3.1 L BRAND NEW throttle body

List a Beretta Item for sale
beretta

Re: 3.1 L BRAND NEW throttle body

Post by beretta »

i found my 3400 TB. and yes the throttle plate is larger, i dont know if i can port the 3.1 TB out enough to fit that throttle plate in there, if i had a way of grinding down the throttle plate a little so its the same all the way around i could port the TB out some and make the throttle plate fit my hole .. that sounds wrong ... LOL

with a measuring tape the 3.1 L throttle plate is 2" 1/16th.. the 3400 throttle plate is 2" 7/32.

That would defiantly make a difference if i could make it fit in the 3.1 TB

this is how far it will go in with stock bore LOL, no where close to fitting...

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Oh man I thought there was more room. My 3.1 TB was lost with my car and I bought a 95 3100. Never looking back. Damn man I'm sorry! Will a 3100 plate fit that? Crap, must have been thinking of the 3400 plate in the 3100. I was always thinking about the main goal(to get the TCE TB). Never checked to see if the 3400 plate would fit in my many 3100 TB's. Just wanted a better flowing stock TB, waiting for the TCE to go on sale. Very sorry about this!
Never mind. The plates on my 3100's say 02582. Yours looks like it has the same number.
3400 TB is on the car. Next time I will check things out before opening my big mouth!

keep'em flying!
beretta

Post by beretta »

the throttle plate on the top the smaller one is from a 3100, same size diameter as the 3.1 L though. the throttle body im working with is for a 3.1 L not 3100. and the 3400 throttle plate is larger so im going to see if i can bore out the 3.1 TB for that plate to fit. i think i will end up putting a hole it it some where trying to go big enough, but im going to try right now a few hours of grinding and ill know if it fits or not LOL.

If i manage to grind enough to fit that plate in there without wrecking the TB it should work super good.

and the 3100 and 3400 TB dont have vacuum on it for all the lines on the 3.1 and it bolts on different, the mounting holes are opposite then the 3.1 L

beretta

Post by beretta »

well i got it to fit, i ported alot out of the center and then some, i dont think i can go much further so i stopped with the porting and worked on making the 3400 throttle plate fit. the throttle plate has cross grooves in it so i found the center using those lines and drilled a small hole which this will be covered by the rod that it goes onto anyways. i put it onto an attachment for my dremel and spun it full blast and stuck a piece of sand paper under it and ground it down until it fit snug into my ported throttle body.

its slightly larger then it was now and the throttle plate matched up perfect to it.

i did go through it in 1 spot where it starts to taper to the outside, so next time i know to be careful there but i can put a little jb weld on it, its just a slight hole where i went through, long as i get it plugged off wont be an issue.

will post some pics shortly once i finish assembling it

beretta

Post by beretta »

so i got it partially assembled now. the throttle plate is in but i need to thread lock the screws in the morning and seal up the tiny tiny little hole i put in the side and if i can find my 600 grit sandpaper i will wet sand the crap out of it and smooth it out a little more but its really not bad the way it is. also the top part where the vac lines hook up to i broke a screw that holds the idle sensor so ill swap the top plate with the one from my car. And the coolant lines i have by passed so i might make up a plate with some aluminum sheets i have just to cover that up or i may just leave it as is. those lines are a bugger to take off and put on so when i put the engine in i by passed them never were hooked up. besides i want cooler air anyways i dont want to warm it up.

I would say i have about 3mm larger throttle plate now, i had to grind down the 3400 throttle plate to fit my hole as i couldnt bore it any larger then i have, and i eliminated the lip where the throttle plate is so its ground out smooth all the way through and has a good tapper going in, i still havent tapered the out side lip i will do that tomorrow also. then its a matter of a final rinse to make sure its completely clean, and then get it on the car and go for a spin. i might need a 5 point harness just to hold me in my seat with this LMAO.. hahaha.

I never even thought about it until now.. my gf has a 99 lumina car with the 3100, i could have bolted the 3400 throttle body right on her car, i think i should slap a turbo on her car, its kinda like a grandma car. make a good sleeper, no one would expect it and it.

anyways.. more pictures..

beretta

Post by beretta »

ok so i put this together and got it on my car today.. and it idles weird... it jumps right up when its first started but then drops down to around 800 rpm and within a minute it revs up by itself to about 1500 and stays there till you hit the gas then drops back down.

when you drive around it just wants to keep going and revs higher sometimes 2000 to 2500 and takes a few minutes for it to idle down.

Theres a set screw to adjust the throttle plate for idle and i have it adjusted as low as it can go so the plate would be closed, i unhooked my battery so the ecm would reset and still does weird things. maybe it needs to be tuned for little very little extra air it would get from my ported TB.

Should it not learn the idle on its own ? im thinking about putting my old polished TB back on.

It does seem to have a little more power in the lower revs though.

ronaconda

Post by ronaconda »

Back on topic...bought one...shipped today, 2/11

beretta

Post by beretta »

sweet, i seen the guy re listed 1 but was listed as a 92-94 or something but was the same TB. that member has all kinds of brand new parts, alternators, power steering pumps, engine blocks all kinds of anything and everything and cheap..

Money pit Beretta

Nice work on the body. Looks like the plate is off center. I know that it has to be hard to do. I'd put some washers on the plate screws if you can. The old holes are making pockets for the incoming air.

keep'em flying!
beretta

Post by beretta »

Nice work on the body. Looks like the plate is off center. I know that it has to be hard to do. I'd put some washers on the plate screws if you can. The old holes are making pockets for the incoming air......

Yeah the screws that hold in the 3400 throttle plate in the 3400 TB are larger and have a tapered head, the threads were too big to fit into the 3.1 L TB so i had to turn it a little so they wouldnt pull through..

thats a 2.8 TB and it was idling all weird and it though becuase inside the bore it has 2 small holes near the throttle plate, the 3.1 L one has 1 hole there. so i canceled further mods to the 2.8 one and took the one off my car and bored it with a engine hone to fit the throttle plate i made up.

And i did use washers on this one.. that was kind of just a mock up and just had to find washers small enough to work.

Money pit Beretta

Cool man.
Does the hone load up bad? Guess you can always change stones as needed.

keep'em flying!
beretta

Post by beretta »

THIS TOPIC CAN BE DELETED if any of the mods see this.. i dont think it needs to be here any more lol..