Trans swap interchange

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
StevenJMcTowlie

Re: Trans swap interchange

Post by StevenJMcTowlie »

I payed close attention today to where the clutch was disengaging and its close to the floor. When I let the clutch out it catches almost immediately.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Sounds like it needs to be bled.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
StevenJMcTowlie

I pulled the slave off the trans, I think my slave is just shot.
Pics:

Once I replace it, am I pushing the rod on the slave or in the car at the pedal to get the air out?
Last edited by StevenJMcTowlie on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

The rod on the slave. I put the slave rod on the trans in a little dimple and then pump the slave housing. Saves the palm of your hand from getting beat up.

Unhook the pedal before you do it, because it gives the fluid a path back to the reservoir. And if you have a brain fart and push the pedal without the slave installed (compressed) it will blow it out.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
StevenJMcTowlie

Thats what I figured. I have to wait till tomorrow to get a new slave so I guess thats as far as I go today. I also noticed that the end of the slave rod where it goes into the trans has different notches on the tip, can this only go into the trans one way?

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

yes they only go in one way and if u need a clutch master i have a brand new napa one ill never use since my car is internal slave and has a different master from my 91 i have had

StevenJMcTowlie

My clutch fluid is really dirty. It is far from clear. I want to flush all the old fluid out before I put the new slave on. What is the best way to clear out all the old fluid ? I can pull the whole system out and bench bleed it if need be, I just dont understand how to get the old fluid out.

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

thats ur best bet to clean it out and if u interested woody knows how to make braided line for it, i put one in my car, with stg3 clutch n feels like a stock clutch too.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Yeah, I have part numbers in my build thread. I'll take a look through. I highly recommend the braided line if you are going to beat on it. The stock slave line has a restriction that slips the clutch a little bit on shifts to make it smoother and a little easier on the drivetrain. I actually smoked a stage 2 clutch beating it at the strip because of the stock line. With the braided line it is a little jerkier on shifts until you get used to it, but I pounded it at the strip without any clutch issues. It actually made the pedal a little lighter too.

To replace the line you just punch out the pins on the master and slave and remove the line. Then you can drain all the old fluid easily. Then install the new line and press the pins back in. Earl's sells pinlock fittings that convert to AN, and then you just need an AN line with a 90 on the end.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
StevenJMcTowlie

woody90gtz wrote: Earl's sells pinlock fittings that convert to AN, and then you just need an AN line with a 90 on the end.
I found that in your thread and think I'm going to go that route. Thanks for all the help. I am just going to overhaul the clutch. New clutch, throwout bearing, flywheel, master/slave/line. Once I have all the parts I will just do it all at once. New slave came in today and hopefully the rest will be here this weekend.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
themixer

Post by themixer »

thats a sweet braided line setup!