Help with 96 guage cluster swap

Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Guest »

i recencently swapped my std 96 cluster to an upgraded 95 cluster they are both for l body and obdII, I changed the oil pressure sensor and all gauges work except for the tach. from what i can tell from the chilton's manual on 96 3100 the tach signal wire goung to the gauge cluster should be white, and either from the PCM of the DIS. the wire in my car is purple?
has anyone performed this swap on a 96 , maybe the tach is bad? or does anyone know f the tach signal to the dash is a digital sig, pulsing grnd, +, ect.... I tested for the above with a DVM and found nothing> Help    

Canada

Post by Canada »

Are you positive the donor car was OBD-II? Because mine came from a 96 and worked just fine.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

Post by Guest »

ya, its definately obdII

Post by Guest »

Like Canada said it should work fine.

Are you near Montreal? If you are then you can come over and we can swap and see, it takes so little time.

Post by Guest »

See Chris, the mod of this setion, he started a topic about this sometime ago. If memory serves me correctly, something is different or didn't work right between a 95 and a 96 cluster.

Post by Guest »

i get the mitchell on demand system for automotive repairs and the wiring diagram for the 95 corsica/beretta has a white wire from the ignition module on terminal C to the gauge cluster for tach signal. The 96 doesnt, im going to assume i need to add a wire from the ignition module terminal c to tach and see if the cluster works. ill keep you posted

Post by Guest »

Moved

wht96

Post by wht96 »

i did the same thing and really want to get this puppy to work. what was the update does anyone know where this was "moved" to

6r8ph1X

Post by 6r8ph1X »

If anyone hasn't figured it out already, if you have a 96 and you are upgrading to an older than 96 cluster, you need to take the wire from pin 9 on your ECM and pull it through the fire wall, into the engine compartment. Next, look for the 6 pin connector on your your coil packs. This is your ICM plug. Take the little rubber plug out of pin "C" on your ICM plug, and either get a pin out of a donor ICM plug from the junk yard or somewhere else and connect that wire you pulled out to the pin and put it into pin "C" of the ICM plug. This SHOULD be how you get the tach to work if it is not a 96 cluster. This is all explained in the Obd2 swap guide on bstuff.com. I just tried to simplify it, the original guide was alittle more confusing.

good luck!

1993 Beretta GT, FX Designs Body Kit, Ram Air hood, 3.1 MPFI 3 Speed, 90,000 miles
1996 Beretta Base, GTU conversion, 3400sfi with less than 100,000 miles   ==  Traded
steve3408

Post by steve3408 »

Isnt 1995 actually a OBD I (sort of OBD  I 1/2)?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yeah... whats your point though?

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"