Hud <-heads up display

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
Jeff P

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Jeff P »

I ran into the same problem when I was researching it.  I've had a HUD from a 1993 Grand Prix STE for a couple years now, and all the wiring matches up, but one of the problems I ran into was the ghost image.  A Corvette movie I have mentions the "anti-lacerative layer" they apply to the windshield, but doesn't give any specifics on what it is made of.  Someone suggested using a layer of tint (as you also mentioned).  I called a leading manufacturer of HUDs for aircraft (including multi-color HUDs) and thus far haven't been able to reach a technician, and they have only once returned my calls.  I have also searched for the HUD glass from jets, but they never seem to show up on eBay anymore   So your guess is as good as mine, Chris.  If you need any help or just a test vehicle, let me know!

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
HateMyAuto

Hud <-heads up display

Post by HateMyAuto »

In aircraft the HUD is projected onto either one or two panes of glass inside the cockpit. Try putting a piece of glass between the windshield and the projector. See how that fares.

'96 Z26 Now with 10% more displacement
'94 Camaro
Jeff P

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Jeff P »

I was doing another eBay search and the Kenwood KPA-HD100 Car HUD system has a HUD lense that could be used for this application also.  I just think a separate lense would be an eyesore.  Here's a pic:

Thanks for the input, Matt

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
Chris88CL

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Chris88CL »

If I can get it working in the 91, I'll just live with the ghost image.  I really dont care that much.  It'll still be cool.

Jeff P

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Jeff P »

So true

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
ErichZ26

Hud <-heads up display

Post by ErichZ26 »

Jeff, How did you get the GP HUD to work in your car?    I could not get it and my dash trimmed down enough to get it installed.   The cluster was a bit higher than anticipated.

The glare gaurd has similar characteristics to anti glare on eye glass applications.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
Jeff P

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Jeff P »

Hey Erich,

Sorry, I should've been more clear above.  I've had the HUD for a couple years, but have never installed it because of clearance.  The wiring is there, but the HUD isn't.  Also have the wiring for the really cool trip computer, but need to fiberglass a console to make it fit  It will be a while.  But back to the HUD....I saw a picture a while back of a Cutlass HUD.  It looks like there were a couple of different ones, but one was thinner than the other.  When I can, I'll search for the thinner one because it should fit.  What are your thoughts on this?  You may be more familiar with Cutlass HUDs than I am.

Good info on the anti-glare on glasses.  I didn't know about that.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
Jeff P

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Jeff P »

Just found an article that gets more specific on the windshield layer.  Here's a brief quote:
Quote Today, the company has improved the optics by placing a polyvinyl butrate film, about the thickness of a plastic garbage bag, between the glass layers of the windshield. The film, GM said, provides better overlap of the images projected.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
ErichZ26

Hud <-heads up display

Post by ErichZ26 »

What i did was to take the 91-96 cluster shroud and cut the top off to fit a GP/Cutlass GEN 1 or GEN 2 HUD, neither worked and i could not cut the HUD to make it work.     Another suggestion that MAY work is to use a Nissan, Altima, 240SX, or Maxima HUD bezel and display.     I am not sure on the resverse reflection on those compared to GM's mirror style.

You following me here?  Have yo seen the nissan's with HUD?

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
Jeff P

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Jeff P »

Neither one worked, huh?  I had considered the 240SX HUD too, and have e-mailed a couple of eBay sellers about them, but have never researched any further than that.  How is reverse reflection different from GM's mirror style?

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
HateMyAuto

Hud <-heads up display

Post by HateMyAuto »

I don't suppose there is any way you could get a different bulb for the actual projector? Possibly one that shines brighter? Or one that projects a darker color?

'96 Z26 Now with 10% more displacement
'94 Camaro

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Guest »

Iwould like to know more about the HUD when you find out about it.

wil_wil2

Hud <-heads up display

Post by wil_wil2 »

In order to achieve a brighter clearer image, and reduce the "ghosting effect" you will need to adjust the angle of the projector to match the contour of the specific window.  Also clear decal matting applied to the area of the window being used to project the image will enhance the forementioned.  
Researching the HUD on jets will not help any since they use a type of polarized glass, and is generally projected from within the pane rather than on it, I have been down this line before.  What really helps is learing about 'trajectory of light'.

Jeff P

Hud <-heads up display

Post by Jeff P »

Angling the HUD up or down is no problem.  Angling it side-to-side (where curvature really comes into play) creates some issues.  I think for the time being (until I learn to fiberglass, anyway) I'll live with the slightly skewed image and minor ghosting That's true about aircraft HUDs, I hadn't thought about that.  I was in a 737 with a fold-down HUD which definitely wouldn't work with a standard projector, heh.  I always wondered how exactly they did it with the fixed glass in fighters.  Good information, William

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
Jeff P

Re: Hud <-heads up display

Post by Jeff P »

For lack of recent discussion and for those interested, here are some pictures of a '93 Grand Prix HUD being tested in my Beretta (mentioned earlier, but not pictured). Notice the slanting issue and the slight (although really not bad in person!) ghosting of the image. Pics are 1024x768, so I'm linking them rather than posting them.

Bench Test
Bench Test
Test Fit In Car
Test Fit In Car
Projected Image From Driver's Seat
Projected Image Closeup

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned: