The Aqua '94 Z

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: The New Aqua 94 Z

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Well the base muffler will fit but the tips will not exist on it anymore... Also probably the only muffler you can get that will resemble a z26 muffler is one from a older GT if your looking for the dual tips out of the box.

No on sells an exact replacement regarding the tips, you would have to find an aftermarket set that looks similar then weld it on... unless your's can still be re-used

Also a stock Z26 muffler is single outlet it just has the Y tip on it.

So you could get the Walker SoundFX muffler for the base model and re-weld your stock tips on the outlet of that. The SoundFX version has "Favorable Sound Quality" whatever that means.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

I plan on re-using the stock tip. The problem I'm finding is that the base mufflers all seem to have a bent tail pipe. I need one with a straight tail pipe, so I can have my tip put back on it. The 96 has a replacement muffler on it, and still has the stock tips. I have no idea where the previous owner got the muffler from. I did find one at a local parts store, it is AP brand, says direct fit, and it comes with no tail pipe. I'd have to buy the tail pipe seprate, and have it put on along with my tip. Probably the way I'm gonna go, still searching though.

1994 AQUA ZED
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

There is an AP listing for a 96 and 94 Z26 on Rock auto without the tip, 96 has two options though... As noted 94-96 are all the same no idea why some companies don't recognize that.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

The AP listing on Rockauto for the 94 is the same part # as the one I found at a local parts store, but in their system it says exc. Z26 model, and on rockauto it dosn't specify whether it is for a base or Z26. Either way, the local store has a few locations, with at least 1 in stock at each store, so I'll probably be going with that. The thing is though, the base models with the 3100's sound different than the 96 Z sounds. The Z has a nice, quiet and deep rumble to it, and the bases just sound like any other 3100 car. I want the right sound. Hopefully the AP one is right.

1994 AQUA ZED
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

There were two version of the AP listed for the 94... Your guess is as good as anyone's as to which one will sound similar.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Still driving this everyday, no problems yet. I've put about 1500 miles on it so far. It's due for inspection at the end of the month, and I'm still without a proper muffler. I found out that the AP brand one I was looking at will work, but the outlet is centered. The stock muffler on the car has an offset outlet a bit to the left, so the tip comes out under the cutout in the rear bumper. Just figuerd I'd update this, and let you guys know about the muffler situation. I did find an OEM replacement muffler, with a tip included, at a dealer in MI. but it'll come to $299.00 to my door, and thats just not happening. Oh and they only have one left.

1994 AQUA ZED
berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

get a flowmaster or something decent if you are going to spend that much... i forget which one i put on my car, but it was "barely" used off of some guy's weekend muscle car... i paid $20, and it's a "turbo" something or other... sounds good, great construction, looked like it would last longer than the walker aluminized cheap mufflers from most stores... there is some wiggle room there for other mufflers, but i can't recall which i have... i suspect a side offset outlet. (single outlet, and i welded the stock tip on, with a small filler pipe in between i think i needed...)

Edit: here's a pic! So, don't mind the crustiness... looks a bit better after i cleaned it up and painted/undercoated after the trailer hitch install. i'm pretty sure it is an offset inlet, and then center outlet. and you can see the added filler pipe between muffler and stock "Y" to tips
Attachments
20121018_142545sm.jpg

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

On the topic of 94-96 Z26 muffler/tip setups...

Interestingly enough, the part numbers between all 3 model years is different; FOR THE SAME PART.

I imagine that since the 3100 was new for the time, GM was trying to find the right tone or something like that...

Factory muffler/tip setups are available, but as stated, they are ~$200.

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Just get a Magnaflow. The Flowmaster on my 90GT was too loud.

keep'em flying!
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

When the 96 is done in the shop, I'll be taking this for a pre inspection. This will be the first time I get to have it in the air, and I'll take plenty of pics. I was under it when I bought it, but I just kinda crawled under the ass end of it.
I'll figure something out for a muffler, and I dont want it to be loud at all. I want it to be quiet and deep like the 96 is.
On another note, I know it needs struts, maybe for inspection, I don't know. I found correct replacement struts for Z26's on rock auto finnaly. I also located the same parts at autozone! They are Gabriel brand, and they say they are for Z26 suspension, no more of this "base model only" crap! They're resonably priced too, like $65 each or something.
:EDIT:
Was just looking at the strut listings, and they say FE7 suspension. I thought it was FE3 in this car? Heres what I'm looking at. Can someone confirm this is correct please?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 7243_1759_

1994 AQUA ZED
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Gonna get this thing in the air later today, and have a pre inspection done. I'll take pics, and post em when I can. IT'S DIRTY! Both of em are, car wash for both on sunday! Gonna be 60 degrees!

1994 AQUA ZED
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I had a free Flowmaster 40 on my 3400 for about a month. Didn't like it from the day it went on. I liked the Borla bullet when my car was auto, but it was still pretty damn loud. Got pulled over for loud exhaust a lot. I have a Dynomax VT on now. Idles and cruises as quiet as stock, but is just as loud as the Borla at WOT. Win/win.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Clean underneath! 1 spot just a above the rear drivers side spring. nothing major at all. A bit cleaner than the red Z. Swap worthy! No pics, forgot the damn camera. Rockers are.... MINT! Needs 2 front tires for inspection. Oil pan gasket needed soon. Very pleased with my purchase!
Last edited by 2.2H8TA on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1994 AQUA ZED
DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

Which tip is this?

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT