motor problem!

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
SuzukiGhostRider

motor problem!

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

And you know the Cat is not clogged becuase? Have you cut the pipe off and looked in it? Just because the car runs doesn't mean the Cat isn't clogged. Timing is possible Money, but from Duke's description I'm doubting it. It would miss all the time, not just under load.

Duke 3D

motor problem!

Post by Duke 3D »

i know the cat is not clogged because the exhaust is broke in front of the cat . basicly i can pop it apart and look. i still think its the motor. can you give me detailed description on cheking the compression with out taking the motor apart.

Duke 3D
Money pit Beretta

motor problem!

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Well, what I'm talking about on the the timing is that the chain may have slipped. That would knock the timing off so bad that it may start, but not run right( like not go over 15mph). That's just what I think. On the compression check the tester goes in at the plug. Just make sure to get the right size for the plug hole. Duke are you getting alot of blow by? If not I'd skip the compression test. Sorry, my last post was so vague.

keep'em flying!
Bloop

motor problem!

Post by Bloop »

I have a 2.2 Cavalier that currently bogs down and misses horribly -- but only after a hard rain. Mine has the original coil packs at 126,000 miles, but newer plugs and wires, so I'm guessing one of the coil packs is bad or cracked ... could be your problem? (Not familiar with Quad-4s ... if those have coil-on-plug ignition, your problem might lie elsewhere.)

Duke 3D

motor problem!

Post by Duke 3D »

im not familar with the coil packs. can you tell me where they are? also can you tell me where the timing chain is. i useally work on rear wheel drive cars. not to famillar with front wheel drive cars. also where can i get a compression tester and what is the price?

Duke 3D
Money pit Beretta

motor problem!

Go to the plugs and check where the wires go(that will take you to the coils). The timing chain is in the front of engine (passenger side), you will need to take the pulley off the crankshaft and the cover to look at it. There is a puller needed to take the pulley off (a small one, you can't use the same one you have for a V8). With the work that you have done on RWD cars I trust that you know how to align the timing marks on the gears(also how to find TDC). On the compression tester, there are cheap ones and good ones(the cheap one will work, but it's up to you). Sears has them and most auto parts stores have the cheap ones. So you have too much blow by?

keep'em flying!
SuzukiGhostRider

motor problem!

Duke, seriously, not being a jerk, if you don't know where the timing chain is on a FWD then you should NOT be working on your car. Timing chains are located differently on RWD,but ALWAYS where the pulleys are. You should know that. I think you should take this car to a qualified mechanic. Again,not being a jerkoff, just trying to help you help yourself.

JeffD

motor problem!

Post by JeffD »

Go buy a haynes or chilton manual, they have good descriptions and pics that show you what they doing. you got an '88, I think the coil packs are located on the back side of the engine under the intake manifold. even if you don't know a whole lot about cars, you can figure it out with one of those manuals, it's how I got started.

1988 Beretta GT 5 speed - 1st car... Gone to the crusher. :(
1989 Beretta GT Z-51
1994 Beretta Z26 getting FE7+Z51 goodies
1987 Pontiac Bonneville LG3+4T65-E
1987 Chevrolet Celebrity Wagon L36+4T65-E
1998 Chevrolet C1500 5.7L L31+ built 4L60-E
SuzukiGhostRider

motor problem!

That's true, not saying he can't learn, but he might want to start small and work his way up. Anyway, good luck Duke.

speedygtz

motor problem!

Post by speedygtz »

so, you work on v8 cars and never did a fwd before, however you dont even know how to follow the wires to the coil pack?

as skg said, take it to someone who knows what there doing...

the z26 is on the road!
Money pit Beretta

motor problem!

So, what are you going to do Duke? It's a good idea to get a Chilton's, it will teach you much about your car. That's why I got one, there is always little things that you need to know to work on any car(there are strange things that car companys do to cars). Hope you get back on the road soon.

keep'em flying!
Duke 3D

motor problem!

Post by Duke 3D »

about taking it to a qualifide mechanic. ill never do that after the last gtz i owned they blew the motor up and refused to fix it. so i dont trust garages or shops. i would acuually rather fix it my self. do you know a repair manul website so i can print of detaild descriptions on repairing fwd berettas. post a link or send me a private message. thanks

Duke 3D
SuzukiGhostRider

motor problem!

Those sites are out there,but just go to Autozone or w/e and spend the $20. You'll make good use of the book and make it worth your money,trust me.

JeffD

motor problem!

Post by JeffD »

websites like what your looking for cost $$$ like Shopkey costs like 2000  a year or so go to a parts store and pick up one, you can get em on Ebay too.
take the car to a shop to have them at least diagnose it, there is no harm in that. once they figure it out then you can fix it.

1988 Beretta GT 5 speed - 1st car... Gone to the crusher. :(
1989 Beretta GT Z-51
1994 Beretta Z26 getting FE7+Z51 goodies
1987 Pontiac Bonneville LG3+4T65-E
1987 Chevrolet Celebrity Wagon L36+4T65-E
1998 Chevrolet C1500 5.7L L31+ built 4L60-E
Money pit Beretta

motor problem!

SGR is right, buy the manual. By the way Chilton's manuals have the most info. Also I have to back up scberetta3800. Also if you take it to a shop and something goes wrong they will have to eat the cost, not you. You can always learn how to do it later. With the shop, you could have your car back in a day. Looks like you have alot of support here, do what you feel is best for you.

keep'em flying!