Dumb question

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum
woody90gtz

Dumb question

Post by woody90gtz »

in my 90 gtz there only seems to be one front wheel that spins.  when my driveway gets slippery and im going up, i spin for a little while and then get traction. ive noticed every time that only the passenger tire digs into the snow and reaches the pavement. the driver side tire's path is never dug to the pavement. are GTZ's only 1 wheel drive?  the front tires i have have been on for the same amount of time and theres alot more wear on the passenger side.  and if if it is 2WD, are both independent because it doesnt seem like the 2 wheels could possibly be spinning at the same rate.
its a retarded question but im curious

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Kevskate99

Dumb question

Post by Kevskate99 »

All cars are either 1 wheel drive(front or rear) or four/three/two wheel drive(allwheeldrive/4x4/4x4). I don't have much time to explain but, your car will only spin the tire that is easiest to spin(which doesn't make sense) because if you get your pass. side tires stuck in the snow and ice and the drivers side is on pavement the tires in the snow will spin instead of the tires on the pavement.

BerettaSS

Dumb question

Post by BerettaSS »

Basically what Kev is trying to say is that Berettas (Like most cars) do not have a positraction differential.  It is a common misconception that the two drive shafts that feed the front (or rear) wheels of a car are directly linked to each other.  Only one of the two front wheels will receive the majority of the engines power.  If you were to jack up the front end of the Beretta, start the car, and put it in gear you would see the passenger side wheel spin normally and the driver’s side tire would actually spin backwords.  A positraction differential will allow power to be transferred to the opposite wheel when the primary drive wheel looses traction.  So, in your snow scenario, once the passenger side wheel began slipping the differential would have started the driver’s side wheel turning to compensate for the lack of traction on the passenger side. ÂÂÂ

Go here for more information.
Link

Oh, and this really isn't a dumb question, most people have no idea that this happens.

Canada

Dumb question

Post by Canada »

We have an open differental.....its cheaper to produce than a LSD (limited slip differental).

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

Dumb question

Post by Guest »

whats the LSD besides just the Limited slip, what does it do, my parents car if your in snow or whatever and you gun the gas the car seems to shake/ vibrate  i did this just messing around not expecting it and it scared the **** out of me, ive never seen a car do that before. all the suspension,ball joints, rods all that stuff is just about new just wondering what that meant?

woody90gtz

Dumb question

Post by woody90gtz »

aight guys thanks, that actually helps out alot. its kinda gay how that works but ill have to deal with it. that explains the tire waer too, since ive a "couple" good burnouts since i got the z.  
so maybe i should just drive around my dads posi-trac 66 chevelle around in the winter.... nah....
it would be nice through, seeing how my driveway is so fckin steep

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube

Dumb question

Post by Guest »

mantapart sells a LSD for the GTZ.

OP 1421A Sports Limited Slip Differential Unit: This is an Auburn style spring/clutch limited slip unit that is built into a standard differential center section. This unit fits all Getrag/Munice 5 speed HM 282 transaxles.

OP 1421A   $750.00

RebelGT

Dumb question

Post by RebelGT »

if you the car starts to vibrate when there is no traction, thats probaly "traction control" which works in different ways depending on the system, but usually it applies brake pressure to the side that is spinning from what i understand.

Dumb question

Post by Guest »

Heheheh....you could just buy a Sentra SE-R....they come with a nice LSD factory

Dumb question

Post by Guest »

or it could be wheel hop BAD for tranz