88 3400 swap help

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
apay

88 3400 swap help

Post by apay »

i have a 88 beretta that was 2.8 i bought a 3400 for it how do get the pressure tank for the coolant to mount in need help asap

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: 88 3400 swap help

Post by 3X00-Modified »

You don't have to use the pressure style tank... You can keep the original 2.8 style cooling system.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Radiator too, as I'm sure you know.
I'm waiting to see what you do with the coolant by-pass tube that is connected to the lower intake. I'm having a bit of trouble with that on my 3400 intakes on the 3100.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Tap the intake and install the outlet for the 3100... Or take the press in style and re-bend it or cut it off and braze it to the original 3100 style tube to make it work. I've done all three options on different engines.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

What car did you get the press in off of? I got one of a GA and bent it straight and there was just no way to line it up. Did you use a tubing bender?

Yeah I'm kicking myself for not just waiting for some ported and tapped intakes from Ben. I just didn't think that I had the time to wait back then. The gaskets had been leaking for a long time and it was the last three day weekend of the year when I did it.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I used the pressed pipe from a Monte I believe but I welded it to the stock pipe so it lined up properly, and Roberts engine I twisted it and re-bent it using heat. My first 3400 I did I just got a pipe tap from McMaster and tapped the port myself and used the stock Beretta parts.

You can see the weld joint on this pic of the one on my 96

and you can see how I re-bent Roberts to work, but his headers are completely different. The stock hose didn't work perfectly, I had to mix and match applications, I'm not positive on what I ended up with.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Thank you for the photos! Mine looks like the 1st one, less the fact that I have a small piece of rubber hose connecting the press in to the stock tube. My stock bracket is very weak and flexes. All I have to do is hit the gas and get the "passing gear" and the press in will pop out. I went to GM to get the right O-ring, but that thing is not fat enough to hold it in under pressure. Everything is fine as long as I ease up to speed.

The GA tube that I have uses a stud where the mount bolts to the head. This happens to be where the fuel line bracket is. The mount on the GA tube is right where I would need to bend the tube and then it would be pointless to use the GA tube.

It's nice to be the only one that has had this problem. :o

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I used the lowest bolt hole on the head to bolt that tube there and hold it in place on the 96, No rubber in my setup so its a solid held in place tube. I had to put a dent in my tube to fit the Coolant temp sensor in the stock 3500 location since that was so close.

On Roberts it bolts up higher where the stock 96 fuel line bracket is bolted.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

I sure wish that the rubber was the problem. I just put two O-rings on mine this weekend because I couldn't get the 3400 tube(just like Roberts) on. I grabbed the stock 3100 tube(with the rubber tube off) an that is for sure were all the give is. I could see the lower mount flexing.
So if your 96 mount is more stiff than my 95 I may try to find one in the JY. Or ask for one here.

What did you use for heat to bend the tube? How did you keep it from kinking?

Just for fun I took some photo's of the way I have it set up now. I can post them if you want to take a look. Really I'm sure you have seen enough of them and they are not needed.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I'd like to see what you have going on because non of the ones I did have leaked... and the two that are press in were held differently.

I just used a small cutting torch to heat the pipe, and I just bent slow and used a die to give it a radius, it worked ok since I didn't have to bend it much.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
apay

Post by apay »

My rad has no cap on the 2.8 it's mounted on the water pump I'm just buying a rad with cap

Money pit Beretta

Oh yeah I've seen that in photos and the JY. Moving up to the newer style pumps is going to help you out in the long run. Bet your glad to be rid of that old pump.

3X00 can I PM you those photos? I've done a hell of high jack of this topic, but I guess that some of this could be used by apay.

keep'em flying!
apay

Post by apay »

Yes it was all helpful soon to make a build thread

Money pit Beretta

Good, I felt bad about jacking this more or less. It's just been damn frustrating.

keep'em flying!
apay

Post by apay »

Ya I understand I'm rebuilding my beretta and putting a gtz kit on it