need help with my clutch

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...

need help with my clutch

Post by Guest »

I had just bought a 88 beretta base, with a 5 spd trans, and 160000+ miles on it. I was told that the slave cylinder was bad and needed replaced. well, i got one and replaced it and it still won't move. I have bled the line several times and i got good pressure in the peddle. I can get it to creep along if i put it in gear and rev the engine to almost redline... does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with my beretta? ÂÂÂ

need help with my clutch

Post by Guest »

sounds like the clutch is worn to bits. it wouldn't suprise me since the car has 160,000 miles on it. my beretta needed a new clutch at 70,000 miles. its just a wild guess.

rweatherford

need help with my clutch

Post by rweatherford »

So what was it like before it quit working?  There are not many reasons that a clutch will not engage.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

90_Black_GTZ

need help with my clutch

Post by 90_Black_GTZ »

I agree.  The master/slave on the clutch helps it disengage.  That is normally what you replace the slave cylinder for, issues with disengaging.  I would go with replacing the clutch.

90 Black GTZ (I am the original owner since May 5, 1990)
187,000 miles

need help with my clutch

Post by Guest »

I plan on doing a clutch replacement this weekend. I just orderd it today and it will be here tomorrow sometime.
As far as I know about how it was before it stopped working, I was told it was working fine and then just stopped. I replaced the slave and for some strange reason after I bled the line and get presure in the peddel I end up loosing the presure after it sits a little bit.
I think I might have something in the line that is not letting it bleed right or somthing. do you guys have any idea what would cause me to loose all my presure in my clutch?

Chazzman

need help with my clutch

Post by Chazzman »

I had the exact problem with my '90 GTZ.  When I bought it the guy I got it from thought it needed a clutch.  Well , in my case it turned out to be a clutch fork that had seized up in the bellhousing pivot bearings  and just smoked the throw-out bearing and clutch assembly.   I hope thats not your porblem however since thats a very expensive repair.

'92 GT-Z 3.1L 5spd lot's of GO FAST stuff  

need help with my clutch

Post by Guest »

(Chazzman @ Dec. 16 2005,23:46)Q
U
O
T
EI had the exact problem with my '90 GTZ.  When I bought it the guy I got it from thought it needed a clutch.  Well , in my case it turned out to be a clutch fork that had seized up in the bellhousing pivot bearings  and just smoked the throw-out bearing and clutch assembly.  I hope thats not your porblem however since thats a very expensive repair.
yeah, me too. how ever when I do get presure in the clutch I can see the slave move the gizmo that it pushes... I think that is the fork. So I don't think that the fork is seized up. I will find out when I tear into the tranny to replace my clutch this weekend.

need help with my clutch

Post by Guest »

make sure to have flywheel resurfaced for a total clutch repair.