Digital EGR

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
Wanako

Digital EGR

Post by Wanako »

I'm going to be doing an engine swap soon from a 2.8 to 3.1 MPFI, my 2.8 has the vacuum EGR, and the 3.1 MPFI has the Digital EGR. I know I need to get a chip that runs this, I'll be getting that from Ben at WOT-TECH, but do I need anything else? My question is, is the EGR connector different from the Vacuum to the Digital? Can I keep the same connector or do I need to splice in a new pigtail to connect to the Digital EGR? Thanks.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Digital EGR

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I thought the mounting point was exactly the same on the intake... If it is that means you just use your original vac EGR... Don't get a special chip for the digital one because with the VAC one I think you can even remove that and never end up with a code. Granted being in CA you may have to have it there.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3400beretta

Post by 3400beretta »

There is no connector on the vacuum egr, it is just that - vacuum controlled. Now IIRC there should be a solenoid controlling if and when the egr gets vacuum, and that is controlled by the computer, and no that would not be interchangeable with the new digital egr plug. You are going to have to run some new wires from the ECM to the new egr to do this. I believe there are some other slight wiring variences when changing to the $A1 code (3.1).

I would just do as lil jon has stated - keep your existing vac operated egr.

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

You can also re-use the 2.8 upper intake if the EGR mounts differently.

Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

There is an electrical connector on the 2.8 EGR valve. And they do both bolt up similarly. The digital EGR uses an adapter plate. There's such a slight difference, even the 2.8 chip should be acceptable. Heck, my 3400 is still running on a 2.8 chip.

Cliff Scott