Attn all q4 gurus!

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Attn all q4 gurus!

Post by Guest »

I ran a search and noone has seemed to talk about the head bolts/studs.  I've been away for awhile looking  at alot of other cars and all the others with head gasket problems have increased the torque of the head bolts/studs and replaced the gasket with a metal one.

I was wondering what the "recommended" torque values were for the quad 4s head.

rweatherford

Attn all q4 gurus!

Post by rweatherford »

Depends on the head gasket.  Felpro has a new torque sequence and amounts.  Any parts store can give you the correct amount.  With a metal gasket you should probably ask the manufacturer.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Attn all q4 gurus!

Post by Guest »

I have the ARP head stud kit. Right on the install sheet it says to ignore the factory torque specs and torque to 80lbs (if I remember correctly), while still using the factory torque pattern. If your doing a rebuild on a Quad I would highly recommend the ARP kit. Installation is made nice and easy with it and the quality of the bolts is way above factory grade.

Attn all q4 gurus!

Post by Guest »

Quote (Shift @ Feb. 07 2003,13:38)I have the ARP head stud kit. Right on the install sheet it says to ignore the factory torque specs and torque to 80lbs (if I remember correctly), while still using the factory torque pattern. If your doing a rebuild on a Quad I would highly recommend the ARP kit. Installation is made nice and easy with it and the quality of the bolts is way above factory grade.
Thats what I was talking about there. The third gen Supras run at like 40 lbs and the ARP kit calls for 77.

I just wanted to see  if the same was true for the Q4.

Attn all q4 gurus!

Post by Guest »

Sounds like it is. I won't install anything else but ARP from now on. (for heads) As long as its available of course.

Attn all q4 gurus!

Post by Guest »

I rebuilt my head this past summer.  I used the Felpro top end rebuild kit, including head bolts.  They did not come with any special instructions.  I do know however, that different years of quad fours have different bolting sequences.  I used the sequence for my engine year, as found in the Haynes as well as the Haynes torque values and I have had no problems yet.  I have since put on around 16,000 Km. with a medium degree of beating.