Supercharged beretta v6 dynoed

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

I asked the guy who has been teaching me lately, and heres the response I got.
If all other variables other than speed remain constant, then it would
likely be intercooler efficiency responsible for a difference in fuel
demand.
Lower air charge temp equates to a higher air charge density which yields an
increase in volumetric efficiency.
If the IAT sensor is positioned to measure charge temperature (between the
intercooler and throttle body) then some adjustment using this data could be
possible.  Not sure if the Haltech would have the code and tables required
to influence injector pulse width based on IAT data.  All newer GM code
(TGP, SY/TY, etc) provides this functionality.  The "FUEL - BASE PULSE
INVERSE INLETTMP TERM VS INLETTMP" table is used to adjust the factor
applied to base pulse width based on IAT temp.

Hopefully that helps.  Im not sure what maps and tables your software has or allows you to edit with the haltech, so the last part may not apply.

z284pwr

Post by z284pwr »

Uh, Chris, I believe I'm the only one here with a Haltech, well, Adam has one, but thats not the point.......Rex has Tec-II and Norm has F.A.S.T.

Anyways, Haltech only allows for adjustment of IAT and doesn't have any pre/post intercooler adjustment, or atleast that I am aware of.

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

I can adjust for IAT on the TEC.  I have an adjustment in there, but I'm sure it's not perfect.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

Quote (z284pwr @ June 16 2004,21:58)Uh, Chris, I believe I'm the only one here with a Haltech, well, Adam has one, but thats not the point.......Rex has Tec-II and Norm has F.A.S.T.

Anyways, Haltech only allows for adjustment of IAT and doesn't have any pre/post intercooler adjustment, or atleast that I am aware of.
Oh ya, I keep forgetting that.  ;)

Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

Here is an update as my car just returned to the road since going under the knife since May for a new clutch.  Pictures below with text.  Clutchnet.com sent a pressure plate for a Muncie.  But it might have been for a Fiero or something as it was too tall and would contact the housing.  Replacing the clutch we found the trans. seal was leaking causing the clutch to slip.  The seal, after almost 17 years, would not come out.  The local shop tried freezing it and it would not budge.  Off to the trans. shop. where they overhauled the tranny and replaced the differential bearing which was on it's way out.  When the car was ready I was on vacation for two weeks.  Finally two months later and with the new blower on I have about 100 miles on the clutch.  The clutch movement is nice and light.  Initially the engagement was very soft.  But I can feel the material starting to bed and uptake starting to be more brisk.

One of the needle bearings in differential was starting to go at 229,000 miles.  

Bearing race.  About half the life of the tranny I used Redline MTL.

Both the inner and outer race, along with the bearings, were pitting.  The bearing was pitted more than the races.  Both outer races have Timken stamped on them.  Other than a few autocrosses and a half dozen roadcourse events most of the time the car is on the highway going to work.  There have been a number of high speed run like spring break where we would cruise at around 100 MPH for hours.  I think this might have been the bearings downfall.

The O.E. replacement LUK clutch was holding it's own for the last 60,000 miles.  

Pressure plate got a little blue.  This might have been a result of the trans. seal that was leaking, allowing the clutch to slip in lower gears.

One of the delays was that Clutchnet sent the wrong pressure plate for the Muncie trans.  Notice the difference in height between the stock one.  The trans. casing would barely close up on it.

Norm -
'88 GT => V8 - http://www.beretta.net/board/ib3/ikonbo ... ;f=9;t=261
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Ready for more soon!

Rex Weatherford

Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

Some have asked about seeing under the hood pictures.  I don't have many as it is in a constant state of change.  Here is a few:

Norm -
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

Norm -
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

Post by Guest »

That looks nicccce....  

TeamZGTZ

Post by TeamZGTZ »

I see alot of my department under your hood. Home depot.

Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

Yeah, maybe I could get sponsored.  

Norm -
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

z284pwr

Post by z284pwr »

Hey Norm, I'm curious, what are the demensions of your intercooler there if you know them?  I see you have mounted it at an angle, think you could give me any info on how you mounted it?

Oh and where exactly is the air filter on this unit?  I'm not seeing one?  is it down under by the trans or does it not require one?

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Look by the firewall behind the SC on the first picture.  Cone filter.

Rex Weatherford

Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

Rex is right about the filter.  That is why I use a WRX scoop.  

The intercooler is an Isuzu NPR.  Not sure of the dimensions but do a quick search on ebay and you'll find them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....me=WDVW

It has compared well with a few others:

http://home.earthlink.net/~turbogus2/intercoolers.html

Norm -
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

Skip the update if you want details on chasing motorcycles.  The and newly updated trans. And clutch are running fine with about 4000 miles since installed.  I do have a slow oil leak and am pretty sure it is the rear main seal leaking and an open iginition wire somewhere that when driving through the heaviest rains it causes the tack to drop intermittently.  I did have a problem with the ign. Control module that I just replaced in Feb. cutting the ign. Anything above 3500 RPMS.  A new ign module solved that but when very wet it acts up again.  That one has got me confused…but it runs.  With the Beretta being down about 2 months this past summer I really like driving it, so much I don’t want to break it by going to the drag strip or road course as I have done in the past.  I guess I’ll save it for the next BerettaFest.  ÃƒÆ’ƒÂ¯Ã‚Å 

The race of all races…racing motorcycles.  I was on my way to a buddy’s in Akron  when a sport bike came flying up behind me off an onramp and then slowed, rolled past as we got into 3-lane cement divided highway where he laid down on his gas tank and took off again.  I was approaching my exit but decided to pursue the bike following behind him up to over 100 MPH for a half a mile or so he slowed and sat up.  I think he might have caught me in his mirror and twisted his neck around to make sure I was not the police.  The road opened and he was accelerating to speed again until traffic slowed him down.  Then impaitiently split traffic and a took off again.  

So I decided to turn around as I was 5 minutes from the time I told my buddy I was arrive and as I exited the motorcylist was at the bottom of the exit and was doing the same thing I was.  This time he saw me following him but I was a couple hundred feet behind and when on the return entrance ramp got a good jump on him and was probably doing 100 MPH by the bottom when he merged out onto the highway.  He pulled away strongly to about 110-120 MPH but stopped pulling away to well over 130+(speedo numbers stop at 120).  He got off of the throttle and looked in his review mirror there I was(this time with my headlights on so he could better see me through his vibrating mirrors).  

When traffic cleared he took off again but this time a Audi A4 cut off the open lane.  I was thinking get this A4 1.8t out of the way.  The A4 took off pretty fast but already had mommentum on him as he moved to lane three and noticed it was a B6 S4.  The bike was in lane one and the S4 moved to lane two as we slowed to about 80-90 when the bike came up behind up in typical ricer flyby fashion.  I was behind the S4 and hit the go-pedal before the bike past us on the left.  It took a little time to reel the S4 in but caught a little draft off the S4 and was surprised to see the driver’s look of anguish as I passed him like he was standing still.  He was never a threat in catching me, nor the bike as we went back up to 120+ again when the bike got out of it in traffic again.  The S4 stayed back this time.

The motorcyclist then popped a wheelie next to me and I put it in 4th to get around him for the next exit as I passed my buddy’s exit for the 2nd time.  The bike was no challenge on one wheel.  ÃƒÆ’ƒÂ¯Ã‚Å   I gave him thumbs up when he passed and he returned it.

I looked up some C&D articles on the S4 and trap speeds are 102-103 MPH in the quarter mile.  I rolled right past him(about 100 MPH) and he never posed a threat in matching my speed, twice.  I have also had one try to follow me a few months ago when I shifted down to 4th gear and left him.  I guess my trap speed in 5th gear would be around 105 –106 MPH..  This is backed by messing with a LS1 Camaro a few months ago with a very loud exhaust.  We were pretty even from 70-90 MPH.  Yeah, 5th gear…  I never shifted down the whole time racing the bike or the S4.  With a 4th gear run it would definitely have been a different story in getting around the S4.  The bike is just plain fast up to 120ish where the lack of torque when shifting to higher gears and poor aerodynamics at higher speeds slow it’s acceleration down to match an almost 300hp, 2700 lbs. car.  So my theory is  ending  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚¼ mile at peak horsepower around 5000-5300 RPMs and  a nice sub 2.0 60ft short time should yield 106-108 MPH trap speeds.

This is all on engine that is not designed for boost but with careful, conservative tuning can be quite fun as a daily driver.  I pulled the spark plugs this past weekend and noticed quite a bit of carbon build up around the thread area leading up to the ground electrode.  So I advanced the timing from 25 to 27 degrees.  During the first high speed run with the bike I blew most of the carbon out leaving a nice black plum on the highway.  I took a look at two front plugs today and there was still carbon build up but you could tell which side was facing the piston as there was just a thin layer of carbon.  Sparkplugs are a good eye into the engine to see what is going on.

Keep the shining side up!

Norm -
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged