button start engine?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: button start engine?

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Loosenut did it, remember seeing it in one of his videos that he tried to claim he had a 13.1 sec beretta... But yes its possible, all you would have to do is find the wires that control the start function and re-wire them to a button rather than the key.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Several guys on NastyZ28 have done this and then weren't so happy with it once it was done. You still have to turn the key to the on position before starting...so you're actually creating more work.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

BANZAI wrote:
3X00-Modified wrote:Loosenut did it, remember seeing it in one of his videos that he tried to claim he had a 13.1 sec beretta... But yes its possible, all you would have to do is find the wires that control the start function and re-wire them to a button rather than the key.
Ok! Thanks for this! But I not found this user on the forum...
He is long since gone after faking his own death and moving out of the country... So yeah there is nothing to find on him, I just knew he did it and I was planning on doing it sometime as well I've just never gotten around to it.
woody90gtz wrote:Several guys on NastyZ28 have done this and then weren't so happy with it once it was done. You still have to turn the key to the on position before starting...so you're actually creating more work.
Depending on how you do it you could eliminate that but then you would have to eliminate the steering wheel lock mechanism so you wouldn't have to engage a key at all... (we have a mechanical lock system unlike some newer electronic ones.)

It all depends on how deep you want to go and what you can find out there for buttons that would allow only you to start it some way.

Modern cars its a wireless keyfob that enables the other solenoids and systems like turning the key to the on position would do so all you have to do is touch the start button.

MKI technologies makes a system for Fords and they use some different things to add the security back from removing the key, it's also a multi button system, one for the ignition on and one for the start, or three one for acessories, one for ignition and one for start.
Security

We always recommend an aftermarket alarm system with an onboard starter kill with any car. If you already have one, let us know and we'll include instructions on how to integrate the MKI system with your current alarm system. If your vehicle doesn't have an aftermarket alarm system, it's a good idea to incorporate some form of security feature into keyless ignition setup so that your car can't be stolen without a key. Here are your options in terms of security features:

• Hidden master kill switch ($15) - A master kill would be something that disables the start and/or the ignition buttons for the car. Place this switch in a hidden spot in your car and flip it to send power to the ignition switch and start buttons. Typically we use aircraft toggle switches and mount the cover backwards. This means that to send power to the starter motor, flip the switch to the ON position by closing the cover. Open the cover and flip the switch to the OFF position to kill power to the ignition system.

• Reed switch activated starter kill ($20) - A reed switch is a switch that's activated by a magnetic field. In quite a few MKI systems, we've incorporated a reed switch inline with the power wire going to the start button and routed the reed switch behind the cup holder. Carry the supplied coin coin magnet on your keychain and drop your keys into the cup holder for the car to start (the magnet on the keychain toggles the reed switch and sends power to the start button). It's a simple but clever system, very few people would be able to figure that out, let alone carry around a magnet with them. Please see the videos section for a simple demonstration.

• Factory Security Add-On ($50) - This is a full featured alarm system add-on for the Ford factory alarm system and includes shock sensor and alarm siren. This system can be used as a stand-alone alarm system but can also integrate with the MKI system to disable the starter when the system is armed (doors locked).

• Remote triggered starter immobilizer ($35) - This is an additional add-on to my system that will shut off power to your starter relay when it is armed. A remote is included that looks similar to your vehicle's keyless entry remote. Press the disarm button and the start button will function; arm the module, and the start button will not receive power.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

An interesting story I read about it too...

Aparently if you add a conveience and then the end user gets too lazy its now your fault... Good ole America Make it difficult and I'll complain make it easy and I'll hurt myself or others and the sue you!

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/02/is- ... kfire.html

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
scannerman

Post by scannerman »

Mr mike had done this as well. His ignition switch went out so he just wired up a push button start. Worked well. He always left the keys in the ignition and nobody every stole it.

2009 Cobalt SS LNF
1995 Z26 3100 auto <--- Totalled
1989 base 2.8 auto <-- Sold
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

I have worked/owned/driven lots of cars and I have never felt a need to take apart a working ignition system to make it ricer approved.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

He currently has a broke ignition switch actuator and I guess hasn't taken up anyones offer on parts to try in it to see if they are right... He's just said the teeth don't look right in pictures... so yeah sounds like he's still out of a working ignition.

It's not really ricer either... my father inlaws Healey is a key on push button start... that's just how they were back in the day and some people like that. Now a pulsing red engine start button... Yeah maybe I'll give that as ricer... lol

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Gotta get one of the airplane switches with the flip up cover and red LED.

99GaGT3X00

Post by 99GaGT3X00 »

question with this will it still start with the key only or would it require a key turn then a push of the button.

if it's the latter then i would put the button somewhere out of sight but still easily reachable for you. kind of like a little security measure.

3400/3500 Hybrid
227/233@.050 .515.515 lift 112LSA
15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400

99 Grand Am GT------03 Subaru Outback H6
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Barry wrote:Gotta get one of the airplane switches with the flip up cover and red LED.
I have one of those switches for my nitrous and the red LED is on the pillar... Do I need to kick your arse?
99GaGT3X00 wrote:question with this will it still start with the key only or would it require a key turn then a push of the button.

if it's the latter then i would put the button somewhere out of sight but still easily reachable for you. kind of like a little security measure.
If you look at the link I posted you can do it many of ways... it can be ONLY a button that will crank when the key is turned on, (way that Woody said some don't like the "extra step") Or it can be one button for Accessories, and one for Ignition and then on for start... 3 button system, But I would suggest an alarm with starter inhibit installed... and then the other way is to have yes a hidden switch that would enable the system and then have either two buttons for Ignition/acc and start, or the three like above... They had the option of a hidden security button, OR a magnetic switch that goes inline on the start button, so yes someone could turn the ignition on but not start it unless they rip apart your dash and hotwire it...

Thats the one thing I don't like about it... Your taking wires that were once in the dash and column, (sometimes hard to get to) and putting them right in the center console which in my opinion is easier to rip apart and hotwire. But I guess thats why they recommend the alarm so it will make noise and also break the start link wire somewhere under the dash.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Ill let it slide.... I still have a pep boys clutch pedal cover

99GaGT3X00

Post by 99GaGT3X00 »

3X00-Modified wrote:
Barry wrote:Gotta get one of the airplane switches with the flip up cover and red LED.
I have one of those switches for my nitrous and the red LED is on the pillar... Do I need to kick your arse?
99GaGT3X00 wrote:question with this will it still start with the key only or would it require a key turn then a push of the button.

If you look at the link I posted you can do it many of ways... it can be ONLY a button that will crank when the key is turned on, (way that Woody said some don't like the "extra step") Or it can be one button for Accessories, and one for Ignition and then on for start... 3 button system, But I would suggest an alarm with starter inhibit installed... and then the other way is to have yes a hidden switch that would enable the system and then have either two buttons for Ignition/acc and start, or the three like above... They had the option of a hidden security button, OR a magnetic switch that goes inline on the start button, so yes someone could turn the ignition on but not start it unless they rip apart your dash and hotwire it...

Thats the one thing I don't like about it... Your taking wires that were once in the dash and column, (sometimes hard to get to) and putting them right in the center console which in my opinion is easier to rip apart and hotwire. But I guess thats why they recommend the alarm so it will make noise and also break the start link wire somewhere under the dash.
My Z26 had a kill switch on the bottom of the dash in front of the kick panel. found that out the hard way when i replaced the kick panel speakers. must have hit the switch when i put the kick panel back in and spent the afternoon trying to figure out why my car wouldn't start.

i wouldn't use this as a sole security system.

3400/3500 Hybrid
227/233@.050 .515.515 lift 112LSA
15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400

99 Grand Am GT------03 Subaru Outback H6