Supercharged beretta v6 dynoed

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?

Post by Guest »

Quote (Norm 88GT @ April 28 2004,07:31)DynoMax Super Turbo.  I have used them the last couple of times.  Good tone, flow, and good price. ÂÂÂ
Since you have forced induction, my advice is to switch to a Dynomax Ultraflow/Race Magnum.

They flow better (almost twice as well), are still priced reasonably and not very much louder (and if you want to tone them down a little more just add a perforated core glasspack as a resonator).

Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

Bigbuls, when I had '99 Regal GS(3800SC) with pulley, TB, no cat, we dropped the exhaust on the dyno and gained 20whp.  This was before headers were offered.  We put two 18" Ultra flows, a glass pack, and a DynoMax Super Turbo all in 3" to tune the exhaust note of the 90 degree V6.  No luck as it resonated, loud, and very heavy.  

I still have have the Ultra flows and have put it on in the fall.  It was way too loud compared to the DynoMax Super Turbo.  Even with the even fire of the 60 degree V6 versus 90 V6.

I just welded up the exhaust to a took it for a ride.  2.5" mandrel bent from the down tube through the muffler with a 3" tip.  It cackles a little bit but should be ok for the daily commute.

Hardest part was getting 2.5" piping past the axle without hitting the gas tank.  

Give me a day or two on the laptop and I'll give some more feed back and some pics.

Norm -
'88 GT => V8 - http://www.beretta.net/board/ib3/ikonbo ... ;f=9;t=261
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

You should try getting 2.5 inch past the newer gas tank...:p

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

Anything could be done.  If I had contact because the 45 degree bend was not enough I was going to cut up one and reweld it to make around 60 degree.  The 45 degree was enough though.  For the apporoximately 120 degree bend with the two gallon larger tank I'd look at a 180 and disect it from there.

Norm -
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

If you pick up a copy of the latest GM High Tech Performance they install and review a F.A.S.T. programmable ECU similar to the one I am using.  About the only thing different is I am using DOS(most agree it is better than the windows version), I don't use eDist for the coil-on-plug ignition that the LS1 uses, and they agree it is the "glue" that holds the package together when the mods start.  Sorry, no link the article but they do have a nice CTS with over 400whp that runs 11s.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/toc/

I have been using the Walboro 255 lhp fuel pump and 2.5" mandrel exhaust for about a week now.  Torque delivery is smoother and broader through the RPM band.  The transition from a nice torque curve to horsepower is much more seamless than before.  The exhaust tone and volume is about right noticeable but it does not resonate.  Boost is down slightly due to the lowering of back pressure.  Which is good for the hp that the blower consumes.  I have recieved compliments from a few at work saying they like the note.  

I have not seen any change in injector duty cycle with the new pump below 5K rpms.  I might see a change after that but have not had the chance to rev it that high.

I am schedule for Saturday dyno...stayed tuned.

Norm -
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

I-GOT-BOOST

Post by I-GOT-BOOST »

Quote (Norm 88GT @ May 05 2004,10:35)I am schedule for Saturday dyno...stayed tuned.
Good luck Norm. Go lay down some big numbers!

Quote of the week:

"A cam is only too big if it won't go into the block, and a turbo is only too big if you can't close the hood."
rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Sweet deal..

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

I was making more power and torque through 3500 rpms but would loose power and torque after that.  Then on the third run I had no boost(Actually made 117whp...just like stock!).  The internal belt on the Powerdyne let go. ÂÂÂ

This explain why I would make up to 10 ft. lbs. and 5 hp more than last time and then it would flatten out to mirror the last dyno until the top end where it would drop off. ÂÂÂ I made 3 more peak ft. lbs. and 5 less peak hp than previous outing.  

The end of the second run it dropped almost 1 psi.  I think the belt went then.  The belt had 12K miles on it.  The bearing are a bit noisy and will be replacing them at the same time.  There are 40K miles on the bearings.  

Boost was down about 1 psi. ÂÂÂ With the 2.0" Midas exhaust/cat gone a 2.5" with no cat in it's place I figured the boost drop was due to the lack of back pressure which is good. ÂÂÂ The new Walboro 255lph held me below 80% duty cycle on the injectors. ÂÂÂ But boost and DC  might be because I was not able to make the same power as one month ago when I dynoed.

I did take a few pics of the 2.5" exhuast that I recently installed:

Norm -
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

z284pwr

Post by z284pwr »

Out of curiosity, what were the numbers on your third run with NO boost?  117 WHP?  Do you have RPMs and TQ from that run?  I'm curious to see what it was.....no reason why

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

No, I don't have any info on that run.  12.5:1 and 27 degrees of advance sucking through free flowing SC, 2.5" tubing to IC, through IC, and through 2.25" tubing to the TB I thought was pretty good.  I think my VE is down around 70% at peak torque as opposed to upper 90s.  Even in NA tune it is still peppy...just got to plan ahead.  

Norm -
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

Whats up with the red things inside of the springs on the rear end.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
z284pwr

Post by z284pwr »

Quote (bonecrrusher @ May 13 2004,16:31)Whats up with the red things inside of the springs on the rear end.

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
lugnutz

Post by lugnutz »

Quote (bonecrrusher @ May 13 2004,15:31)Whats up with the red things inside of the springs on the rear end.
Air bags

Bnet member #21
'91 3.1 5spd --- SOLD
'04 GTO 6spd
Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

I recieved and am installing the new sc belt and bearings.  Thought the pics would be interesting as most, including myself, have not seen the inside.

Pic of what is left of the belt next to the new one.  The after the belt let go I probably drove 100 miles before removing the sc.  There were still some belt remaining that gave evidence that the cogs on the belt just wore away.

Kopressor:

Compressor wheel housing:

Norm -
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

Post by Guest »

Nice...........:D