBs, but didn't want to go as fancy as the Bilsteins...any suggestions?  If not, I'll figure something out for that come April/May/June time

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
Chris88CL

Battery in trunk

Post by Chris88CL »

Yeah I know what you got, but I havent been able to find a similar product anywhere around here.  And trust me, Ive been searching  I think for now I might just have the battery sitting loose in the trunk.  Its not like the car is moving anywhere anyway.  Its just sitting in the backyard.  Its not even special enough to get a trailer

NVMYGTZ

Battery in trunk

Post by NVMYGTZ »

You can order it from Summit as a kit.
Let me see if I can find a pic of mine, if not I'll go take one...... Well I had to go out & take a pic, here it is.

Chris88CL

Battery in trunk

Post by Chris88CL »

Yeah I dont want to spend $75 on a kit though. I've already got the wiring etc, I just need the box.  Im probably going to have to end up doing something custom.  I want my optima battery to be visible too, not completely hidden.

NVMYGTZ

Battery in trunk

Post by NVMYGTZ »

I'm not 100% sure but NHRA requires batteries to be in a sealed box or rear compartment, I think even gel type batteries like the Optima.
But not all tracks adhear to that rule or enforce it often, but that's only if you plan on racing anyways.

MAD MARK

Battery in trunk

Post by MAD MARK »

The battery box I picked up today for only 12 bucks. The kit is only $44 shipped, so I dont know where you got $75.

I got the wire and everything too, picked up negative cable tonight.

MAD MARK
Chris88CL

Battery in trunk

Post by Chris88CL »

Im canadian Mark  Multiply all US prices by 1.5 and you get cdn funds.

Battery in trunk

Post by Guest »

yeah that's about right.

badbluballinGTX

Battery in trunk

Post by badbluballinGTX »

i just used amp wire i had left over and modded the original battery tray email me for pix i'm taking my digital cam outside now

1994 Z26